CBB Coaching Carousel (Updated List 4/24)

40 minutes of Hell

Tennessee hasn't won a conference tournament since the 70s. One Elite 8 appearance in HISTORY. Arkansas has a natty, a runner up, another FF and at least one more Elite 8. If Men's Basketball can become relevant at Tennessee, Arkansas CERTAINLY has the money, finances and resources to resurrect their basketball program.
No kidding. There's a tendency to think because of the last couple years Tennessee has some kind of basketball bonafides that go way back. We actually don't. We haven't even been to a Final Four, much less a title game or won a title, and if it wasn't for 2010 we wouldn't even have been to the Elite Eight.

Reactions: BUBear
Arkansas hasn’t been relevant in basketball in 20 years. Kentucky, Tennesssee, Florida are clearly better jobs and I would have a couple other places ahead of Arkansas. Sure you had a young team in 2019, that’s not ideal. But Anderson would build on that and get you back in the tournament.

I refuse to believe Arkansas will get a legitimate head coach until I see it.

I just don't think a "better job" changes on the drop of a hat based on who is winning at the current time. You can be a good job and not have sustained success for one reason or another due to bad hires, recruiting misses, etc. Florida wasn't much of anything in basketball before the late 90's/Billy Donovan era. Their fan support is pretty terrible given the success they've had lately. I just don't see how Anderson would have done much without Gafford who carried the team at times, he was about to reach for some JUCO big men to desperately fill out the roster. If he did make the tournament he probably would have lost in the first round again, rinse and repeat.

Arkansas hired Dana Altman until he changed his mind a few days later due to our APR situation and culture/character problems with the roster at the time. Probably would be in a very different position right now if he had stayed.

Reactions: BUBear
Nebraska has parted ways with coach Tim Miles after seven seasons, the team announced on Tuesday.

The favorite to replace Miles is former Iowa State and Chicago Bulls head coach Fred Hoiberg, multiple sources told ESPN. Hoiberg, 46, was fired by the Bulls in December but has interest in returning to college basketball. He was also linked to the vacant UCLA job, but Nebraska has already reached out to him and there is mutual interest from Hoiberg, sources told ESPN.
Speaking of the Bulls, don't be surprised if Bill Self takes that job...three steps ahead of the NCAA posse.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
Sampson would be a good hire sure, but I don’t believe that’s gonna happen.

Arkansas hasn’t been relevant in basketball in 20 years. Kentucky, Tennesssee, Florida are clearly better jobs and I would have a couple other places ahead of Arkansas. Sure you had a young team in 2019, that’s not ideal. But Anderson would build on that and get you back in the tournament.

I refuse to believe Arkansas will get a legitimate head coach until I see it.
Not sure if this qualifies as a splash type hire but I've heard the name Eric Musselman mentioned in association with the Arkansas job. The really intriguing name though is Thad Matta. If his health issues have improved then that could/would be a splash hire.

Better than 3 tournaments in 8 years and never making it out of the first weekend? A&M just fired a coach with two sweet 16s lol and they don’t have near the history.

Reporters saying that Arkansas could pay up to $4 million for the next coach and they believe it will be the first time ever at Arkansas that the basketball coach makes more than the football coach
I believe it to be true that Arkansas is willing to pay their next coach that kind of money. I don't know anything about y'all's new AD but I think it would be unwise of him to enter into a bidding war with Tilman Fertitta for a coach (Kelvin Sampson) who will be age 65 next season. Let him retire at Houston and go after younger blood.

Cal Poly is expected to name John Smith as their next head basketball coach at a 4:00pm press conference on Thursday. Smith has been the associate head coach at Cal State Fullerton for the past six seasons. Before that, he went 96-87 (.693) in nine seasons as the head coach at Riverside City College (CA).

St. Joseph’s has reached agreement with Billy Lange for the 76ers assistant coach to take over as head coach of the Hawks, according to several sources.

• I have heard from multiple sources that Austin Peay assistant coach Rick Cabrera will interview at Tennessee Tech today. Cabrera is a TTU alum who just wrapped up his second season at APSU. He served as an assistant at Tennessee Tech from 2012-17, and also worked at Chattanooga.
  • Last week, I mentioned some names at BYU – I’ve now been told to add Utah Jazz assistant Alex Jensen to that list. The former player at Utah has also been an assistant at St. Louis, and in the NBA G-League.
  • I have heard that a current head coach in the Horizon League has interviewed for the Georgia State job late last week. More on this search soon…

VN Store

Back