Carolina/Duke Basketball: The 2022-2023 Thread Celebrating the Tarheel Final Four Victory over Coach K in his Final Game

In a way I’m glad the season is over.
I don’t know if it’s coaching, problems in the locker room or a combination of both.

To start out #1 and fall so far so fast is something I’ve never seen in my lifetime. To have that caliber of talent at every position and at times look like they’re clueless is a first. The body language between Davis and Love tonight was very telling IMO. I don’t think anyone could convince me that losing one player caused this mess of a season.

Do I think they move on from Davis soon no but I’m sure that the fat cats want the ship fixed quick.

@RDU VOL#14 and other residents devils good games against your hated rivals. They earned it this season. Congrats to them. We’ll see y’all next year!

I don’t know if it’s coaching, problems in the locker room or a combination of both.

To start out #1 and fall so far so fast is something I’ve never seen in my lifetime. To have that caliber of talent at every position and at times look like they’re clueless is a first. The body language between Davis and Love tonight was very telling IMO. I don’t think anyone could convince me that losing one player caused this mess of a season.

Do I think they move on from Davis soon no but I’m sure that the fat cats want the ship fixed quick.

@RDU VOL#14 and other residents devils good games against your hated rivals. They earned it this season. Congrats to them. We’ll see y’all next year!
Thanks Dudley. You’re always a good adversary. It’s been a weird year . I don’t think they move off of Hubert next year unless it’s an absolutely catastrophic year. I do think that Hubert needs to get Carolina to at least a 5 or 6 seed in the tournament next year. A top 4 finish in the ACC would go a long way as well. This is 2 years in a row where UNC has been a regular season bubble team. I think Manek was WAY undervalued last season. He was making 3 3’s a game at this point last year. That’s incredibly difficult to replace.

I think it depends on who the player is. Take Duke for example. Proctor became the PG, but the team works through Roach. It was disastrous when Roach was out and they tried to work through Filipowski. I can’t stand his play, but he’s immensely talented. But he’s not someone Duke was able to create through. They are almost a different team now.

Going to be interesting to see how Tennessee can operate without ZZ in a similar situation.

Tough to fire a guy a season removed from being in the championship game, whether you’re Carolina or a Northwestern type. Davis knows he has to show something next year though imo

Bacot: “Pressure and expectations got to us”
I don’t believe that for a second. If that is true, that’s 100 percent on Hubert. Only Matt Doherty has lost more games in his first 2 years than Hubert. He pretty much was the opposite. He won a lot early and then lost like 6 straight weekends or something down the stretch .

Reactions: Pennheel
I think it depends on who the player is. Take Duke for example. Proctor became the PG, but the team works through Roach. It was disastrous when Roach was out and they tried to work through Filipowski. I can’t stand his play, but he’s immensely talented. But he’s not someone Duke was able to create through. They are almost a different team now.

Going to be interesting to see how Tennessee can operate without ZZ in a similar situation.

Tough to fire a guy a season removed from being in the championship game, whether you’re Carolina or a Northwestern type. Davis knows he has to show something next year though imo

This Duke team is very similar to the 2010 team. I’m not saying they’re as good by any means, but very similar. They moved the traditional point off the ball with Roach playing the 2 like they did w/ Nolan Smith and Scheyer running the point . The team relies on rebounding, D and second Chance opportunities to grind out wins.

I know you don’t like Filipowski, but his game is very, very similar to a certain big guy that played in the early 90’s. You guys can kill me for that, but when I watch him play his skill set is very similar to Laettner.

I don’t believe that for a second. If that is true, that’s 100 percent on Hubert. Only Matt Doherty has lost more games in his first 2 years than Hubert. He pretty much was the opposite. He won a lot early and then lost like 6 straight weekends or something down the stretch .

I’ll take readily available excuse for 1000.

This Duke team is very similar to the 2010 team. I’m not saying they’re as good by any means, but very similar. They moved the traditional point off the ball with Roach playing the 2 like they did w/ Nolan Smith and Scheyer running the point . The team relies on rebounding, D and second Chance opportunities to grind out wins.

I know you don’t like Filipowski, but his game is very, very similar to a certain big guy that played in the early 90’s. You guys can kill me for that, but when I watch him play his skill set is very similar to Laettner.
I can see that. I feel like Hurley and the Hills created a lot more that then freed up Laettner.. I’m a lot more calm when they spread the flour and Filipowski isn’t trying to create in 1 on 3 situation

Last edited:
I can give a Dookie credit when it’s due. JJ Redick straight up murdered Kendrick Perkins on ESPN today and it was well deserved and hilarious.

😂 Even as a Carolina fan,that made me laugh.... Virginia is a winnable game,but tough to prepare for in 24 hours. A must win game. As long as Bacot is 100 percent.
That’s a tough turnaround. You guys have shown you can beat them pretty well. If you show up w/ a lot of energy and some fight I wouldn’t be surprised to see UNC get a W. A UNC vs State Friday night semifinal in Greensboro would have that place rocking.

Reactions: Pennheel

I see the comp, and I know Laettner stayed 4 years to just this one for Filipowski, but I feel like Laettner was a much smoother basketball player, more consistent, and just looked more natural out there. I think as a freshman, he had Danny Ferry getting all the attention in the front court, so there was less focus on him, so it's hard to compare their freshman years. But I can overall see the comparison.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I see the comp, and I know Laettner stayed 4 years to just this one for Filipowski, but I feel like Laettner was a much smoother basketball player, more consistent, and just looked more natural out there. I think as a freshman, he had Danny Ferry getting all the attention in the front court, so there was less focus on him, so it's hard to compare their freshman years. But I can overall see the comparison.
Laettner did have Danny Ferry when he was a freshman, and I think Laettner only averaged 8ppg that season. I think Filipowski’s game is similar being that they’re both around 7 feet, they could shoot the 3, can put the ball on the floor and also have a solid game on the block. I think you’re right that Laettner looked a little more polished and athletic, but I do think that even though there have guys of similar size that his game reminds me most of Laettner’s than anyone in the past 30 years.

It's a ten point lead for Virginia, but with the way they play, it feels like 20. It's not over by any means, but it just feels like it. Carolina has no answer for Virginia. I was afraid of this.

Maybe I spoke too soon

VN Store

Back