Can we be serious here for a moment I: I don't understand the tattoo fad

lawgator1

And isn't that what it is? And aren't the people who get them, particularly young women, going to regret it later in life? People with tattoos on their faces and necks, unless they are in a prison gang, yuck. (Ok, yuck even then).

Now, perhaps I'm just too old to see the attraction (in my 40s) but I've felt this way since I was in my 40s, and it seems like its been in the last decade or so that this has become such a thing. But geez, loweez, Daddies if you don't want your little girls to grow up to be strippers, will you please put the kibosh on this fad !!

Can you imagine how these young people are going to feel about how they look in their 70s?

And isn't that what it is? And aren't the people who get them, particularly young women, going to regret it later in life? People with tattoos on their faces and necks, unless they are in a prison gang, yuck. (Ok, yuck even then).

Now, perhaps I'm just too old to see the attraction (in my 40s) but I've felt this way since I was in my 40s, and it seems like its been in the last decade or so that this has become such a thing. But geez, loweez, Daddies if you don't want your little girls to grow up to be strippers, will you please put the kibosh on this fad !!

Can you imagine how these young people are going to feel about how they look in their 70s?
In my 70s.
It's a fad that comes and goes. I recall men from WW2 and Korea that had them, but I only recall seeing them on their arms. Many of those men tried to have them removed. That never seemed to work.
Never saw them on girls/women until recent years. I suspect they will regret gettiing them later in life?

Reactions: Vol737

I can't say I fully understand the fad either; never have (and I'm in my 40s as well). The only exception is some pals of mine who were in the military, I get that...maybe signifying connection to their unit, a significant deployment, or commemorating a fallen friend, etc. But a woman with a sleeve tattoo, for example? That's not attractive to me in the least (and I'm well aware that probably doesn't matter to them so in a way such markings are beneficial, pehaps). Generally speaking, wait a decade or three and their tatted-up arm or leg is likely going to look like a melting mass of Crayolas as fitness and firmness inevitably fade.

eh, imo its a vanity thing. like dying your hair, or having certain haircuts, or whatever.

People think it will help with their self confidence issues, probably because they are unhappy with their physical appearance, and they convince themselves that some artificial exterior change will help. Problem is they typically choose something important to themselves and no one else, so it doesn't change any one else's thoughts on them, which wasn't the issue in the first place. and then for themselves it doesn't fix their original problem with their physical appearance, usually its a weight issue and not that you don't have some colorful doodle on you that is the appearance issue. Which is why you see so many add more and more, its like any self-delusion, they tell themselves that if they just get enough that will fix their problem, but it never does.

or if they are trying to cover up psychological issues, its the same thing. a physical response to an emotional issue isn't going to resolve/address the underlying issue. Now some people may actually find comfort remembering a lost one with a tattoo and I can see that working, but a tattoo isn't going to fix that your parent's didn't love you enough, or too much.

most people get suckered into it because they see other people doing it, and convince themselves that is what they are missing to make themselves happy. Others who do it to make themselves different, miss that they are making themselves less unique. anyone could get that tattoo, only they could be themselves.

They started becoming more acceptable in the 90s and have become steadily more prevalent ever since. I'm a 40 something with no tattoos. But I see them all over the place, in every profession. I work in workforce development and career service btw.

After 30 years, they aren't a fad and folks that get them aren't doomed to be strippers anymore. I'm sure we'll see their popularity wane somewhat, eventually. It's hard for them to get more popular than they are now. I'm also sure it will rise again at some later point. More people have them than you realize. They aren't going anywhere.

Last edited:
I understand and would not quibble with men or women in the military, or something similar, getting a tattoo to signify their solidarity with something so important. Its the ones that appear to be purely "look at me!" that drive me nuts.

Same with people in cars playing music so loudly it rattles the hub caps. It cannot possibly be enjoyable, and is a cry for attention. Thing is, you can turn the music off. Tattoo removal is not so easy.

The response to this will likely track exactly with people’s age… but I don’t get it either. I’ve also figured out that people get sensitive talking about this and it‘s impossible to point out bad ones even if they’re stupid as hell lol.

Reactions: Toujours Pret
That aren't a good idea in general, since they degrade over time. I have no doubt a lot of people will regret them. Face/neck/hand tattoos in particular blow my mind.

But employers just don't care anymore as long as the tatoo itself isn't offensive. I just chalk it up to not my cup of tea and move on. Heck my wife has a pair of tatoos, not that you world ever know it when she's in buisness dress.

That aren't a good idea in general, since they degrade over time. I have no doubt a lot of people will regret them. Face/neck/hand tattoos in particular blow my mind.

But employers just don't care anymore as long as the tatoo itself isn't offensive. I just chalk it up to not my cup of tea and move on. Heck my wife has a pair of tatoos, not that you world ever know it when she's in buisness dress.
Of course what's acceptable today, might be a problem in the future, a rebel flag (or Butch Jones) tattoo would not have prevented you from being hired in the 80's but today????

Of course what's acceptable today, might be a problem in the future, a rebel flag (or Butch Jones) tattoo would not have prevented you from being hired in the 80's but today????
True. It's the risk you run with something permanent. I don't even want to think about a Lyle tatoo. Gonna have nightmares now.

I have seen some that look great, some that look horrible. I think for some it's young mistakes. For others, it's not.

I'm with ya. Never appealed to me. I'm 34, I've never ever looked at something and had the thought "I want this tattooed on my body forever." It just has never crossed my mind. I do feel bad for some people because they think they won't look bad until they get old. Most of them are going to look bad in 5-10 years.

VN Store

Back