Can Someone Remind Me Why We Are So Worried About WVU Again?!?

Some people just can't comprehend the impact a hc has on a football team. I had a guy tell me one time that Saban wasn't worth all the money that Bama was paying him and went on to say that he really didn't have much to do with those championships. A lot of people think that HCs are just recruiters and basic game planners and have little impact on player development. A lot of people will have trouble getting the Butch stench out of their nostrils until they smell something sweet again. You are right though...if you can go from 9-4 to 4-8, then the opposite is true as well. There is talent here and there is not reason we shouldn't be able to contend with WV.
Same kind of people who complain about CEO salaries. Good leadership is ALWAYS behind good performance. Leaders as good as Saban is in his profession are rare. You don't have to be loved. George Patton was hated by his men. You don't have to have any particular personality type. You have to have the ability to get people to see what's possible, agree with your goals, and then to set them up for success. You can say, "Yeah that and a bunch of 5* recruits".... but those best players want to play for a coach who will help them win and become the best they can be. They want to play for a great leader.

Jones could "sell" it. But like many said in the first couple of years... there comes a time when you have to prove it. He couldn't while guys like Saban have.

I am fully aware of Florida’s issues. Right now, they stink. And if we were playing West Virginia I’d be concerned because right now, until proven otherwise, Florida stinks

The same is true for Tennessee whether people want to acknowledge it or not.

All of the talent those two teams supposedly have was last seen getting skull drug by anyone they faced
And again... this time the short version... stop telling us how we aren't "humble" enough to suit YOU.

You have been this way since we first ran across each other. Always lecturing UT fans on how they really had no right to expect more....

I just don't understand why so many people on here think we cannot win this game...
YES ..I get it we sucked last year..Bad coaching and players mailing it in...
also a new COACHING STAFF....emphasis on COACH....
These VOLS PLAYERS are hungry and want to learn how to get better and will do whatever it takes....They just needed guidance and direction..which they are getting now...
We will be better on both sides of the ball this year with this COACHING STAFF...
This game against WV is winnable...They have no idea what offense or defense we will running...
CJP will probalbly bring pressure a lot against Grier...
I BELIEVE in this COACHING STAFF and the young men who will be wearing the POWER T......
I cannot think we will lose any game before the first snap has even been played....
GBO

I just don't understand why so many people on here think we cannot win this game...
YES ..I get it we sucked last year..Bad coaching and players mailing it in...
also a new COACHING STAFF....emphasis on COACH....
These VOLS PLAYERS are hungry and want to learn how to get better and will do whatever it takes....They just needed guidance and direction..which they are getting now...
We will be better on both sides of the ball this year with this COACHING STAFF...
This game against WV is winnable...They have no idea what offense or defense we will running...
CJP will probalbly bring pressure a lot against Grier...
I BELIEVE in this COACHING STAFF and the young men who will be wearing the POWER T......
I cannot think we will lose any game before the first snap has even been played....
GBO
it's not a giant leap to look at the two teams coming off last year and who's returning, the coaching situation etc....and easily think WVU should win this game.

i said it before, and i'll say it again...we have A TON of "new" headed in to 2018. and it's a lot to ask all of it to come together in a single off season and it translate to really immediate success on the field. even if we're better than many think, it's still a tall order.

that said, there's nothing that says we can't win a game or two that we're not supposed to, and if we do happen to get more right answers to all the questions we DO have, then yeah, i agree with stj, man for man, we're not David, and WVU certainly isn't Goliath.

we'll find out in 3 weeks. it's game 1, neutral site. WVU has loads of expectations and hype for this season. we're a doormat. we'll see who lives up the the perception.

Reactions: Remy
I think if we can keep Will on his back a lot, and running for his life we should beat West Virginia, the Vols were so out of sync last year with the injuries, coach on the hot seat, and bad coaching on offense and defense, I believe things are looking up for the Vols. we win 24 to 14.

Some people just can't comprehend the impact a hc has on a football team. I had a guy tell me one time that Saban wasn't worth all the money that Bama was paying him and went on to say that he really didn't have much to do with those championships. A lot of people think that HCs are just recruiters and basic game planners and have little impact on player development. A lot of people will have trouble getting the Butch stench out of their nostrils until they smell something sweet again. You are right though...if you can go from 9-4 to 4-8, then the opposite is true as well. There is talent here and there is not reason we shouldn't be able to contend with WV.

Auburn is a prime example after firing Chizik. Auburn went from 3-9 in Chizik’s last year to the NC game in Malzahn’s first year. By no means am I saying that we’re gonna do the same, but that is a huge leap after a coaching change, unheard of really. Of course they haven’t done anything since, but still.

I'm not saying we won't beat WVU. In fact, I think we will, but it won't be easy. I don't care about their schedule last year...they have a very good offense. WVU has never been #1 in any sport. They've never held a #1 ranking, NOT ONCE in football or basketball or baseball. You think the Vols get no respect? WVU has never received ANY amount of respect. Add to that the "Wrong Turn" movie series, the fact the next "Fallout" game will be based in WV, and you get a chip on the shoulder the size of a 12th man. We're going to have a fight on our hands for sure.

I understand people are going to think im like crazy here,but I keep getting this feeling this is like the cal game! They were ranked pretty high;it was 35 -0 before you could blink an eye!I know im dreaming,but geez that would be one heck of a way to start the season!

I understand people are going to think im like crazy here,but I keep getting this feeling this is like the cal game! They were ranked pretty high;it was 35 -0 before you could blink an eye!I know im dreaming,but geez that would be one heck of a way to start the season!
I think West Virginia will stumble around to a 6-6 record in 2018 and Dana Holgorsen will be fired in December.

West Virginia's losses:
Tennessee
Iowa State
Texas
TCU
Oklahoma State
Oklahoma

What is your definition of relevant? Tennessee like most schools only has a couple of National Titles. In 1951 that was bogus. They only have 9 SEC titles that do not include ties or splits. If your definition of relevant is a title then you are a fan of the wrong program. This, like many, are not it. That being said, 17 years? In 2000 we were relevant says you? 8-4 that year. 01 we won 11. That must be your definition of relevant. 03 and 04 we won 10 games. Is that less relevant? In 07 they won 10. SEC East Winners in 04 and 07. That is less relevant then say 8-4 in 2000? This is about a historically 6-5 program. Take Phillip and Neyland out and it is barely above 500. Tennessee has won 10 games 20 times. Fulmer has 9 of those. That's in 120+ seasons. You might want to check your goals for this program. Historically they are down the list.

What? We are historically an 8-4 team even with all the bad records this last decade. 68% winning percentage.

Of course if you take a schools two best coaches records away the all time number looks way worse.

Are you sure you are a Vol "fan?" Seems like you are doing an awful lot to make our program look mediocre.

Its hard to win ten games when their were only ten or eleven game seasons until 2006. Hard to lose only one game in the year.

We should expect much more than you think.

Last edited:
i mean you watched the games/team last year right, thats reason enough.......
its not being worried, its being rational given the results....until otherwise proven, we arent that good, and offensively they (WVU) are that good, with a fairly solid QB at helm and receiving corps

Last edited:
it's not a giant leap to look at the two teams coming off last year and who's returning, the coaching situation etc....and easily think WVU should win this game.

i said it before, and i'll say it again...we have A TON of "new" headed in to 2018. and it's a lot to ask all of it to come together in a single off season and it translate to really immediate success on the field. even if we're better than many think, it's still a tall order.

that said, there's nothing that says we can't win a game or two that we're not supposed to, and if we do happen to get more right answers to all the questions we DO have, then yeah, i agree with stj, man for man, we're not David, and WVU certainly isn't Goliath.

we'll find out in 3 weeks. it's game 1, neutral site. WVU has loads of expectations and hype for this season. we're a doormat. we'll see who lives up the the perception.

That ton of “new” will equate good....180 degrees away from the cluster of the past decade...

Sure, it may not be immediate, but I have no hesitation in saying Pruitt is exactly what we need to turn this program around. And no hesitation in saying he will...sooner rather than later..

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
That ton of “new” will equate good....180 degrees away from the cluster of the past decade...

Sure, it may not be immediate, but I have no hesitation in saying Pruitt is exactly what we need to turn this program around. And no hesitation in saying he will...sooner rather than later..
agree, i think 2-3 years from now we'll probably be pretty happy with the state of the union. this year, just tough to call it, especially game to game. game 1 is game 1, and weird things happen all the time in season openers, so if for no other reason i'm not willing to write that game off just yet.

and i think we'll see some improvement as well. and i think we'll show signs of a team in transition at times too. just hope for more of the former, than latter.

I am fully aware of Florida’s issues. Right now, they stink. And if we were playing West Virginia I’d be concerned because right now, until proven otherwise, Florida stinks

The same is true for Tennessee whether people want to acknowledge it or not.

All of the talent those two teams supposedly have was last seen getting skull drug by anyone they faced
Where we differ is that we could give a crap about how your fanbase is grounded, but you offer free tutorials on this board on not having any optimism. 😏

Has everyone forgotten that WVU lost their last three. Including the bowl game to Utah? Yes, I know Grier wasn't on the field, but remember he did throw 12 interceptions and was helped by having Justin Crawford gaining 5 to 6 yds per carry. In Grier's last complete game he threw 2 INTs and only beat K St. by 5.

We aren't playing a playoff team.

Reactions: FïreBall
tennesse has a history of beating Heisman winners look at teterverde in 86 look at eddie George and a lot of you are worried about a Heisman potential?

tennesse has a history of beating Heisman winners look at teterverde in 86 look at eddie George and a lot of you are worried about a Heisman potential?
Teams that win 6-7 games don't have Heisman Trophy winning players(in the modern era) and i think WV goes 6-6.

Reactions: lonelawyer
We can definitely win a boat race with them. I'm not going to argue that one.
giphy.gif

Reactions: FïreBall
I for one think this team will actually come out strong. Last years team was in internal meltdown mode between players & coaches them coaches vs coaches. Any sport you play if the locker room is lost...mentally don’t give a damn anymore...you end up with the results we got. The players on this team ARE hungry. A lot of them came from big time Championship contending high schools. We all know they are humiliated from last season. They were on the cusp of beating Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky...they officially quit at that point. We will be healthy and ready to battle WVU. It will be NO cakewalk for them. We have one of the strongest and smartest defensive staffs in the country. We have Chandler, Jennings, Byrd, Wood-Anderson, Callaway, Johnson, Palmer, London, Jordan, Banks....we have playmakers and healthy in a West Coast style offense can be dangerous...talent has to stay healthy...believe they will win and fight for winning football.

VN Store

Back