Can Karoline Striplin step up?

Realizing that younger generations are more prone to instant gratification than some of us seniors, a study of sports history might help younger players develop patience. We oldsters remember when all freshmen were relegated to JV status regardless of talent. That included Lew Alcindor, who was such a dominating force that the NCAA adopted new rules across the board just because of him. In fact, his freshman team handily beat the varsity...which had just won a natty the year before and would go onto repeat that season. Imagine not even having the opportunity to play varsity ball when you are the best player in basketball and are good enough to immediately be a pro.

Bill Walton also played on the Freshmen team: 18.1 PPG. 68.6% FG.

It would be cool for the freshmen to play only against other freshmen in women's college basketball.

Reactions: krichunaka
If that was the case, I am worried about the coach's future.

I still haven't heard a compelling explanation to that Auburn game 1 qtr sub'ing.
Maybe I wouldn't be so harsh on Emily if she had come in just to sub for Key and had players around her who got a nice early lead.

My guess about that early mass substitution was that Kellie made a quick decision to just jump head first into seeing what that group was REALLY capable of doing — and it backfired bigtime.

In hindsight I’m sure she is kicking herself pretty hard, as she watched in horror the confidence her team came in with leave. And she knew it was on her.

But it remains to be seen whether her gamble might pay off going forward. It could. Or not. We’ll see soon enough.

I bet if she had that day to live again, she would have subbed for Key only. I agree that Emily needed more time with the main group to see if they could have gotten things clicking.

I never watched the second half, and I doubt I ever will. Better to have only 20 minutes to try to erase from my mind than a whole 40. 😂

I have no idea why Striplin gets no playing time. I am starting to expect to see her name in the transfer portal.
She’d be foolish to leave at this point. She’s likely to be a starter next year. See Tess Darby for an example.

kelly presser today said on key being sub out. karoline, sanders,dye get some time depens on team playing. and how they practice goes. she also said may go small some with four guards. karoline strplin is going to get her change. i for one think she do just fine. if rae can get to 32 mins like horston bench will have less pressure. as 97 team prove its best record team going in march but last team standing in april who wins the champship.

Bumping this thread to give an end-of-season shout out to Karoline, who showed steady improvement all year and proved that she can hold her own against tough competition. Kudos to Karo for having the patience and work ethic to wait for her numbet to be called and then to produce.

Really looking forward to seeing her get extended minutes next season as a 🔑 reserve (no pun). When Tamari gets into foul trouble or simply is having an off night (as in last game), the staff ought to feel very comfortable in bringing in Karoline. She is going to be a really solid rock in our program.

Nice going, young lady. The sky's the limit!

Bumping this thread to give an end-of-season shout out to Karoline, who showed steady improvement all year and proved that she can hold her own against tough competition. Kudos to Karo for having the patience and work ethic to wait for her numbet to be called and then to produce.

Really looking forward to seeing her get extended minutes next season as a 🔑 reserve (no pun). When Tamari gets into foul trouble or simply is having an off night (as in last game), the staff ought to feel very comfortable in bringing in Karoline. She is going to be a really solid rock in our program.

Agreed. She’s on her way to becoming a dynamite D1 player.

Kellie gave high praise for Karoline Striplin in her after Louisville game comments:

“Toughness is not just the physical, more importantly it's the mental and the emotional toughness that this group had. It's a long season. From top to bottom. You know, I will give you an example, Karoline Striplin was fantastic today. She didn't get a lot of minutes early in the season, and her and Kai Wynn got in the gym every single day, and they worked hard every single day.

That is really hard to do. That takes a love for the game. And those two did it, and they played big minute for us in the postseason. That's the toughness we had throughout the season from everybody. When you have everyone like that pulling together, it's just a good feeling and it's why we were able to accomplish what we did.”

I was one of the posters who, in the pre-season run-up, predicted Striplin would be providing productive minutes by the time the SEC portion of the schedule started, and I thought she could end up being the strongest freshman this season.

Obviously my gut feeling was off, as she is taking longer than I expected to get up to speed. That said, I am NOT counting Karoline out for being able to provide productive minutes from here on out. Will she need to grow up real darn fast? Yep. Will she need to figure out how to tamp down her self-doubts and JUST PLAY HARD? Yep. Will Striplin need to watch extra film and try to carve out some extra gym time with a willing teammate or two to get some extra confidence/muscle memory-building practice of her footwork and moves? Yep.

Do I believe Karoline Striplin will do everything in her power to step up for Keyen? Oh hellllll yes!!!!

You've got this, Karo!!!!!
This aged very well!

Horrible news but gotta look forward now 😞
Yes but need another post I don't think she is a true five. She will be in that position though if we decide not to get another post player. I would really like to see Karoline, Key. another post from the portal and Puckett as our inside group. I guess I could add Marta to that, but really don't know exactly what to expect from her after two seasons of mostly being injured. I am satisfied with a 2-3 combo of Jackson and Horston with Darby and Pissott in backup roles. I'd like to know where Kaiya fits in very good defensive player needing a lot of work on free throw shooting and total offensive game. I guess we could still go Powell, Walker, Miles at point guard. I don't know how that position will play out, but JMO think Powell will be the starter and most of the minutes. That is 12 players and really just like this season no minutes except in big win situations for Emily and Jessie. I have gave my reason for another post player which again are Key's inability to stay our of foul trouble and her sometimes ineffective play. She had many of those games this year and expect no way she will avoid them the next one. Any post we decided on would have to be someone with proven ability and experience. Karoline and Sarah have talent and think would be a solid combo for us as stretch fours. Both have nice range on the jump shot and are better equipped to guard inside when they can matchup with players their size. I don't know how we'd do a 12 man rotation or even an 11 but at this point that looks exactly where were headed.

Yes but need another post I don't think she is a true five. She will be in that position though if we decide not to get another post player. I would really like to see Karoline, Key. another post from the portal and Puckett as our inside group. I guess I could add Marta to that, but really don't know exactly what to expect from her after two seasons of mostly being injured. I am satisfied with a 2-3 combo of Jackson and Horston with Darby and Pissott in backup roles. I'd like to know where Kaiya fits in very good defensive player needing a lot of work on free throw shooting and total offensive game. I guess we could still go Powell, Walker, Miles at point guard. I don't know how that position will play out, but JMO think Powell will be the starter and most of the minutes. That is 12 players and really just like this season no minutes except in big win situations for Emily and Jessie. I have gave my reason for another post player which again are Key's inability to stay our of foul trouble and her sometimes ineffective play. She had many of those games this year and expect no way she will avoid them the next one. Any post we decided on would have to be someone with proven ability and experience. Karoline and Sarah have talent and think would be a solid combo for us as stretch fours. Both have nice range on the jump shot and are better equipped to guard inside when they can matchup with players their size. I don't know how we'd do a 12 man rotation or even an 11 but at this point that looks exactly where were headed.

The LVs have a history of big post players but I think the game might be shifting more toward small ball line-ups (with caveat being that for example the LVs small line-up includes many 6-2 and 6-3 players). I think a player like Karo who can stretch defenses with her mid range might make for a smoother offense. That old school "feed the post" set is pretty easy to defend and forcing the ball inside contributed to at lest 25% of the LVs turnovers this season. So, if the LVs have two offensive looks, one with or one without Key. that flexibility might have some advantages.

Last edited:
Can she step up defensively that's the question.Her strokes were money so offensively she ready right now

The LVs have a history of big post players but I think the game might be shifting more toward small ball line-ups (with caveat being that for example the LVs small line-up includes many 6-2 and 6-3 players). I think a player like Karo who can stretch defenses with her mid range might make for a smoother offense. That old school "feed the post" set is pretty easy to defend and forcing the ball inside contributed to at lest 25% of the LVs turnovers this season. So, if the LVs have two offensive looks, one with or one without Key. that flexibility might have some advantages.

Striplin doesn't have the handle to be C in a small ball lineup. She's got some range, but it's a set shot. Angel Reese is the prototypical C for a small ball lineup. She can defend inside and can post up, but she can also switch off and defend the perimeter, shoot off the bounce and attack the basket. Striplin cannot do those last three. Defenses will have to play her tighter, but ultimately she's easier to guard than Key and not as intimidating to go up against for players taking it inside.

VN Store

Back