Can Karoline Striplin step up?

I think she has a lot of fans pulling for her. That is different than a sober appraisal of her abilities. But she might just be the player fans are most happy to see do well. I think we are really glad to have her, especially right now.

What makes you think she has self-doubt or lacks for confidence? Sounds like maybe you are projecting your emotions about her onto her (no offense meant). From what I have seen of her on the court she looks very confident and is always willing to mix it up. She does not strike me as a shrinking violet, or overly sensitive type who gets into her own head. But maybe you have heard something I haven't.

I am eager to see more of what she can do, and Auburn may be the perfect team for her to get substantial minutes against.

No, you are probably right. Sometimes I think I see some hesitancy, and I tend to interpret that as doubt in young players.

Only thing I ever heard was way earlier in the season. I saw a sosh post (can't now remember where) that implied that Karo was hurt by people who'd had way too high expectations of her and were being overly critical. I guess from then on I've looked at her through that lens, and it could have never been fair.

We have all seen Emily having moments of outstanding play. The way she bothered Staiti, essentially shutting down that gravy train, WAS AMAZING.

I feel good about Emily stepping up to provide more minutes, too -- and think she WILL -- but Kellie will have to me really careful about the timing. Emily can fairly reliably put the ball in the hole if she gets ahold of it. Where I can see there being some problems is against those really quick teams. Emily would need (I think) to leak out a tad earlier than our other posts need to in order to get back down in time to help with defense.

Emily and Karoline need to join forces here and get some extra work in on their own.

Emily will likely have issues defending those agile 6'6" post players that can shoot the three and run the floor like an antelope. She does box out well from what I have watched and she has good touch around the basket. She has a game and Kellie should know how to use her by now.

Last edited:
No, you are probably right. Sometimes I think I see some hesitancy, and I tend to interpret that as doubt in young players.

Only thing I ever heard was way earlier in the season. I saw a sosh post (can't now remember where) that implied that Karo was hurt by people who'd had way too high expectations of her and were being overly critical. I guess from then on I've looked at her through that lens, and it could have never been fair.

Yeah, a lot of speculation gets remembered as fact sometimes.

We all do it.

We will see soon enough how she does. Long term, I think she will be pretty good. It is just a matter of when it clicks for her. Sara had tough games too so it won't all be smooth sailing no matter how it goes. But unlike last year when our depth was poor, we have options.

Yeah, a lot of speculation gets remembered as fact sometimes.

We all do it.

We will see soon enough how she does. Long term, I think she will be pretty good. It is just a matter of when it clicks for her. Sara had tough games too so it won't all be smooth sailing no matter how it goes. But unlike last year when our depth was poor, we have options.

Exactly.

I feel like, if need be, Sara is stout enough to give some minutes at low post. Yes, that obviously takes away her three-point threat, but I'm just saying IF Kellie gets in a bind, stick Sara in there and see if she coukd hold down the fort for a few minutes.

Was it the Texas game that Puckett caught fire and led us back from a deficit? In many ways she’s been more effective for us down low as she has been playing the wing. She seemed to have hit the freshman wall recently but she can now be an even more integral piece of this team moving forward.

Was it the Texas game that Puckett caught fire and led us back from a deficit? In many ways she’s been more effective for us down low as she has been playing the wing. She seemed to have hit the freshman wall recently but she can now be an even more integral piece of this team moving forward.

Can't recall Texas, but she certainly did vs. Va Tech.

I don't think Sara has hit the freshman wall as much as she's struggling for PT now that Rae is back and Tess has gotten into somewhat of a shooting groove.

Emily will likely have issues defending those agile 6'6" post players that can shoot the three or run the floor like an antelope. She does box out well from what I have watched and she has good touch around the basket. She has a game and Kellie should know how to use her by now.
Good news! Not a lot of 6’6” antelopes left on the schedule! Kidding😆
I am looking forward to Karo and Emily getting more minutes.

The major factor for Karoline is of course experience at this level. She didn't go up against many players her own size in high school and she dominated. I think with over a half season of practice going up against some very talented skilled players like Tamari and Keyen she should be ready to take on some of the minutes that Keyen was getting for the team. Were talking about 15 minutes a game so more likely to see both Emily and Karoline get the opportunity to play more, but I expect Puckett to take over most of Keyen's role. What the rotation may look like is Key, Horston, Dye, Burrell or Darby, and Walker starting. From that six I expect the first inside player off the bench to be Puckett, then Miles for Walker. For Striplin and Emily certainly will depend on foul trouble of any of the core group, but expect to see both in a lot of games.

Coach, in response to a question stated the LVs could play good defense with their front-line of defense on the bench BUT it would be different. another familiar comment - each player knows her role - we are very open in our conversations.

Three players will get more minutes for the rest of the season and each will be back next year with experience. And none of them will back-down,

I personally could provide numerous examples of players taking the position of injuried players, the LVs won a Championship when their only point guard broke her hand as one example.

Personally, I am somewhat surprised at the two related threads on the number of "doom and gloom" responses. Perhaps they are from individuals who understandably are affected by the greater world and national issues and it carries over to the board.

Does she have a face-up game at all???
She does
The major factor for Karoline is of course experience at this level. She didn't go up against many players her own size in high school and she dominated. I think with over a half season of practice going up against some very talented skilled players like Tamari and Keyen she should be ready to take on some of the minutes that Keyen was getting for the team. Were talking about 15 minutes a game so more likely to see both Emily and Karoline get the opportunity to play more, but I expect Puckett to take over most of Keyen's role. What the rotation may look like is Key, Horston, Dye, Burrell or Darby, and Walker starting. From that six I expect the first inside player off the bench to be Puckett, then Miles for Walker. For Striplin and Emily certainly will depend on foul trouble of any of the core group, but expect to see both in a lot of games.

Karoline didn't get her true competition in HS, indeed,,,but her AAU team has played against much bigger and much better competition than her HS...ANd I saw her on two occasions in tournaments,,,not worried!

She didn't come here to just sit on the bench and look pretty...
She'll be all Lady Vol....
TENNESSEE_STRIPLIN_KAROLINE.jpg

Yes, Ms. Green's injury is a big blow, but this team has depth, so it's next young lady up. In the short term we will take some lumps integrating Saunders, Puckett, and Striplin in the lineup in a new way. Long term, it's about getting these ladies ready for SEC and tournament play, particularly Ms. Striplin. Her biggest challenge outside of herself and new role in the team will be Ms. Boston at SC. She doesn't have to shut her down, but affect her enough to give us a chance. Personally, I believe these ladies, particularly Ms. Striplin, are going to contribute heavily and surprise some folks along the way.

She does

Karoline didn't get her true competition in HS, indeed,,,but her AAU team has played against much bigger and much better competition than her HS...ANd I saw her on two occasions in tournaments,,,not worried!
I know she has a great game post up and mid-range deadly shot. I think we'll see her accept and meet the challenge when her number is called.

We don’t have anyone on the team that cannot play. Everyone brings something to the table. It’s ultimately about matching up with opponents. I’m sure Emily and Karoline will have more good minutes than not and will present challenges to opponents. Keyen will be missed but I believe the team will shake off the loss like they have learned to do numerous times this season. If a team is quicker inside, we go with small ball and wear them out.

Hope everyone is practicing their passes into the basically new players “in the paint,” not a lob, not a bounce, not a bullet, not a no-look, not until they have more experience there, just a solid catchable above their head and shoulders pass. 😀

We’re going to have more players gaining more needed experience, that will help the team in the long run.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Last edited:
Coach, in response to a question stated the LVs could play good defense with their front-line of defense on the bench BUT it would be different. another familiar comment - each player knows her role - we are very open in our conversations.

I personally could provide numerous examples of players taking the position of injuried players, the LVs won a Championship when their only point guard broke her hand as one example.

Do you mean Lex Hornbuckle? If so, that was Candace's redshirt freshman season and they did not win the NC.

madtownvol - tonya edwards broke her hand late in 1989 and Gordon and McCray brought the ball up the floor in the final games. I attended the regional at West Ky but not the finals. for those with long memories - they soundly defeated in the regionals - Long Beach State - the star player who call the LVs _______________ ??

Tonya Edwards, Kelli Casteel, Sheila Frost, Daedra Charles, Debbie Hawhee, Carla McGhee, Regina Clark, Melissa McCray, Bridgette Gordon,

VN Store

Back