Can I Get Every Alleged Tennessee Fan...

Being a Vandy grad, I should tell you that there aren't any real Vandy fans. There are only students, who don't really care about sports but like the image of acting as silly as Duke, and old men around Nashville who didn't really go to Vandy but wear tweed jackets and once taught a night class on English as a foreign language at the Y so are now part of academia and simply hate anything to do with public education or athletic success because in 1974 that football player at Hillwood dated the cheerleader he had a crush on and then threatened to kick his ass if he didn't stop calling her and hanging up.
Ladies and gentlemen, the rarest of animals: A Vanderbilt grad who knows exactly what his alma mater is all about.

I'm not "happy" for them per se, but I think it would be good for them to make a bowl. Playing Vandy used to be a bigger deal, but over the years they just really got bad and Vandy fans left the program. The 2005 loss sucked but I think it at least shot some juice into the football rivalry that had been almost dead for a long time. The basketball rivalry has always stayed relatively heated. I hate Memorial Gym with a passion.

I've always wanted the UT/Vandy game to actually mean something, meaning both came into the game with something on the line and not just playing the spoiler. Which this year UT looks like they could be playing that role possibly.

True . . . They are more eloquent in explaining moral victories in the post game interviews.
"The heck with?" That's the edit you used? Now I know who scripts the voiceovers that obscure profanity on movies shown on TNT.

I pull for them except for when they play the Vols. I also have 2 sons that attend there. The oldest was on the team for 2 years. With that said, I still can't root against the Vols.

since Bama is not on the schedule.

You can put me on ignore because I always root for Vandy except when they play us. And yes, Vandy is on the rise with their 4-0 record. Unless Vandy chokes, they will beat Auburn because Vandy won't fumble in their own endzone. There is something to be said for recruiting intelligent players and hiring smart coaches.

You've really got history on your side with this statement. Every national champ is always a top tier school.

Being a Vandy grad, I should tell you that there aren't any real Vandy fans. There are only students, who don't really care about sports but like the image of acting as silly as Duke, and old men around Nashville who didn't really go to Vandy but wear tweed jackets and once taught a night class on English as a foreign language at the Y so are now part of academia and simply hate anything to do with public education or athletic success because in 1974 that football player at Hillwood dated the cheerleader he had a crush on and then threatened to kick his ass if he didn't stop calling her and hanging up.

That is spot on.

Grew up in Nastyville and that couldn't be more perfect.

plus for some reason they have gameday all day at nashville this weekend, whats going on!!!!:banghead2:

"The heck with?" That's the edit you used? Now I know who scripts the voiceovers that obscure profanity on movies shown on TNT.
:eek:lol:Sorry . . . it was the best I could come up with at the time.

Vandy's a flash in the pan---they haven't played anyone yet. Auburn will beat them this weekend. They might luck out and get 6 wins this year and make that weedeater bowl in Shreveport.

What I hate the most about Vandy fans is the fact that almost to a man they are defacto Bama fans. Why? because Vandy can never beat UT, they throw their hats in the ring with the 'Bammers. It's an unholy union.

What I hate the most about Vandy fans is the fact that almost to a man they are defacto Bama fans. Why? because Vandy can never beat UT, they throw their hats in the ring with the 'Bammers. It's an unholy union.
Lots of them are Texas fans if you go by the hats and shirts you see on the students. They seem to get alot of students from Texas.

Ladies and gentlemen, the rarest of animals: A Vanderbilt grad who knows exactly what his alma mater is all about.

I don't beleive it's so rare. I'm friends with several recent Vandy grads and with the exception of maybe 100 students the game is just one big social event. A win and they are happy and a loss they forget about it almost immediately because they know it's Vandy and no lead is secure. You can look around in the student section and everyone is walking around, talking, and meeting with one another. Their is no tradition and compared to UT it wouldn't be considered football. More like high school football.

Nevertheless, you have to give props to Vandy for inspiring their fans this year and bringing the much hated Corso to town. I will be their to cheer on Vandy because they aren't so bad and I also don't consider them a threat. Plus i'm probably the loudest one in the stands amongst talkative students. :p

I don't beleive it's so rare. I'm friends with several recent Vandy grads and with the exception of maybe 100 students the game is just one big social event. A win and they are happy and a loss they forget about it almost immediately because they know it's Vandy and no lead is secure. You can look around in the student section and everyone is walking around, talking, and meeting with one another. Their is no tradition and compared to UT it wouldn't be considered football. More like high school football.

Nevertheless, you have to give props to Vandy for inspiring their fans this year and bringing the much hated Corso to town. I will be their to cheer on Vandy because they aren't so bad and I also don't consider them a threat. Plus i'm probably the loudest one in the stands amongst talkative students. :p
Like I have said before I support Vandy when they don't play us,so kudos to you for supporting our little brother here in Tennessee.:salute:

I like Vandy football and don't mind their success since it makes the SEC look better, but I DESPISE their basketball coach. No way would I ever cheer for him.

Screw vandy. I could care less about them. As far as I am concerned, it is Bama, UF, UGA, Vandy in that order of hate. They are a rival and I will never root or pull for them to do well in the sec or otherwise.

Screw vandy. I could care less about them. As far as I am concerned, it is Bama, UF, UGA, Vandy in that order of hate. They are a rival and I will never root or pull for them to do well in the sec or otherwise.

We see eye to eye on many things, but on this one....

We couldn't get any closer. Agree 1,000%.

I like Vandy football and don't mind their success since it makes the SEC look better, but I DESPISE their basketball coach. No way would I ever cheer for him.

You know that he was a hair's breadth from being UT's basketball coach, right? He might have actually been it for a second.

Agreed.

The only thing I ever liked about fast starts from Vandy is that it gave them some bowl aspirations for us to crush in November when we cemented their losing record.

VN Store

Back