Can Dee Beckwith get on the field?

Why wouldn’t you just use Hooker in the wildcat as he’s a very capable runner and the D has to still be prepared for all passing options?

Who's been a stud that was the 4th or 5th string RB at this point in their careers? You said there's been plenty so it should be easy for you to name a couple
The guy at Alabama this year. Alvin Kamara is also an example. Not necessarily 4th or 5th string but individuals who had not made an impact during or soon after their freshman campaigns. Beckwith has the physical talent and probably just needs some maturity. I m rooting for him. You cannot write him off as a bust yet.

Reactions: a vol n tears
The guy at Alabama this year. Alvin Kamara is also an example.
Alvin Kamara had disciplinary issues at Alabama. I think it might be that he was a QB in high school and just hasn't had the time to develop RB skills yet. The guy at Alabama has been behind other studs until now. That's not the case here

UT beats Pitt if we simply hand it off to Dee Beckwith on that 4th down inside the 5 yard line. Instead we do a slow developing read option with a 200 lb RB and it gets stuffed.

By and large, you have to like what Huepel has done with this team. They play with great effort and strain. They bring it- constant energy and pressure. They have sustained intensity. Heupel is willing to sacrifice talent in place of overall team giving the right amount of effort IN HIS MIND.

If I were to guess..Dee Beckwith isn't practicing with the same amount of effort. I didn't say he was lazy. I'm saying he's not playing with the level the coaches require.
That's the only thing it could be...and the coaches have a zero tolerance for it.
-Not always a good thing.
The kid has been running the football all through high school. Great over all natural athlete. He's not some novice to running the football. His pad level is fine. He showed it last year and this spring. All of a sudden he just can't play RB??? No...

The fact that Milton was still in the conversation as starting QB up until this week...is a spotlight on coaching stubborn behavior. Heupel was WRONG about Milton. As was I.
But it shouldn't have taken 3 games AFTER Pitt to admit that... Coaching stubborness

Jalin Hyatt drops one ball in the end zone and gets injured. Hasn't been seen since. He's the only WR Milton couldnt out throw. Yet only one targeted deep ball in 3 games since???? Has Hyatt all of sudden forgotten how to play WR? No...

Payton and Jones are shining.
T Evans is shining. because they are getting fed reps and they are good players.
It starts in practice. And coaches absolutely OVER value practice sometimes . We should all be intimately aware of this from the past 4 years...

Heupel for all his numbers offensively, is not all that creative haha. It's about sustained effort and outworking the opponent with him. Yet, when he went against Mullen, you saw the difference in coaching.
We absolutely out worked them and still lost by 24 points...
Mullen himself said that was a different UT team. Effort and heart. yet...he still beat them.

On the field our coaching X's and O's has failed the team in critical moments. We should be 4-1 with a real chance to be 5-0 had we been more aggressive and creative offensively in the 2nd QTR against Florida. When Richardson takes the reigns for them, finally...you can forget it.

I do believe Heupel can get Tennessee to 9-3 or 10-2 type seasons with time, because the East is so bad. But right now, he hasn't shown the awareness or coaching touch of the more elite names. He's just a hardworking, positive dude. He's a Butch Jones with an actual personality. But he does seemed to have assembled a pretty decent staff...

Last edited:
I’ve been wanting to see some wildcat formations. I’d like to see if Dee could be used 1 or 2 times in a wildcat formation, and the throw the ball to him in the middle or the outside. If not use him for that, let him just run a couple of times, and see where he stands, either catching or running. I think the guy needs some confidence of something?
As with Dobbs, I don’t see the benefit of taking out a running threat who can actually throw the ball.

UT beats Pitt if we simply hand it off to Dee Beckwith on that 4th down inside the 5 yard line. Instead we do a slow developing read option with a 200 lb RB and it gets stuffed.

By and large, you have to like what Huepel has done with this team. They play with great effort and strain. They bring it- constant energy and pressure. They have sustained intensity. Heupel is willing to sacrifice talent in place of overall team giving the right amount of effort IN HIS MIND.

If I were to guess..Dee Beckwith isn't practicing with the same amount of effort. I didn't say he was lazy. I'm saying he's not playing with the level the coaches require.
That's the only thing it could be...and the coaches have a zero tolerance for it.
-Not always a good thing.
The kid has been running the football all through high school. Great over all natural athlete. He's not some novice to running the football. His pad level is fine. He showed it last year and this spring. All of a sudden he just can't play RB??? No...

The fact that Milton was still in the conversation as starting QB up until this week...is a spotlight on coaching stubborn behavior. Heupel was WRONG about Milton. As was I.
But it shouldn't have taken 3 games AFTER Pitt to admit that... Coaching stubborness

Jalin Hyatt drops one ball in the end zone and gets injured. Hasn't been seen since. He's the only WR Milton couldnt out throw. Yet only one targeted deep ball in 3 games since???? Has Hyatt all of sudden forgotten how to play WR? No...

Payton and Jones are shining.
T Evans is shining. because they are getting fed reps and they are good players.
It starts in practice. And coaches absolutely OVER value practice sometimes . We should all be intimately aware of this from the past 4 years...

Heupel for all his numbers offensively, is not all that creative haha. It's about sustained effort and outworking the opponent with him. Yet, when he went against Mullen, you saw the difference in coaching.
We absolutely out worked them and still lost by 24 points...
Mullen himself said that was a different UT team. Effort and heart. yet...he still beat them.

On the field our coaching X's and O's has failed the team in critical moments. We should be 4-1 with a real chance to be 5-0 had we been more aggressive and creative offensively in the 2nd QTR against Florida. When Richardson takes the reigns for them, finally...you can forget it.

I do believe Heupel can get Tennessee to 9-3 or 10-2 type seasons with time, because the East is so bad. But right now, he hasn't shown the awareness or coaching touch of the more elite names. He's just a hardworking, positive dude. He's a Butch Jones with an actual personality. But he does seemed to have assembled a pretty decent staff...
Bunk

So he's just not talented at RB?

Hyatt is no longer a good WR?
Bailey can't run this offense??

I can go on and on, about Heupel. Beckwith isn't the only one being held back by Heupel's philosophies.

So he's just not talented at RB?

Hyatt is no longer a good WR?
Bailey can't run this offense??

I can go on and on, about Heupel. Beckwith isn't the only one being held back by Heupel's philosophies.

We are 10th in the nation in scoring at 41 ppg. I'll take being "held back" by Heupel.

Dang. The guy is just 5 games into his soph season. He is playing a position he didn’t play in HS and there are some pretty good RBs in front of him. Odds are he either changes positions like Banks, or he gets recruited over. He is pretty tall for a RB. Easy to redshirt this year and see who is signed in this next recruiting class.

Travis Stephens played quite a bit his freshman year.

Plus he was behind Lewis and Henry. We have no one on the roster as good as Lewis or Henry

Didn’t say we had the talent of Lewis or Henry, nor did I say Dee was a stud right now. I was just saying we have had players that were not stars until late in their careers. Stephens redshirted his soph season and wasn’t a stud until his SR season. I personally hope CJH can begin recruiting backs like Lewis again and Beckwith changes positions.

As with Dobbs, I don’t see the benefit of taking out a running threat who can actually throw the ball.
No, but you have to let him try. South Carolina would be a perfect time to run a play with him. If he gets a good run, or catches the ball, then that gives him some confidence, along with the coaches.

Didn’t say we had the talent of Lewis or Henry, nor did I say Dee was a stud right now. I was just saying we have had players that were not stars until late in their careers. Stephens redshirted his soph season and wasn’t a stud until his SR season. I personally hope CJH can begin recruiting backs like Lewis again and Beckwith changes positions.
And Beckwith may develop.

That 2001 team was freaking loaded. We were much better at every position with the exception of running Back. Stephens had a great senior season as any back we have now would have with that kind of team around them.

No, but you have to let him try. South Carolina would be a perfect time to run a play with him. If he gets a good run, or catches the ball, then that gives him some confidence, along with the coaches.
Why? If he provides an element you don’t currently have available, I’d get it. Jauan Jennings was a switch up that was effective. But Hooker is a threat with both his legs and arm. Put Beckwith in and the defense knows it’s a run all the way. And I don’t agree that SC is a “perfect” time to experiment. It’s a LOSABLE game if they get some breaks…why give it to them?

Reactions: Old-n-4getful-Vol
Dee has been incredible on the field. The coaches are just saving him to "unleash" him on Bama and GA.

Reactions: white65

VN Store

Back