Can Ben Martin beat out Xavier Mitchell or Antonio Reynolds as the starting DE?

Martin is a little bit taller than Freeny so that helps because if you make a lot of penetration sometimes you can stretch out and make the tackles once the guy hits the whole. I think you are right though because our run defense is what worries me.

I agree. Knocking down passes and blocking the QB field of view helps. Martin is so quick I really think he will be able to chase down QB's and RB's like no one UT has ever seen. 4.5 speed is phenomenal for a DE.

I've heard Rico is a little undersized, but so was Al Wilson.

Idn... by the time Wilson switched over to middle from strong side LB he was pretty darn big. Especially by the time he was a senior. I think they'll bulk McCoy up during the offseason though.

I dont think he has to gain 20 lbs to start though it would be nice. He does have 7 months to the opener. IMO if he runs a legit 4.5 40 nobody on the DL is close to being that quick. He deserves a look as a starting DE.

After finishing 72nd last season in run defense there is a lot of room for improvement. Starting the same guys who started last Iisn't necessarily going to bring a big improvement.

Are you kidding? You didnt like what you saw out of Xavier Mitchell at the end of the year? Xavier Mitchell showed that he is starting to tap into his potential and hehas a lot of it. He should improve before next season. And, to say that Ayers doesnt have room to improve is crazy too. There is no certainty that he will reach his potential. But if he improves he could be All-SEC.

Are you kidding? You didnt like what you saw out of Xavier Mitchell at the end of the year? Xavier Mitchell showed that he is starting to tap into his potential and hehas a lot of it. He should improve before next season. And, to say that Ayers doesnt have room to improve is crazy too. There is no certainty that he will reach his potential. But if he improves he could be All-SEC.

Agreed, also, without Xavier Mitchell we lose to Air Force.

72nd in rushing defense last season and you want to talk about how great they played? Are you kidding? Rushing defense was the worst performing unit on the field last season.

72nd in rushing defense last season and you want to talk about how great they played? Are you kidding?

I think alot of our rushing defenses problems had to do more with our DT's....while the DE's should get some of the blame more teams ran right up the middle on us, (i.e. Tony Hunt) than ran to the outside...

72nd in rushing defense last season and you want to talk about how great they played? Are you kidding?

Rushing defense has a lot more to do with the DT's than it does with the DE's. Bottom line is that last year, we didn't have run-stopping DT's. McBride was a nice tweener, but he was too weak for DT, and McGlothlin was just bad.

How great the "played"? We used the words improve and potential in discuss next season. Or did I miss somthing? We are talking about next sesaon. And, yes Xavier Mitchell played well. Or do you think just because our DL as a whole played poorly that means no DL could have been good? Our rush defense sucked because McG started. Mapu was coming back from 2 year mission and played like it. Reynolds did not play well. Xavier Mitchell on the other hand play very well at times. He just needs to get more consistent, which is hopefully the area we are talking about him "improving" in as he matures going into next season.

Rushing defense has a lot more to do with the DT's than it does with the DE's. Bottom line is that last year, we didn't have run-stopping DT's. McBride was a nice tweener, but he was too weak for DT, and McGlothlin was just bad.

Must have been posting at the same time...:)

Okla, did you watch the games? Anytime Tennessee was gashed for rush yards, it was almost ALWAYS up the gut, between the tackles. McG stunk, McBride was strong, but seemed easily moved off the line. Rarely did we get gashed on the edges.

How great the "played"? We used the words improve and potential in discuss next season. Or did I miss somthing? We are talking about next sesaon. And, yes Xavier Mitchell played well. Or do you think just because our DL as a whole played poorly that means no DL could have been good? Our rush defense sucked because McG started. Mapu was coming back from 2 year mission and played like it. Reynolds did not play well. Xavier Mitchell on the other hand play very well at times. He just needs to get more consistent, which is hopefully the area we are talking about him "improving" in as he matures going into next season.

I don't remember Mitchell being named All-SEC last season. Whats your defintion of playing well?

Sporting News did name McBride as a top DT though he didn't make their All-SEC team. How do you explain that? I guess everyone else isn't as knowledgeable as you are.

Scout.com: 2006 CFN All-SEC Team & Top 30 Players

Neither one of these guys have shown enough that they shouldn't have to compete for the starting job like everyone else on the team does.

Okla, did you watch the games? Anytime Tennessee was gashed for rush yards, it was almost ALWAYS up the gut, between the tackles. McG stunk, McBride was strong, but seemed easily moved off the line. Rarely did we get gashed on the edges.

No I didn't watch the games. I'm just making stuff up.

I think alot of our rushing defenses problems had to do more with our DT's....while the DE's should get some of the blame more teams ran right up the middle on us, (i.e. Tony Hunt) than ran to the outside...

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I think the DL last season played poorly. It was the worst performing group on the team last season. Its not often UT recruits the 2th best DE in the nation. I'd like to see the guy get an opportunity to play immediately and compete for the starting position.

Everyone has seen with Coker and other athletes, that Fulmer has tendency to want to redshirt top freshmen and not play them immediately. I hope he doesn't do that here. The DL needs a lot of help, I don't necessarily agree that playing the same guys from season is going to result in a huge improvement. Some players only have gradual improvement from year to year. I don't see any arguement why this guy doesnt deserve an opportunity to play immediately and start.

No one off UT dline last season got any recognition from any publication I saw for good play outside of McBride by the sporting news.

I think the DL last season played poorly. It was the worst performing group on the team last season. Its not often UT recruits the 2th best DE in the nation. I'd like to see the guy get an opportunity to play immediately and compete for the starting position.

Everyone has seen with Coker and other athletes, that Fulmer has tendency to want to redshirt top freshmen and not play them immediately. I hope he doesn't do that here. The DL needs a lot of help, I don't necessarily agree that playing the same guys from season is going to result in a huge improvement. Some players only have gradual improvement from year to year. I don't see any arguement why this guy doesnt deserve an opportunity to play immediately and start.

No one off UT dline last season got any recognition from any publication I saw for good play outside of McBride by the sporting news.

Completely agree...but I think it was more our DT's didn't blow up the middle of the line and let or DE's rush the passer or pursue runners like they are supposed too..

So would I but at 230 he would get thrown around by left and right tackles all year...

VN Store

Back