Can Ben Martin beat out Xavier Mitchell or Antonio Reynolds as the starting DE?

Fine then oklavol, we agree to disagree. I say Xavier Mitchell and Robert Ayers have potential. Potential which Xavier Mitchell has shown in games and Robert Ayers has shown in practice. And, you disagree that they have potential. Simple agree to disagree situation. No biggie.

I don't remember Mitchell being named All-SEC last season. Whats your defintion of playing well?

Sporting News did name McBride as a top DT though he didn't make their All-SEC team. How do you explain that? I guess everyone else isn't as knowledgeable as you are.

Scout.com: 2006 CFN All-SEC Team & Top 30 Players

Neither one of these guys have shown enough that they shouldn't have to compete for the starting job like everyone else on the team does.

Sporting News also said that Notre Dame would win the National Championship hands down. A few months later they said that there was no way that Ohio State couldn't win it. Then of course, there was no way Florida could win it. They have some boneheads on their staff, which is why Sporting News will always be second fiddle to Sports Illustrated. Anyway, if McBride was one of the top DTs in the nation last year, then Brent Schafer was one of the top QBs.

Agreed, also, without Xavier Mitchell we lose to Air Force.

He played well in that game and made the tackle that kept Air Force from taking the lead, but I still think we would have won it without him. First off, Ryan Karl was behind him, ready to destroy that running back. I think a safety was in the vicinity, as well. Also, that Air Force defense wasn't really scaring me. I think we could have driven down the field to win the game if it had been necessary.

Sporting News also said that Notre Dame would win the National Championship hands down. A few months later they said that there was no way that Ohio State couldn't win it. Then of course, there was no way Florida could win it. They have some boneheads on their staff, which is why Sporting News will always be second fiddle to Sports Illustrated. Anyway, if McBride was one of the top DTs in the nation last year, then Brent Schafer was one of the top QBs.

That is out of the SEC only. Not the country.

That is out of the SEC only. Not the country.

There were several SEC teams that had two DTs better than McBride. Florida and Arkansas come to mind. LSU, Auburn, and Georgia might be able to say the same. McBride was a good DE. He was an average DT.

He played about 50% of the time at DE in the first 3 games, and in the remaining games, he played pretty much 100% at DT. He very rarely played at DE.

I thought he was playing only DE the first two, and splitting time at DE and DT at the last two. All I kept hearing the announcers say was that he played both positions. My bad...

Fine then oklavol, we agree to disagree. I say Xavier Mitchell and Robert Ayers have potential. Potential which Xavier Mitchell has shown in games and Robert Ayers has shown in practice. And, you disagree that they have potential. Simple agree to disagree situation. No biggie.

Ok disregard that profanity laced pm I sent you :birgits_giggle:

Martin is so quick I really think he will be able to chase down QB's and RB's like no one UT has ever seen.

Don't count on it. Have you ever heard of a guy by the name of Reggie White? However, Oklavol, I agree with you. Nobody on our defensive line from last year should get a free pass as being a starter this year. Our defensive line was atrocious, and all spots on the defensive line should be wide open going into spring practice IMO.

The DE's didn't play poorly but got no help from the DT's.

Last year I said this past season would basically come down to Ainge. It did for the most part except for the freak injury to Harrell. If either or both had stayed healthy, UT could have played OSU rather than UF... or at least ND instead of LSU.

I'm going to refine a prediction that I made earlier about this year depending on the DT's and WR's. I think it comes down to Bolden and take your pick of O'Neal/Jones/Vinson.

I think Mapu will be a stud again and between several players there will be a sufficient second line of DT's maybe to include Langley who will get a head start in spring ball.

I think the existing WR group has a bunch of potential Swains or Smiths... but the incoming group needs to produce some approximation of Meachem (a game breaker).

As to Ben Martin, it would be great if he really were that good but Ayers (4* #10 ILB), Mitchell (4* #8 Str DE), and Reynolds (3* JUCO) are great talents with alot of college experience, strength, and size over Martin. If Fisher (5* #2 JUCO) makes it back, he'll be in the mix somewhere. Wes Brown was a 4* DT #18 in the nation coming out of HS.

My point is that you're getting pretty excited about a guy who isn't ranked as highly as the players you think he'll come in and replace who have alot of advantages on him.

BTW, until he puts on 20 or 30 lbs, he may not be able to tackle some of the SEC QB's like Tebow and Andre Woodson. They both outweigh him and might be as strong.

Again, I hope he really is that great... but I don't expect next year to be his coming out.

BTW, Walker may have a better shot at making an impact this year at DE than Martin.

Didn't Steve Caldwell or Chavis say that they were having to adjust the defense to accomodate for our poor DE play? I think someone posted that on here a few months ago.

Chavis said they were considering switching to a 3-4

If he does that, he might want to consider looking for a new job. We'll get destroyed. We don't have the defenders for it. The juxtaposition would make our 2006 rush D look outstanding.

If he does that, he might want to consider looking for a new job. We'll get destroyed. We don't have the defenders for it. The juxtaposition would make our 2006 rush D look outstanding.

I didn't say it was a good move, that's just what he said in an article I read after the Penn State game. Don't take it personally, but I think Chavis knows a little bit more about what kind of personel he has and what can be affective than you.

VN Store

Back