Caitlin Clark, if she breaks the scoring record, put an asterisk by her name

And Pete only got credit for 2 points on all his shots.... no 3 point line.... He should get a asterisk if when she breaks his record for 3 years and only 2 points.....
I think Caitlin is great and hope the best for her. Now the talking heads are saying that she is going to go past Pistol's record. To do that, I think you have to take every 3-pointer Caitlin made and call it a 2-pointer and reevaluate it by that metric. I understand that Pistol did it in less games but I look at it as a career and not games.

I think Caitlin is great and hope the best for her. Now the talking heads are saying that she is going to go past Pistol's record. To do that, I think you have to take every 3-pointer Caitlin made and call it a 2-pointer and reevaluate it by that metric. I understand that Pistol did it in less games but I look at it as a career and not games.

Maravich against Knecht would have been a great HORSE shootout.

To date, Caitlin has made 503 3-pointers in her college career. That gives her 503 points that Pete Maravich did not have the opportunity to score.

Pistol played in 83 games at LSU and scored 3667 points without a 3-point line. (44.2 points per game) Caitlin has played in 129 games and scored 3650 points to date. (28.3 points per game) To be fair, I would say that to compare to the Pistol, you would have to say that she has scored 3147 points in 129 games. (24.4 points per game)

Please, I am not bashing on Caitlin, I think she is great. I just believe that we have to be consistent with the metric we use.

To date, Caitlin has made 503 3-pointers in her college career. That gives her 503 points that Pete Maravich did not have the opportunity to score.

Pistol played in 83 games at LSU and scored 3667 points without a 3-point line. (44.2 points per game) Caitlin has played in 129 games and scored 3650 points to date. (28.3 points per game) To be fair, I would say that to compare to the Pistol, you would have to say that she has scored 3147 points in 129 games. (24.4 points per game)

Please, I am not bashing on Caitlin, I think she is great. I just believe that we have to be consistent with the metric we use.
That's a good measure but maybe we should look at the number of shots they took/take per game.

Pistol - 83 Games averaged 38.1 shots per game. So in 83 games he shot it approx. 3163 times to get his 3667 points (1.16 points per shot)

Caitlin - 129 Games averages 19.9 shots per game. In 129 games she has shot approx. 2567 times to get 3650 points (1.42 points per shot) Eliminate the 503 points for 3-points (1.23 points per shot)

Both are obviously incredible players, no doubt about it.

Do we put asterisks now on everything since rules on about everything has changed? Drag cars now have Turbos, Nitros, blowers etc... so I suppose all these new speed records need them also.

Do we put asterisks now on everything since rules on about everything has changed? Drag cars now have Turbos, Nitros, blowers etc... so I suppose all these new speed records need them also.
It ain’t the turbos and blowers that’s the difference it’s the electronic ignition and fuel injection that makes the biggest difference.
The same guys who sent men to the moon using slide rules tuned carburetors and built custom vacuum advanced…..apologies old age kicked in didn’t mean to change the subject

That's a good measure but maybe we should look at the number of shots they took/take per game.

Pistol - 83 Games averaged 38.1 shots per game. So in 83 games he shot it approx. 3163 times to get his 3667 points (1.16 points per shot)

Caitlin - 129 Games averages 19.9 shots per game. In 129 games she has shot approx. 2567 times to get 3650 points (1.42 points per shot) Eliminate the 503 points for 3-points (1.23 points per shot)

I'm just stunned that folks are making this comparison. Ridiculous.

Reactions: CBVols and hog88

Great post, I hadn’t thought about this

I think if she breaks the record an asterisk should be applied next to the record. This is the way that "she's getting what she deserves" for flopping and acting injured during the court storming at Ohio State.

The only thing Swoopes has on Clark is Size. Talent? Not close, IMO. I deal in real, and tell it like I see it. I offend. I don't care.
Not to mention the women’s game is much more competitive than it was in Swoopes’ era. Much more parity and better athletes. I still can’t make it through an entire Lady Vols game though. Not because it’s women’s basketball but because it’s painful to watch them.

VN Store

Back