Caitlin Clark, if she breaks the scoring record, put an asterisk by her name

Is it really that common though? It seems Iike it's almost always congratulations and words of encouragement from the previous record holder and previous record holder's generation.

Maybe the circumstances were different, but seem to recall Jordan being critical of Kobe and Kareem being critical of LeBron, for example

Reactions: EasternVol
Maybe the circumstances were different, but seem to recall Jordan being critical of Kobe and Kareem being critical of LeBron, for example
Seems like the record holders themselves are usually gracious but their fans and friends are the harshest about the new players.

Your specific examples sound right though - Jordan is supremely competitive and Kareem is very opinionated. Not disrespecting either one, but I can see them pushing back against the new guy.

Reactions: Volprofch05
Seems like the record holders themselves are usually gracious but their fans and friends are the harshest about the new players.

Your specific examples sound right though - Jordan is supremely competitive and Kareem is very opinionated. Not disrespecting either one, but I can see them pushing back against the new guy.

Yep, and in this case Swoopes, the one being critical (not to mention misinformed) was not the prior record holder. I think some of it is the prior players being a bit bitter that there was less fanfare back in the day.

Reactions: VAVol85
I read yesterday that Plum said she was happy Clark broke her record. I'm not sure I ever saw Plum play--maybe once
or twice...but don't recall anything about her. But she could obviously shoot!

Reactions: Volprofch05
No evidence.... What exactly would you call it? Racism is at an all time high, whether or not we want to admit it . What Sheryl did is a low class hit job intended to detract from Clark's accomplishment. Why people have such a tough time dealing with the truth these days is a mystery.
I don't know what I would call it, which is why I'm asking the question as to why Swoopes seems to intent on minimizing the accomplishment. I don't know if you saw the clip, but Jason Williams did a similar thing on Gameday yesterday, saying that she wasn't a great player (yet) because she hasn't won a national title (which is a dumb thing to say IMO because that is a team accomplishment, but that's another debate entirely). He then goes on to cite 2 players with a bunch of titles (Diana Taurasi and Breanna Stewart), who are also white, to make his point. If it's a racial thing, then why bring up 2 other white players who you think were better than her?

All I'm saying is that she definitely has haters who are really graping at straws to minimize what she's done, but it isn't exactly obvious to me why. Could it be something personal between her and members of the media (maybe she's not a good interview, doesn't like media, isn't very marketable outside of her basketball ability, etc.)? I don't know.

I don't know what I would call it, which is why I'm asking the question as to why Swoopes seems to intent on minimizing the accomplishment. I don't know if you saw the clip, but Jason Williams did a similar thing on Gameday yesterday, saying that she wasn't a great player (yet) because she hasn't won a national title (which is a dumb thing to say IMO because that is a team accomplishment, but that's another debate entirely). He then goes on to cite 2 players with a bunch of titles (Diana Taurasi and Breanna Stewart), who are also white, to make his point. If it's a racial thing, then why bring up 2 other white players who you think were better than her?
I saw that. He sounded phenomenally ignorant and perhaps motivated by things other than basketball. His comments were the exact opposite of Jay Bilas' comment which was basically that she is a cultural phenomenon unlike anything we’ve seen in basketball and aren't likely to see again. He went on to say that "great" isn't even a discussion, but we could argue about "greatest."

All I'm saying is that she definitely has haters who are really graping at straws to minimize what she's done, but it isn't exactly obvious to me why. Could it be something personal between her and members of the media (maybe she's not a good interview, doesn't like media, isn't very marketable outside of her basketball ability, etc.)? I don't know.

Jason just needs to stop talking. It’s one hot take after another to get people talking. If it weren’t for Shane Battier and Mike Dunleavy saving his ass in the National Title game I guess he wouldn’t be great either .

I saw that. He sounded phenomenally ignorant and perhaps motivated by things other than basketball. His comments were the exact opposite of Jay Bilas' comment which was basically that she is a cultural phenomenon unlike anything we’ve seen in basketball and aren't likely to see again. He went on to say that "great" isn't even a discussion, but we could argue about "greatest."
Yeah - I wonder if interpersonally she just isn’t a good interview or something. It feels like something personal between her and the media, rather than a critique of her playing ability.

“How do I diminish this white girl’s accomplishment without looking like I’m being racist? Oh yeah I’ll bring up other great white girl basketball players of the past that are entrenched as elites.”

Yep. This was shameful of him and should be fairly easy for anyone with an IQ above single digits to see through. If this was a black woman breaking these records even on a team that didn’t win championships she would be the greatest ever according to some of these media personalities.

Reactions: LibertyVol
“How do I diminish this white girl’s accomplishment without looking like I’m being racist? Oh yeah I’ll bring up other great white girl basketball players of the past that are entrenched as elites.”

Yep. This was shameful of him and should be fairly easy for anyone with an IQ above single digits to see through. If this was a black woman breaking these records even on a team that didn’t win championships she would be the greatest ever according to some of these media personalities.
I haven’t seen the media come after good white players like this though. Ever. Clark is hardly the first good white women’s player. UConn’s had a ton of them over the years and none dealt with this desire to minimize what they did. Sabrina Ionescu didn’t either. This is a really curious thing.

Has a Racist flavor to me. And that would be very sad. But there is really no other logical explanation.
Anytime a white player becomes outstanding, you’ll see the racism come out in some. They don’t like it. Maravich dealt with it, Bird did, Clark is.

Reactions: VOLnMiami
Pete Maravich still holds the college scoring record (for another game or 2) and he did it in 3 years. Freshman couldn’t play varsity back then.

A record is a record. IMO you can’t start saying stuff like, “They play more games now in a season” or ”They play more years now” etc..
And Pete only got credit for 2 points on all his shots.... no 3 point line.... He should get a asterisk if when she breaks his record for 3 years and only 2 points.....

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Honestly there is no reason to go pro until she has exhausted all eligibility. The college game for women’s basketball is more popular than the WNBA.
The top salary in the WNBA last year was $242K, Olivia Dunn the LSU Gymnast has one endorsement for $500K. Even if Caitlin wants to leave Iowa, she should stay in the college game, UT NIL would probably start at $1M.

Reactions: VolPack22
I haven’t seen the media come after good white players like this though. Ever. Clark is hardly the first good white women’s player. UConn’s had a ton of them over the years and none dealt with this desire to minimize what they did. Sabrina Ionescu didn’t either. This is a really curious thing.
And per Jason Whitlock, being white and straight will make her a significant minority with the WNBA crowd.

She still has some season left to expand that record, I hate all the negativity she has to deal with, She doesn't deserve it...She's a great ball player and an even better person...I wish her well!

Reactions: LibertyVol
I respect her as a great player but don’t care about some of her on court antics. The most glaring for me is about 3 weeks ago when she made a difficult 3 point shot to win the game. Did she immediately join her teammates who were celebrating? No. She ran to the sideline and held her arms apart like it is all about her and cheer for me.
She also whines a lot to the referees even though she gets by with a lot of shoves. I know nothing about her off the court. She may be a very nice person off court.

VN Store

Back