Cade Mays Projected First Rounder

I know this whole site is full of homers, but think of it this way. Would you pay $4 million for anything if you thought for a second that it wouldn't last longer than 1-3 years? That's exactly what happened.

They do know he no longer plays for UGA right. We took Trey Smith from being the #1 player in the country and projected to 1st round and all of sudden he is drafted 6th round instead. Maybe this staff can actually coach.
Trey was still good. He only allowed 1 sack last year. I think teams were worried about his clots and that was why he fell that low. Something tells me, he'll represent Tennessee well in leaguešŸ˜‰

Reactions: Devo182
They do know he no longer plays for UGA right. We took Trey Smith from being the #1 player in the country and projected to 1st round and all of sudden he is drafted 6th round instead. Maybe this staff can actually coach.
Isaiah Wilson was a first rounder...was.

I must confess, I was absolutely blown away he went that late in the draft. If he stays healthy, KC got the steal of the draft. I understand that he has the health issues, but if he can play 2 full seasons of SEC ball I think he will be fine in the pros.

The only reason was because of his health concerns

Reactions: GoodlettsvilleVol
I read somewhere that Trey was the first UT lineman drafted since 2014. If that's true, then that would be a good indication of why we have sucked these past few years.
Botch, Skoal can, and Doolander say hold my $13 Coors Light.

Slingblade's take: "Uhhhh....Cade often didn't dun real gud the past cupl-a-years, but looking fah-wahd, and I dunno how much you know 'bout fuh-ball, but changing out his coach from Will My Best Friend will make him dun real gud much more often I fig-ur, looking fah-wahd."

Good golly, I am so glad that moron is gone.
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Mays hasn't played like a 1st rounder at Tennessee yet. Hard to get excited until I see something.

Trey smith showed me much, much more and he went in the 6th round. We don't seem to get much out of our OL. No coaching up at all.

The blocking schemes were trash for sure, but I think it had more to do with medical's for Trey than ability. I hope he has a good long career.

I agree. I truly felt he would be taken in the late third or early fourth round. However the blocking schemes certainly raise his stock. I am thankful that not only he got drafted, but that he is with a solid team. I hope the issues that interrupted his college career do not come back, and he shocks the world at KC.

Reactions: MadWorld
They have no clue what theyā€™re talking about. Heā€™s a guard which is already against him, and he didnā€™t play great last year. Not saying itā€™s impossible, but itā€™s unlikely

a guard? maybe Rick Barnes could use him! :D

That was because of blood clots. Not coaching.

It was both. There was a lot of critiques about his fundamentals and how they deteriorated the longer he stayed. Ive never seen a 4 year SEC starter have "needs to be coached up" in any NFL draft analysis. If we didn't see the same issues with Kennedy, Mays, Wright, and Morris regressing, I might agree with you. But when EVERY draft analyst confirms what we've seen with our own eyes with Friend's coaching....

Yes, the blood clots was the primary driver in the fall but not the only reason. Trey doesn't fall as far as he did if he is a plug and play.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I think "poorly" is an overstatement. His reputation was stronger than his game in 2020 but he showed late Day 2 tape in 2020. His biggest issues for the draft fall were the clots and the time needed to fix the technical, fundamental aspects of his game that had slipped since 2017 due to the coaching situation.
His recent draft status posted here on VN from more than one source stated his numerous flaws according to their opinions. None of them referenced his health issues from what I recall even though Iā€™m sure that is a factor. ā€œPoorly ā€ is subjective. Maybe I should have stated ā€œnot impressiveā€ or ā€œsubparā€. Iā€™m not a draft expert , just paraphrasing some of what I read. I agree that poor coaching and the Qb issues hurt all the linemanā€™s play and morale.

Last edited:
Trey was still good. He only allowed 1 sack last year. I think teams were worried about his clots and that was why he fell that low. Something tells me, he'll represent Tennessee well in leaguešŸ˜‰
Trey had a terrible year in 2020 against the top notch schools. He was just bullied many times.

Slingblade's take: "Uhhhh....Cade often didn't dun real gud the past cupl-a-years, but looking fah-wahd, and I dunno how much you know 'bout fuh-ball, but changing out his coach from Will My Best Friend will make him dun real gud much more often I fig-ur, looking fah-wahd."

Good golly, I am so glad that moron is gone.
That really would have been tough to read if we hadn't three years of preparation. :rolleyes:

Reactions: VolInNW
He aint no tackle. Stay and work on perfecting as a guard. His footwork is easily guard and not tackle.

They have no clue what theyā€™re talking about. Heā€™s a guard which is already against him, and he didnā€™t play great last year. Not saying itā€™s impossible, but itā€™s unlikely

He is a really good guard and his versatility should ensure him a fairly long career but his best position is guard and they don't usually go in the first round. Heck, he played emergency center at UGA and looked like a natural there.

Reactions: VAVol85
That would be huge for the program for Mays to go first round. Let's win a division title first!

Well...about 6 other services all have him as a 1st rounder. Haven't seen him lower than that so far.

VN Store

Back