‘23 CA QB Nicholaus Iamaleava (Tennessee)

I honestly don’t care if you played college football or not what im saying is valid and you still had no response to the fact that life changing injuries happen in sports mainly football and just getting a full ride isn’t enough for those people
If money was set aside just for those kids and no one else, would you be okay with that? Or are you using the 0.0001% to make an argument for the 99.9999%?

Just curious, where did you play?

I mean, I have always seen it as college FB players get huge perks. Just at UT, players get access to free nutritionalists who design personalized meal plans for them, and who give them recovery drinks, etc. They get special food at the Anderson complex. They have a personal barber who does their hair. They have a state of the art training facility, and will have a state of the art recovery facility very soon. They'll have energy pods and cryotherapy and a pool. They get free airfare and free hotels and food when they travel to away games. They get free tickets to games for their families. They have a lounge with video games, other luxuries and activities. They get special academic tutoring and help if they need it. They get training in how to speak to the public and conduct interviews. They get to partake in special activities and get gifts if they make it to a bowl game. They have special housing where only they and other athletes live. I'm sure there is more than that, but those are things I'm pretty sure they get.

I mean...yes, they do have a ton of responsibility and they do work extremely hard, and they do deserve additional compensation if the market is there for it. But it's not like the "regular person" gets all of those things at UT. There are many perks to being a football player. And oh yes, they get their entire degree paid for. Something which many of us didn't have and are still paying for.

I'm for NIL, but I get your point. It cant all be about NIL. You have to at your core have an underlying commitment to team and team goals, rather than just your own interests. I don't want the only reason we have a football team to be because we were the highest bidder. I want it to be because we were the absolute best option, and we just also happened to have a solid NIL package we could offer once they become a part of our program.
My father played in the SEC. My 2 younger brothers played division 1 football as well as 2 of my cousins. Most would think I'm crazy, but I passed on D-1 offers to pursue the educational benefits. I went to Sewanee because it was the school that appealed to me most as a student. To me, the unique college experience as a student at Sewanee was more important than the potential experience as a college football player at a division 1 university. But for complete transparency, I never had aspirations to play football professionally. Football was a way to get the type of education that my parents would never have been able to afford.

Which is IMO why none of us should begrudge these kids from trying to secure as much money for themselves and their families as possible via NIL...
I don't begrudge the kids. A large percentage of college football and basketball players come from very dire financial situations, and unfortunately many go back to those same situations. The question is whether giving a lot of these kids huge payouts to come play at a particular university is ultimately more harmful or beneficial overall.

If money was set aside just for those kids and no one else, would you be okay with that? Or are you using the 0.0001% to make an argument for the 99.9999%?
No my whole argument was based on the fact that it’s a good thing 18 year olds are legally allowed to make money from their own name even though they are a student athlete

I don't begrudge the kids. A large percentage of college football and basketball players come from very dire financial situations, and unfortunately many go back to those same situations. The question is whether giving a lot of these kids huge payouts to come play at a particular university is ultimately more harmful or beneficial overall.
Was it harmful when auburn boosters payed a large lump sum to get Cam Newton? Was it harmful when Bama boosters gave multiple cars and money away to get 5 star recruits?

Reactions: TheMagnificantOne
No my whole argument was based on the fact that it’s a good thing 18 year olds are legally allowed to make money from their own name even though they are a student athlete

I'm perfectly fine with them being able to do so, but to act like there isn't a well-established pattern of failure associated with young people receiving large amounts of money is simply being willfully ignorant.

Reactions: SugarCC
Don’t think our good ol boys never paid players.There was a show back in the day on HBO about agents.One agent said he offered Carl Pickens some cash and he said “I don’t need your money “ and proceeded to show him a shoebox full of cash.

Don’t think our good ol boys never paid players.There was a show back in the day on HBO about agents.One agent said he offered Carl Pickens some cash and he said “I don’t need your money “ and proceeded to show him a shoebox full of cash.
Arliss
1652379576946.jpeg

"I'd like to enter into evidence the 1000 posts made by people who have no idea how it works and yet they will talk about it endlessly your honor."
Think what you want. You have not a clue who I am, or what ive been involved in.

Nico wouldn't be a Vol if not for NIL.

So I'll be happy and excited for that...

Spyre is not considered a “collective” it is an actual business organization. They will not suffer any repercussions from the NCAA.

The NCAA is trying to stop what Texas A&M Boosters did, which was form a collective and gather money and then basically just hand that money to recruits without any intent on utilizing actual NIL Deals. Texas A&M is already under investigation for this.

As far as Nico’s deal goes if the NCAA tried to touch that, they would get sued to high heaven.

Honestly. With as much money as in play there I can't believe it was handled so amateurish legally speaking.

Honestly. With as much money as in play there I can't believe it was handled so amateurish legally speaking.
I’m semi-surprised but I’ve seen some boosters do some pretty crazy stuff. You’re talking about people that aren’t used to being told no or the rules applying to them.

Spyre is not considered a “collective” it is an actual business organization. They will not suffer any repercussions from the NCAA.

The NCAA is trying to stop what Texas A&M Boosters did, which was form a collective and gather money and then basically just hand that money to recruits without any intent on utilizing actual NIL Deals. Texas A&M is already under investigation for this.

As far as Nico’s deal goes if the NCAA tried to touch that, they would get sued to high heaven.
Correct.

Spyre is a sports marketing agency.

The Volunteer Club is a collective. Technically different entities.

Was it harmful when auburn boosters payed a large lump sum to get Cam Newton? Was it harmful when Bama boosters gave multiple cars and money away to get 5 star recruits?
You're still talking about a small fraction of football players, and a very limited sample size. Also, the money and cars you're talking about pales in comparison to the money we're talking about now. Almost on an apples to oranges scale. A Dodge Charger and $20 to $50 thousand dollars is nothing compared to being a millionaire the moment you step on campus. The Cam and Bama comparisons definitely don't compare to NFL money.

You're still talking about a small fraction of football players, and a very limited sample size. Also, the money and cars you're talking about pales in comparison to the money we're talking about now. Almost on an apples to oranges scale. A Dodge Charger and $20 to $50 thousand dollars is nothing compared to being a millionaire the moment you step on campus. The Cam and Bama comparisons definitely don't compare to NFL money.
Yeah that’s called inflation the market for a 5 star QB has been dictated by us

Can someone please show me the irrefutable proof that Nico was offered a massive NIL deal and that’s the ONLY reason why he signed with us?

Thanks.

I honestly don’t care if you played college football or not what im saying is valid and you still had no response to the fact that life changing injuries happen in sports mainly football and just getting a full ride isn’t enough for those people
It should come down to value and equity, like anything else or any other value producing position.

These players are way undercompensated when compared to even a partially free market, such as the nfl.

I can’t believe I am arguing over 18-21 year olds rights to make money while in college this is ridiculous its like people want a free market but don’t want certain people to capitalize on it lol
Always depends on WHO. Look at who we are talking about here. Lots of jealousy over young "jocks" making more than many adults. It's ridiculous.

Can someone please show me the irrefutable proof that Nico was offered a massive NIL deal and that’s the ONLY reason why he signed with us?

Thanks.
There is none, and NIL isn't the main reason he committed to us. The kid and his family genuinely loved our coaches and his potential in the program.

There is none, and NIL isn't the main reason he committed to us. The kid and his family genuinely loved our coaches and his potential in the program.

Agree completely. AP talked about how much Nico and his family lived the staff and TN when he went on vacation to Cali. I am getting sick of people saying the BS oh well the only reason we have Nico is because of NIL. Especially when said people have zero proof of it. It’s just lazy and dumb.

Think what you want. You have not a clue who I am, or what ive been involved in.

Nico wouldn't be a Vol if not for NIL.

So I'll be happy and excited for that...
I like you as a poster @LittleVol and think you bring good info but I disagree about him not being a Vol if not for NIL. Sure it helped but if there was no such thing as NIL, it’s still a good chance he would’ve been a VOL. He loved Knox, UT, Heupel & Hazle, the offense and noticed the development of Hooker among other QB’s Heupel has worked with.

VN Store

Back