‘23 CA QB Nicholaus Iamaleava (Tennessee)

Lol you’re right the life of a student athlete is grueling with all of the practice and workout sessions they have to go to not to mention having to jungle school with all of that…the old way saw them getting compensated by boosters illegally under the table now they can finally earn money from their own name, image, and likeness for all of the blood sweat and tears they put into a program…what was your argument again?
You seem to keep overlooking the fact that I played college football and have firsthand knowledge of what life is like. It's not the miserable existence that you seem to think it is.

You seem to keep overlooking the fact that I played college football and have firsthand knowledge of what life is like. It's not the miserable existence that you seem to think it is.
Just curious, where did you play?

I mean, I have always seen it as college FB players get huge perks. Just at UT, players get access to free nutritionalists who design personalized meal plans for them, and who give them recovery drinks, etc. They get special food at the Anderson complex. They have a personal barber who does their hair. They have a state of the art training facility, and will have a state of the art recovery facility very soon. They'll have energy pods and cryotherapy and a pool. They get free airfare and free hotels and food when they travel to away games. They get free tickets to games for their families. They have a lounge with video games, other luxuries and activities. They get special academic tutoring and help if they need it. They get training in how to speak to the public and conduct interviews. They get to partake in special activities and get gifts if they make it to a bowl game. They have special housing where only they and other athletes live. I'm sure there is more than that, but those are things I'm pretty sure they get.

I mean...yes, they do have a ton of responsibility and they do work extremely hard, and they do deserve additional compensation if the market is there for it. But it's not like the "regular person" gets all of those things at UT. There are many perks to being a football player. And oh yes, they get their entire degree paid for. Something which many of us didn't have and are still paying for.

I'm for NIL, but I get your point. It cant all be about NIL. You have to at your core have an underlying commitment to team and team goals, rather than just your own interests. I don't want the only reason we have a football team to be because we were the highest bidder. I want it to be because we were the absolute best option, and we just also happened to have a solid NIL package we could offer once they become a part of our program.

I honestly don’t care if you played college football or not what im saying is valid and you still had no response to the fact that life changing injuries happen in sports mainly football and just getting a full ride isn’t enough for those people

I honestly don’t care if you played college football or not what im saying is valid and you still had no response to the fact that life changing injuries happen in sports mainly football and just getting a full ride isn’t enough for those people

So will the kid get kicked out of school and not be able to finish his/her degree if they get injured? So they will get to finish their degree (which is technically the reason they are there) and be able to get a job and have a career...Never mind the fact that these kids will get put into the athlete network and will have a much easier time finding a job than the regular student grad with the help of alumni and the university...
Are most of these kids you are talking about just coming to play because they love the sport, or are they there because a athletic scholarship is the only way they would be able to afford to attend college? So unless they came on a athletic scholarship what kind of degree, job, and life would they most likely have compared to a scholly, degree, all the post-grad perks of being a athlete? Yes an injury would definitely be horrible, but they know that is the risk they are taking when they go into this and accept a scholarship and they will still most likely come out better in life on the other end compared to not accepting a scholly and not going to college and getting a degree.

Reactions: VolSteve
I find it a very boring subject to discuss.
Really?

That's crazy to me.

NIL is exactly what UT needed. Because of our lacking administration the past 15 years, we fell so far behind our "rivals".
YET...YET we still generated just as much revenue! That's CRAZY!!
NIL gives our VERY PASSIONATE fanbase the direct opportunity to literally change our programs forturne overnight!

How can anyone not be interested in that???

Have so many people become accustomed to losing that they don't see an obvious WINNING opportunity when it's right in front of them??

So will the kid get kicked out of school and not be able to finish his/her degree if they get injured? So they will get to finish their degree (which is technically the reason they are there) and be able to get a job and have a career...Never mind the fact that these kids will get put into the athlete network and will have a much easier time finding a job than the regular student grad with the help of alumni and the university...
Are most of these kids you are talking about just coming to play because they love the sport, or are they there because a athletic scholarship is the only way they would be able to afford to attend college? So unless they came on a athletic scholarship what kind of degree, job, and life would they most likely have compared to a scholly, degree, all the post-grad perks of being a athlete? Yes an injury would definitely be horrible, but they know that is the risk they are taking when they go into this and accept a scholarship and they will still most likely come out better in life on the other end compared to not accepting a scholly and not going to college and getting a degree.
I can’t believe I am arguing over 18-21 year olds rights to make money while in college this is ridiculous its like people want a free market but don’t want certain people to capitalize on it lol

Really?

That's crazy to me.

NIL is exactly what UT needed. Because of our lacking administration the past 15 years, we fell so far behind our "rivals".
NIL gives our VERY PASSIONATE fanbase the direct opportunity to literally change our programs forturne overnight!

Have so many people become accustomed to losing that they don't see an obvious WINNING opportunity when it's right in front of them??

"I'd like to enter into evidence the 1000 posts made by people who have no idea how it works and yet they will talk about it endlessly your honor."

I can’t believe I am arguing over 18-21 year olds rights to make money while in college this is ridiculous its like people want a free market but don’t want certain people to capitalize on it lol

I definitely want the kids to capitalize on it, I'm all for the NIL and love how it's evening things up and freakin Saban and bowl cut out... I also love how Saban is walking around to recruits last season bragging about his QB making 7 figures without playing a down, and now all of a sudden he wants regulations when he sees everyone else is catching up quick...
I was simply posing the other side to the argument that you had asked a poster to comment on... Even with all the NIL, let's not forget that being a D-1 athlete in the SEC in a major sport is getting a lot of perks along with a degree and major help from Alumni and the University post-grad if they are looking for a job-- I've seen it personally several times... Don't be fooled into thinking a company looking to hire an outside salesman and are looking at two resumes--- one with a former SEC LB/RB/WR/QB and the other with a regular student who didn't play in college won't lean towards the athlete automatically ...

Really?

That's crazy to me.

No I love spyre talk.

But the "How is NIL going to change college football in the longrun" conversation is very boring at this point.

Reactions: bignewt
The fact is that only a very small percentage of college football players will play professionally. The percent of career ending injuries that would prevent someone from pursuing any other career are less than 1%. This is why the student aspect is the most important part. Also, every football player is aware of the injury risks. Those risks exist long before you ever step foot on a college campus. I believe in NIL for the reason of the hours and effort necessary to be a college athlete. It doesn't leave the time and energy necessary to perform well as a student and earn additional income working a full time job. Yes, the major universities make a killing from revenue generated from football. But.....the assumption that all these football players are jeopardizing the chance at successful careers in something besides football because of the risk of injury is ridiculous.

The fact is that only a very small percentage of college football players will play professionally. The percent of career ending injuries that would prevent someone from pursuing any other career are less than 1%. This is why the student aspect is the most important part. Also, every football player is aware of the injury risks. Those risks exist long before you ever step foot on a college campus. I believe in NIL for the reason of the hours and effort necessary to be a college athlete. It doesn't leave the time and energy necessary to perform well as a student and earn additional income working a full time job. Yes, the major universities make a killing from revenue generated from football. But.....the assumption that all these football players are jeopardizing the chance at successful careers in something besides football because of the risk of injury is ridiculous.

Which is IMO why none of us should begrudge these kids from trying to secure as much money for themselves and their families as possible via NIL...

VN Store

Back