'18 CA QB JT Shrout (UT signee)

I have a Max Preps Account. It appears he got hit a ton this year. The Rancho Verde game shows he was hurried 21 times. In another loss he was sacked 5 times, and I am sure hurried many more. It looks like in the game film they roll him out a ton. I am guessing the picks are a combination of bad line play, inexperience, and bad decisions.

This really tells the tale. Good info. Basically his offense was wide open and his offensive line was terrible. Also his 1st year of game experience. I'd like to see his numbers from his last 4 games to see how he/the team adjusted.

That article praised the kids footwork and fundamentals from an NFL perspective, but people in here don't like his footwork? Can't wait to hear D4H's opinion.

He's got a slight bit of happy feet, good thing because he has a clock going off in his head for timing purpose with his receivers and the pressure coming (Manning esque). Quick release. Good mechanics. Pocket awareness. Can escape pressure. Can throw on the run and has his eyes still looking down field under duress. Sign him!

Reactions: 1 person
Kinda tells me what kind of qb's we actually had committed.

agreed, though i think they were good with martinez, something had to be up there with the Helton relationship?

i think not knowing what they future holds for QD, and for future qb recruits, and the short time we have on this initial early signing period, i have no issue with trying to get a kid like Shrout on board in this cycle.

I’m not gonna rail the kid and call him awful over his interceptions when I can’t see the full game film. First year starting varsity and he is getting hurried 21 times a game and sacked 5 another game? Good luck to most QBs in that situation. Sounds like his OL was terrible.

He wouldn’t be starting for a minimum of 1 year, most likely 2-3 so with more coaching and getting him some reps he could be a great pickup with that arm talent.

Reactions: 1 person
I’m not gonna rail the kid and call him awful over his interceptions when I can’t see the full game film. First year starting varsity and he is getting hurried 21 times a game and sacked 5 another game? Good luck to most QBs in that situation. Sounds like his OL was terrible.

He wouldn’t be starting for a minimum of 1 year, most likely 2-3 so with more coaching and getting him some reps he could be a great pickup with that arm talent.

yeah, this is where i am as well. i think there's more to the story regarding the rest of that school's offense....

That article praised the kids footwork and fundamentals from an NFL perspective, but people in here don't like his footwork? Can't wait to hear D4H's opinion.

A lot of times articles like that evaluate kids in a camp or practice setting where they don’t have to worry about getting clobbered by defenders. Live-fire situations usually bring out all a kid’s bad habits at QB.

Not sure if that’s the case with that article or not though.

I like his film. Hopefully we’ll have a better OL for him and we can coach him up. He definitely has skills

This late in the game you just hope to find someone with ability and potential to work with at thT position. Hardest position to come in late in a kid. He clearly has the tools and it's up to coaching to fix the mistakes

I will trust this coaching staffs "diamond in the rough" offer much more than the last coaching staffs. They seem to be few and far between.

Ole Butch had about 20 diamonds in the rough every year

D4H doesn't actually know anything about the technical part of the game, he just enjoys highlight videos and buzzwords.

Reactions: 2 people
may have missed it earlier in the thread, but is he set up to be an EE at Cal? or a feb signer?

Agreed! It is difficult to form an opinion until D4H provides his assessment. :)

I would like to see our Coaches go after Trevor Lawrence, kid is amazing and was a huge Manning fan. I believe with a visit from staff and Manning he would flip to us. Originally from East Tn. and a Vol commit early in high school.

Well that would be one hell of an intelligent response.

But really, he threw it 450 times and basically was the offense. And he was coached to throw the long ball. His highlights are all 20+ Yard throws. No checkdowns.

I wonder if Mouse Davis is his coach.

Look up Anthony Davis' high school record his senior year, and that's why I don't pay attention to high school stats as much.

But really, he threw it 450 times and basically was the offense. And he was coached to throw the long ball. His highlights are all 20+ Yard throws. No checkdowns.

I wonder if Mouse Davis is his coach.

Hopefully he was poorly coached. He does have skills for sure. This is a Potenial over production discussion it seems

I would like to see our Coaches go after Trevor Lawrence, kid is amazing and was a huge Manning fan. I believe with a visit from staff and Manning he would flip to us. Originally from East Tn. and a Vol commit early in high school.

Wow - I wonder if they've even considered him?

Reactions: 5 people
Watched that highlight video and noticed all the throws off his back foot. That would probably explain a bunch of the INT’s. Would love to get TL and hope they make a run at him, but that’s such a long shot at this point I think they should probably take this kid. There is definitely upside with him that you don’t see in a lot of productive QB’s who may have peaked in high school. Unless they think they have a bigger fish on the line for February, they should bring this guy in.

VN Store

Back