CA, Dependent On Solar Power, Has Rolling Blackouts In Heat Wave. Hint: The Sun Sets At Night.

There actually never was a ORBR, it was called the clinch river breeder reactor, located on TVA property on the clinch River. You may be thinking of the graphite reactor at OR.

Well now that I have confused 3 events, I will see myself out. I am an idiot.

BTW, did you hear about the snail darter who jumped Tellico Dam and made its way into the cooling of Breeder Reactor on Chickamauga Dam and caused the meltdown?

BTW, did you hear about the snail darter who jumped Tellico Dam and made its way into the cooling of Breeder Reactor on Chickamauga Dam and caused the meltdown?
Geez, bro. Don't be so hard on yourself.

We love yo even though you're an idiot.

Oh my goodness...Just realized I am turning into "Conservative LG". Wrong bout everything
You have a long way to go for that, but if you want that life, you need to start an "I'm gone..." thread to gin up the feelz, and then never leave. It'll be a slow build from that, so get to it immediately.

Nuclear is actually very inexpensive to build and operate, it's the extra hoops that must be jumped through that drive up the cost and forever delay the construction. Think about all the nuke powered naval vessels. Slap one of those with a small gas turbine up in each town and the grid could virtually disappear.

Here is a good overview and reflect basically the same things I’ve heard from local nuclear energy experts.
Nuclear energy too slow, too expensive to save climate: report

Here is a good overview and reflect basically the same things I’ve heard from local nuclear energy experts.
The greatest delays for construction of nuclear plant involves the permitting process and in the US that every one is custom. If it had to be done one could be brought online in months especially if it used a base as a unit from a naval vessel. how long did it take them to rebuild the interstate bridge In Minneapolis -Weeks- had that gone through the normal government process it would have taken years, maybe decades.
There are a lot of palms that get greased to build a nuclear power plant

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
You can trust the press or you can trust your own eyes. Explore this map and see if you can find a trend. The greenest countries are those with lots of nuclear or lots of hydro. That's because they are reliable. Wind and Solar are not. There is no such thing as grid size battery storage.
Live CO₂ emissions of electricity consumption

The nuclear capacity was built in the 60s and 70s. It is expensive to build today. But that's not the technology. The 70s technology is perfectly safe. What's changed is the bureaucracy and contractors. The technology doesn't need fixed, the government and financing does. I don't know how to fix the contractors. If American companies refuse to build stuff without cashing out change orders with an intention to never finish. Then we need to just bring over the Chinese to build it. I think what stops that is multiple builds ongoing. I guess they need an incentive to actually finish.

You can trust the press or you can trust your own eyes. Explore this map and see if you can find a trend. The greenest countries are those with lots of nuclear or lots of hydro. That's because they are reliable. Wind and Solar are not. There is no such thing as grid size battery storage.
Live CO₂ emissions of electricity consumption

The nuclear capacity was built in the 60s and 70s. It is expensive to build today. But that's not the technology. The 70s technology is perfectly safe. What's changed is the bureaucracy and contractors. The technology doesn't need fixed, the government and financing does. I don't know how to fix the contractors. If American companies refuse to build stuff without cashing out change orders with an intention to never finish. Then we need to just bring over the Chinese to build it. I think what stops that is multiple builds ongoing. I guess they need an incentive to actually finish.
The levelized cost of energy for a new nuclear plant in 2018 is $151 (112 to 189)/MWh. This compares with $43 (29 to 56)/MWh for onshore wind and $41 (36 to 46)/MWh for utility-scale solar from the same source. I mean, that’s crystal clear as far as cost.

I’m not just trusting the press, I’ve made it a point to attend seminars and town hall style discussions hosted by (one of) my alma maters where energy sector people from every facet are invited. I’ve heard multiple nuclear execs and workers transparently explain the problems with their industry, though it’s mostly just a confirmation of what most of us already know. The issues always come back to cost, safety and waste disposal. I’m not saying this isn’t solvable, but it probably isn’t practical.

I doubt that, if you can play that guitar in your avi you are smarter man than I.

The levelized cost of energy for a new nuclear plant in 2018 is $151 (112 to 189)/MWh. This compares with $43 (29 to 56)/MWh for onshore wind and $41 (36 to 46)/MWh for utility-scale solar from the same source. I mean, that’s crystal clear as far as cost.

I’m not just trusting the press, I’ve made it a point to attend seminars and town hall style discussions hosted by (one of) my alma maters where energy sector people from every facet are invited. I’ve heard multiple nuclear execs and workers transparently explain the problems with their industry, though it’s mostly just a confirmation of what most of us already know. The issues always come back to cost, safety and waste disposal. I’m not saying this isn’t solvable, but it probably isn’t practical.

One reason there is such a difference in price per MWh is US nuclear plants include the price of decommission in the MWh breakdown. Some plants out live their life expectancy. In other countries the difference in the two costs are not that much.

Good shop talk guys, really like to help or clarify anything I can about PG&E or my time in nuclear but I see we got resident subject matter experts on shift.
I’m just a Relay tech working Diablo Canyons
1R22 outage for PG&E. I’ve been in the power generation business since TVA’s Phillips Bend
Plant and I agree Cali is just so messed up.
And by the end of this week i’ll be glad to head back to Tellico Village, away from this mess and back to my girls in Tennessee.
GBO

GE has brand new BWR designed reactor that is going to compete with other forms of energy production. The anti-nuclear crowd will always resort to saying solar is the way of the future. Maybe one day but not as of now, solar panels are to inefficient as of now. Solar panel efficiency is at best 22%, there are a couple outliers that can get higher, but the price tag goes up dramatically. Like I said OHv40 maybe one day.

Last edited:
Good shop talk guys, really like to help or clarify anything I can about PG&E or my time in nuclear but I see we got resident subject matter experts on shift.
1R22 outage for PG&E. I’ve been in the power generation business since TVA’s Phillips Bend
And by the end of this week i’ll be glad to head back to Tellico Village, away from this mess and back to my girls in Tennessee.
GBO
Isn't that the last running nuke plant in cali?

Safe travels back to ETN.

Last edited:
GBO
I remember when they started working on Phipps Bend and how everyone was freaking out about a nuclear plant being built that close to where we lived. I think almost all of it has been torn down now.

Lol...leaving in droves. Needs to be a mandatory "debriefing" for anyone moving out of CA or NY....explaining to them that the liberal bullcrap policies and leaders they voted for are the EXACT reason they are leaving now. It just might deter them from bringing their politics with them and ruining their new destination. Doubtful...but it might. At least then they couldn't claim ignorance I guess...

VN Store

Back