CA, Dependent On Solar Power, Has Rolling Blackouts In Heat Wave. Hint: The Sun Sets At Night.

So basically free reign without any oversight... no thanks. Also, lot of the opposition for Yucca mountain comes locally and I don’t blame them. Why should their state be forced to store the country’s nuclear waste when their state doesn’t even produce any nuclear energy? Seems to me like an inappropriate imposition on the citizen’s rights... right?
There is simply no middle ground for you people.

Can't we have sensible nuclear projects and also work towards coming up alternative energy simultaneously?

You people are being totally unreasonable by obstructing every damn project under the sun.

GettyImages-1262725485.jpg

In California, where reliance on solar power is favored over the idea of nuclear power, many Californians suffering through an intense heat wave over the last weekend lost power because of rolling blackouts. That loss of power was at least partially derived from one single fact:

The sun sets at night.

Jon Sexton of HotAir explains:
California’s energy grid is run by an organization called California Independent System Operator or Cal ISO. Cal ISO’s job is to turn various supplies of energy on or off and, if necessary, seek out energy from out of state to meet the demand for electricity in the state. On Friday and again Saturday Cal ISO simply couldn’t find enough supply to meet the demand so it called for a stage 3 emergency and ordered energy companies to simply turn off power to some customers to prevent the grid from flickering on and off for everyone. So the blackout wasn’t a surprise or the result of an equipment failure. It was an emergency response to a lack of supply.​

CA, Dependent On Solar Power, Has Rolling Blackouts In Heat Wave. Hint: The Sun Sets At Night.
This on top of the water shortages and wild fires makes California a real $$$$hole.

Can't we have sensible nuclear projects and also work towards coming up alternative energy simultaneously?

You people are being totally unreasonable by obstructing every damn project under the sun.
1. This is from forever ago, nice pull I guess

2. I haven’t obstructed anything, and I don’t advocate for obstructing nuclear... so I don’t know where you get your “you people” rant.

3. Nuclear has a lot of practical issues that need ironed out, namely that it’s not really profitable and would likely need subsidized, which I’m fine with if you are.

It's only not profitable in markets the prioritize renewables. Nuclear is meant to run 24/7. If you force solar and wind on the grid, nuclear has to ramp. And it's not meant to ramp because the cost is in the capital and labor and not fuel. It can't layoff its workforce for those hours when solar is actually working.

It's only not profitable in markets the prioritize renewables. Nuclear is meant to run 24/7. If you force solar and wind on the grid, nuclear has to ramp. And it's not meant to ramp because the cost is in the capital and labor and not fuel. It can't layoff its workforce for those hours when solar is actually working.

Nukes do it allllll night!

and Dam projects too.

Reactions: StarRaider
1. This is from forever ago, nice pull I guess

2. I haven’t obstructed anything, and I don’t advocate for obstructing nuclear... so I don’t know where you get your “you people” rant.

3. Nuclear has a lot of practical issues that need ironed out, namely that it’s not really profitable and would likely need subsidized, which I’m fine with if you are.
Nuclear is actually very inexpensive to build and operate, it's the extra hoops that must be jumped through that drive up the cost and forever delay the construction. Think about all the nuke powered naval vessels. Slap one of those with a small gas turbine up in each town and the grid could virtually disappear.

Snail darter

From what I member, that breeder reactor was cutting edge back then, I have seen some reactor designs that currently look promising, but I am far from knowledgeable. Think even the ChiComs are using. Almost makes you think Progs want us living in the forest on nuts and berries.

I don't think the Breeder had anything to do with the Snail Darter. That was all the on the Little Tennessee river being dammed up. I know someone that was on the Breeder project so I'll inquire. To recall it was just funding that shut it down.

My bad then. A Looooong time ago.

VN Store

Back