'19 CA ATH/WR Horace "Bru" McCoy (Tennessee commit)

I’m not trying to rain on the parade here… but what’s the reality Bru plays at a high level all season? Guy went to USC, transferred to Texas after Kingsbury left, then a few months later transferred back to USC. Kind of got in trouble (sounded like a BS allegation) and now he’s with us after taking some limited snaps on a bad USC team.
For various reasons, there hasn't been a genuine opportunity to see what he's capable of. He got PT as a Fr in '20 but was out last year I believe due to the legal stuff. He's physically mature and deep into his eligibility but essentially a rising Sophomore in real experience.

FWIW, the three guys ahead of Bru at USC in '20 were this year's #8 pick, a 4th rounder from last year, and a guy who signed with the Colts as an undrafted free agent in the year before that. Kind of impressive that a Fr had any production at all behind a group like that.

I’m not trying to rain on the parade here… but what’s the reality Bru plays at a high level all season? Guy went to USC, transferred to Texas after Kingsbury left, then a few months later transferred back to USC. Kind of got in trouble (sounded like a BS allegation) and now he’s with us after taking some limited snaps on a bad USC team.

Don’t get me wrong physically and athletically he’s a beast but should we be this hyped? I was happy with our returning WR corp and incoming freshmen as is.

I don’t blame you for having questions and we should probably temper expectations given his history, but with talent like he has, you have to take the calculated risk. Hopefully he has matured and sees this as his last chance to make a pro career for himself and plays like it’s a contract year.

I don’t blame you for having questions and we should probably temper expectations given his history, but with talent like he has, you have to take the calculated risk. Hopefully he has matured and sees this as his last chance to make a pro career for himself and plays like it’s a contract year.
Yeah, hopefully

Reactions: Dudley Smith
Yea ...he looks to be a good possession guy ....not gonna hit the deep stuff ...if he is willing will be good blocking on some wr screens and a tough runner if thrown to him .. should be able to get a few extra yards ...or if he wants to make Pro money..try OLB on defense ...

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
Yea ...he looks to be a good possession guy ....not gonna hit the deep stuff ...if he is willing will be good blocking on some wr screens and a tough runner if thrown to him .. should be able to get a few extra yards ...or if he wants to make Pro money..try OLB on defense ...
We are going to get him drafted. Book it. The dude is a freak.

all the ones telling us not to be excited are just the worst. Last yr we went into the season with Tillman who had 8 career catches. Velus hadnt done much, Hyatt caught 20 passes his first season and Payton was a mystery even though we knew he was talented from his time at MSU.

in 1 yr Heupel got Velus drafted 3rd round, Tillman may go even higher and Hyatt is starting to come around. Just watch what he does with Bru.

Usually the same characters who bemoan every Division III level player in the portal picking another destination. Why don’t they PUMP THE BRAKES then? 😎
I had a similar thought.

"Bama and UGA get all the highly rated players! We'll never catch them!"

ALSO:

"We got highly rated players, but everybody restrain from expectations until they've proven it on the field!"

I had a similar thought.

"Bama and UGA get all the highly rated players! We'll never catch them!"

ALSO:

"We got highly rated players, but everybody restrain from expectations until they've proven it on the field!"
It's kinda like telling people not to enjoy what the baseball team is doing during the season, we need to wait and see if they win it all. If they don't win it all, the season is pointless.

NFL teams want to see college production. It's entirely possible he has a season like you propose and decides he doesn't mind going later in the draft. If he wants to go Day 1 or even Day 2, I think he needs better numbers. Like a 1000 yd season. Now, back-to-back 700-800 yd seasons would probably put him in that range as well because it demonstrates consistency. Consistency (assuming it happens) is what's going to move Tillman up the draft boards.
He needs to do all that plus run under 4.6

He's got the 35+ vertical and strong hands.
His speed might be the one question tho.

It's kinda like telling people not to enjoy what the baseball team is doing during the season, we need to wait and see if they win it all. If they don't win it all, the season is pointless.
200.gif

He will get some deep balls, but they will likely be the 50/50 jump balls 30-40 yds downfield, as opposed to him streaking 10 yds behind the DB.

Coach leaving is probably one reason.

Fresh restart is probably another. He wasn't having much luck at USC. Stock had dropped quite a bit. Saw what Hype did for Velus. Makes sense to me.

Velus and McGrath were huge for getting him here. Sounds like culture and playing style had a lot to do with his decision which makes me think he was looking for a new scene (can’t blame him with the bad luck, sometimes it’s best for all parties).

He'd have to have one hell of a year to do that. NFL doesn't care what they were rated coming out of HS. They care about production while in college. Bru hasn't been that productive yet. My guess is we'll have him for at least 2 seasons, but if he does put up just outrageous numbers this year, he might very well consider going pro. Either scenario could be good for us.
True.

He's rated a 90. A lower 4*.

Think the potential is still there, but he was also rated so highly out of HS due to raw athleticism that gave him the flexibility to be on offense or defense. Not as a pure WR.

Think he could be like a JJ or even better JJ. He is going to be physical as heck in the run game too. But people are probably getting ahead of themselves if they're only looking at his HS rating and expecting a top-10 overall player, #1/#2 WR nationally to come walking in. But THIS offense could easily make him something close to that. God I love this offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: EJVOL4LIFE

VN Store

Back