Butch post-game presser had me shaking my head for the first time...

Agree and disagree. I was with you on starting Worley with a decent line and if your offensive scheme is to have a pocket passer gun the ball to several high level WR's, then Worley showed throughout practices that he was the man for the job. I think this was what Butch Jones and Bajakian thought the season would be. However, that is NOT what happened. After the first 4 games offensive changes absolutely have to be made. You either change your scheme and stick to Worley throwing quick slants, corner routes, quick fade routes and a lot of screen plays or change your QB to be more mobile.

This falls on the OC and Butch to make the adjustments. If the decision is to RS Dobbs for the future and play Worley Bird or Peterman, you have to adjust your play calls. AND, the OLine did not play better, Dobbs has a much faster reaction time to when the line collapsed.

Do I think you go forward with Dobbs the rest of the season? Yes, you have already lost the RS and he is the future of the program. If you align your offense this year with a mobile QB and recruit mobile QB's then it will be smoother. Will I go for Worley if they start him next week, h*ll yes? But I hope for the team's sake, they will make the right play calls to help him be a passing QB.
Redshirt is burned, they might as well play the kid at this point to know what we have next year and give Worley more time to heal if he can't get it done.

I have no real problem if they play Dobbs. I honestly think though at this point Worley gives us the best chance to win now because Dobbs did not look bad but he as not the world beater people are making him out to be. he showed potential. Just trying to be realistic here. I know around here that's rare. It just disgusts me how everytime something happens, everyone jumps out like they had been thinking this the whole time when it is in fact not true. The offense sucked because any offense with a lie like that will struggle. A line that bad inhibits access to the full playbook. That is a fact anyone that understands anything about football should get that.

MobileQB's are more prone to injury than pocket passers no matter hat kind of line you have.With a bad line it gets even worse because he is gonna take thesacks and the big hits head on. Look at Name me a successful mobile QB that played behind a terrible line... I will wait. The secod peole start spouting out names i can hit them back with a laundry list of injury reports that QB showed up on. Remember Vicks last season in Philly? And that line was just kinda bad.

Reading these forums is like watching fox news.... everyweek a new witch hunt, endless finger pointing with no real basis in fact and of course blatant racism disquised as a compliment. I saw someone mention how well spoken and eloquent Dobbs was.. as if it was a surprise from an aeronautical engineering major.. but oh, I forgot, he has a slight natural tan those guys do not know how to act. smh you dissapoint me Volnation. seriously go back and searc hforums that statement has never been made about a white player on these boards but it made a lot about the black players. Like he is "one of the good ones" makes me sick.

Ok...poster channelling the not quite dead (but should be) spirit of James Carville, while you're venting and formulating racial etiquette, allow me this... Happy straight people will never get the word GAY back, but you Limey pinko commies ain't gonna tell me when and when not to apply WELL SPOKEN...Russell Wilson is receiving hell in Seattle and accused of "not being black enough" because he has the ability to speak at a convention if asked...this backard demented self hating shat needs to be squashed underfoot by the likes of Dobbs and similar athletes...Black, White, Eskimo or Scotch-Irish. I've used the term as praise for Peyton Manning and withheld it for Jeremy Shockey. One of my best friends is an AF buddy I met in Germany...whitest guy ever who speaks exclusively Ebonics...smart, clever, funny...can understand every third word. :pinch: He's an Army brat and he picked up what he heard...never was a deterrent to our friendship but I never applied the WELL SPOKEN moniker to him. All that to say this...I'll make a deal with you. I'll use the term whenever it applies, and if the recipient of said compliment is black?... I'll quadruple the effusiveness of said praise whilst you pine away in your eggshell Prius,clad in your hemp attire, and pretend that you can't do anything about it! :yu:

Saying that the coaches made a mistake by not playing dobbs sooner is some of the dumbest armchair coaching I have seen around here... and I have seen a LOT of hindsight armchair coaching around here.. I mean a LOT..

did I mention I see it a LOT?

Worley has been a damn warrior all season... had little tiny dobbs been in those games and been sacked 30+ times.. The kid would be in the hospital as we speak fighting to stay breathing because every bone in his chest would be broken.

Now let me just say I like Dobbs.. I really do. But the guy is rail thin, and no way he stands up to the beating our QB has had to take from some of the best and biggest Dlineman in all of CFB like Worley has had to do.

People really need to stop with this criticism of our coaches over expected results before they get fed up and go somewhere else.

It is seriously getting old.... not to mention making our fanbase the laughing stock of the CFB world once again.

Call in to ANY of the national sport shows and say you are a TN fan, and watch how you get treated without even saying anything else.

It makes the sane fan scared to even say they are a UT fan because we get lumped in with all the crazies...

Reactions: 3 people
Bottom line, dual threat QBs are difficult to game plan for , a variable in the equation. The pocket passer is the constant, as in constantly blitzed and sacked.

I personally never understood why TN resists recruiting and using dual threat QB's. It's a no brainer to me.:blink:

Saying that the coaches made a mistake by not playing dobbs sooner is some of the dumbest armchair coaching I have seen around here... and I have seen a LOT of hindsight armchair coaching around here.. I mean a LOT..

did I mention I see it a LOT?

Worley has been a damn warrior all season... had little tiny dobbs been in those games and been sacked 30+ times.. The kid would be in the hospital as we speak fighting to stay breathing because every bone in his chest would be broken.

Now let me just say I like Dobbs.. I really do. But the guy is rail thin, and no way he stands up to the beating our QB has had to take from some of the best and biggest Dlineman in all of CFB like Worley has had to do.

People really need to stop with this criticism of our coaches over expected results before they get fed up and go somewhere else.

It is seriously getting old.... not to mention making our fanbase the laughing stock of the CFB world once again.

Call in to ANY of the national sport shows and say you are a TN fan, and watch how you get treated without even saying anything else.

It makes the sane fan scared to even say they are a UT fan because we get lumped in with all the crazies...

He wouldn't have been sacked 30 times. That's the whole point, smart guy.

I did not say never. I said resists.:loco:

How many dual threat QB's have we used in the last 10 years?:loco:

Is that a 'UT' thing, or the product of the systems run by the coaches UT has hired? I guess one could ask why UT resists hiring coaches that run dual-threat offenses. But then, they hired Jones, who is a Rich-Rod disciple.

Splitting hairs, I guess. Sorry. To me, it's a meaningless question. UT hired who they hired, and those coaches recruited who they recruited.

I just watched the post-game presser and I have to say I am not sure what was going on with Butch..... For me, I just saw the first "chink" in his armor....Maybe its just me, but it was almost like he didn't want to give Dobbs any praise above or beyond regular "coach speak".... I know he has two other QBs to worry about and Worley is a battle-tested senior, but it was almost like he didn't want to hurt their feelings by giving Dobbs any praise.... he even went into detail on the negatives in Dobbs performance... Wonder if it was the simple fact that he and everyone else could see what a "gamer" Dobbs is for this offense and what a big mistake he and his staff have made up until this point by not playing him.... The funny part was when he kept saying "Josh adds another element to our offense".... REALLY, you don't say, no n lacking and probably the reason we are 3-5 instead of 4-4 or 5-3.... He then says "it will be another week of competitive practice to see who is ready!" Really? We are going to just go into practice this week and act like this didn't happen Saturday night? I sure hope to hell that was more coach speak so that USCe does not necessarily count on or fully prepare for Dobbs....
Hope CBJ was just in a little bit of shock (like most of us were) at what he just saw and was just trying to find the right words to be politically correct during the presser....
Let me be clear before I get bashed---
Worley has done an incredible job this year for us and is tough as nails, and Dobbs made plenty of mistakes last night and has plenty of room for improvement... but it is clear that some are great in practice(Peterman) and suck during the game, and others are "gamers" who are descent in practice, but are extremely competitive and can turn in on and ball under the lights.... Who knows, Dobbs might have been going through the motions at practice if he was told he was red-shirting and was thinking about Aero-space labs and not what he could do to start.....
Either way, this staff has an obligation to the players and the university to grind out the rest of this season and put the best players on the field to finish as strong as possible. These kids have worked too hard to go back to what was NOT working....
Butch said, "And if he's back that doesn't insure him he's gonna start as well. It's what individuals give us the best opportunity to win."

Redshirt is burned, they might as well play the kid at this point to know what we have next year and give Worley more time to heal if he can't get it done.

I have no real problem if they play Dobbs. I honestly think though at this point Worley gives us the best chance to win now because Dobbs did not look bad but he as not the world beater people are making him out to be. he showed potential. Just trying to be realistic here. I know around here that's rare. It just disgusts me how everytime something happens, everyone jumps out like they had been thinking this the whole time when it is in fact not true. The offense sucked because any offense with a lie like that will struggle. A line that bad inhibits access to the full playbook. That is a fact anyone that understands anything about football should get that.

MobileQB's are more prone to injury than pocket passers no matter hat kind of line you have.With a bad line it gets even worse because he is gonna take thesacks and the big hits head on. Look at Name me a successful mobile QB that played behind a terrible line... I will wait. The secod peole start spouting out names i can hit them back with a laundry list of injury reports that QB showed up on. Remember Vicks last season in Philly? And that line was just kinda bad.

I'm not sure anyone ever disagreed with you that mobile QB's don't get hit more. Everyone just saw something against Bama that hasn't happened since the UGA game. Some spark and life in the offense instead of 3 and outs or decent drives that end in a busted play.

Like I said, I will whole heartedly root for whoever plays at QB and just hope that the play calls help the offense instead of stall it. Worley should be no more than 3 step drop passes and spread the wealth to all of our talented receivers. Dobbs should be...well exactly what it was this last weekend.

VN Store

Back