Butch: "Mark my words..."

"...there's a lot of football yet to be played."

those were butch's words following usce, probably the worst loss of our decade of mediocrity. Well, as is often the case w/ butch, these ended up just being another meaningless phrase in the year in which it was supposed to all come together.

Anyone who believes this season is anything other than a total failure is delusional. We couldn't even win the sec east when it's at its worst in a generation, perhaps ever.

Now, much of our talent (those who haven't already left) will be moving on, & jones has a stable of 3*'s replacing them. This was the year & he blew it by not having his team ready to play a truly awful usce team with two weeks to prepare.

Time to rip off the band aid, move on, & hire kiffin. And no, i'm not kidding.

you want to hire someone that would do the samething as last time he was hired at ut. Butch jones is the right head coach for tennessee he is like fulmer he needs the right offensive and defensive coach's

Reactions: 1 person
My point is we are TN and expected to be in the sec championship running every year.

You expect less than that and you don't know our history.

What constitutes "in the running?" It took 11 weeks into the season before they were "out" of the running. How many SEC teams can say that?

2 offensive and 2 defensive coordinators later and still have same issues. It's not the coordinators it's Butch

You're really trying to say the loss to South Carolina is worse than the loss to Wyoming? A bit emotional Ehh..? Lol.

For sure it's worse. The loss to Wyoming came after we already fired Fulmer. The season and an Era was effectively over.

The two worst losses in the last decade were 2016 USC and 2011 Kentucky. Not debatable.

For sure it's worse. The loss to Wyoming came after we already fired Fulmer. The season and an Era was effectively over.

The two worst losses in the last decade were 2016 USC and 2011 Kentucky. Not debatable.

2015 Florida is absolutely on the list. 2014 Florida isn't far off.

What constitutes "in the running?" It took 11 weeks into the season before they were "out" of the running. How many SEC teams can say that?

Not even Florida fans expected Florida to win the East. That's how badly Butch sh!t the bed this year.

UT will never ever have this easy a path to Atlanta again.

2015 Florida is absolutely on the list. 2014 Florida isn't far off.

Last year's Florida game was embarrassing because of how it ended. But the fact is that game was supposed to be competitive. That's a huge difference. Losing to USC this year is simply mind bogglingly unexpected.

"...there's a lot of football yet to be played."

Time to rip off the band aid, move on, & hire Kiffin. And no, I'm not kidding.

You would actually want to hire the guy that left us in the middle of the night like Modell did Baltimore? The guy who mocks and takes cheap shots at us every chance he gets? The one who help to set the program back a decade? The one who quit on us when we needed him to rebuild?

Gotta be blue font man, but if you're serious then you need to re-evaluate who your friends are. You probably have a lot of strap hangers.

0-26 vs top 10 teams since 2007.

Other than Kiffin who had a promising start, we have had 9 years of coaching from a non Power 5 affiliated Head Coach.

Coincidence?

0-26 vs top 10 teams since 2007.

Other than Kiffin who had a promising start, we have had 9 years of coaching from a non Power 5 affiliated Head Coach.

Coincidence?

Kiffin? Beat UGA & Scar. Lost to everyone else. What a joke.

I honestly wish Butch Jones would stop saying we have the best fans in America. We don't. The stadium wasn't even half full in the 4th quarter and you all make coming on this board painful and and make our fan base look like a bunch of whining little babies that are detached from reality.

You should all be ashamed and should question your level of fanaticism and level of which you look at life as a positive experience. Our fans are sick with negativity and it is a poor reflection on Knoxville as well as volnation.com. You all collectively are a part of a negative experience. Congratulations.

Let me put things into perspective. I am not going to get lost in the clouds like you all, because framing reality would not include what could have been or what we all wanted to happen. That isn't reality. What counts is where we were and where we are.

So, that being said, does anyone remember losing to Kentucky, Vandy, SC, Florida, Georgia AND Missouri? I think the only thing we were able to avoid was losing to ALL of them in one year. Well we have beat all but 1 of those teams this year and with more injuries to our team than I can remember. Does anyone remember going 5-6 in 2009 (no bowl), 6-7 in 2010 (bowl loss), 5-7 in 2011 (no bowl), 5-7 in 2012 (no bowl), 5-7 in 2013 (no bowl),7-6, 6-6 in 2014 excluding our bowl win, 8-5, 7-5 excluding our bowl win in 2015 and 9-4, 8-4 excluding our bowl win last year. (You may have noticed a slight uptick in those figures and well guess who was responsible for that and our possible 10-3 record this year?)

So,I am not sure what logic it is you are using to base your realistically founded opinions on, but from what I can see, 10-3 is NOT a total disaster or even a disaster at all. If anyone is delusional it is the OP of this post and anyone who agrees with that person.

Let's talk more reality. Tennessee has won ONE NC since 1998 and the closest other title would have been in 1967, and that 31-year gap is the longest in program history. Where are your expectations coming from? I think I have counted that we won 10 East titles since Majors took over, 7 of which were won by Fulmer who our beloved fans and faculty fired. ONE YEAR after going 10-4 and winning the East. We haven't even come CLOSE until this year... and that's not enough? Again, WHERE are your EXPECTATIONS coming from?

Well guess what folks? The REALITY IS that >>>IF<<< we go 2-0 from here (yes a bunch of you were whining during a game where we just destroyed our opponent more the anyone else that has played them), we are 10-3. Most coaches in America would be happy with that record and until we can sustain a record similar to even THAT.... YOUR.... expectations... which are delusional considering we haven't had a record as good as 10-3 since Fulmer..... are undeniably delusional. AND the reduculousness by which our fan-base operates in my opinion is why we struggle to get the coaches we want. Kiffin isn't coming here. Are you kidding me? Butch is OUR GUY. Support the success he has had and hold him to continual improvement and then you are part of a fair fan base that a coach, beyond his classy coach speak, would actually enjoy representing. Right now YOU are sub par. Not Butch.

What is perplexing is that 5 years ago, had ANYONE said hey, in 4 years from now, UT will be so good that they will have a shot at the East, Champ, SEC champ and playoffs but will be considered to have some disappointment if we go 10-3 with mostly 2nd stringers throughout the year and seemingly as many 3rd as 1st at times, any person who lived in reality would have happily embraced that POSSIBILITY. YOU sir, however are delusional and toxic to the fan base.

In the mean time I will appreciate what we have done and hope Butch continues on with a >>>successful<<< season to build off of once again.

And don't bother with coming back with some half wit post, I don't read responses to my posts, because there really is no valid argument. The only valid action is for you to realize how pathetic you make our fan-base look and change your ways and walk towards the light and try being a supportive fan. I boo your attitude.

Do you not watch football? Just a couple weeks ago Ohio States stadium was empty in the 4th quarter because they were blowing out Nebraska and Nebraska was a top 25 team!!!!!!! When Butch says we have the best fans, he's talking about YOU! You don't consider it a bad season unless it compares to the Dooley years, literally the worst football ever played at Tennessee????? My God, what has our fan base come to. You just continue to support a coach that gives you 8 and 9 won seasons. In fact Florida fans will begin calling you the best fans in America for keeping their program on top!

You keep talking bad about or history, we'll you tell me which SEC east program has more of a winning tradition thanot Tennessee has? Florida was sh!t until the 1990s, literally no one paid attention to them. Also never mind the fact that Florida or any other eastern program is anywhere near a good football team right now.

Our fans should expect that Tennessee will own the East each and every year. Especially in a year where we were head and shoulders better than the rest.

You lack context and yet your try to criticize people for not having perspective.

Butch thanks you personally for the pile of money he gets to sleep on every night. You keep on blindly cheering and act like that will somehow make the team better as they consistently underperform. You wear this like a badge of honor, like it somehow makes you a better fan. Bullsh!t. Absolute garbage. An entire stadium of fans and hundreds of thousands of others stand in witness to what is really happening at UT, but with your pompous self riteousness you simply dismiss them as being bad fans and only you could possibly have the right perspective. Butch Jones deserves fans like you to keep him proped up.

It was year one. He almost beat Bama. I don't care what you say, he's a douche bag but he can coach.

Hypothetical question - answer honestly.

If Fulmer returned in 2009 and posts the exact same record/results, what is your reaction?

What is 90% of the VolNation reaction?

People would've called for him to be fired.

What logical answer do you have for Kiffin wanting to come back to UT?

He is a douche, but he will be coaching in the SEC sooner than later and he will be the one guy who is gunning for Saban.... And we saw what he can do vs Saban with a bandaid offensive line and a horrible QB.

You're a fool if you say you would rather play against him than win with him...

after Saturday's post game and today's presser....i think i'm just tired of words comingo ut of Butch's mouth. he needs a bonafide PR person to tell him what to say because he clearly does not have his finger on the pulse of the ENTIRE program.....smh.

Reactions: 1 person
He is a douche, but he will be coaching in the SEC sooner than later and he will be the one guy who is gunning for Saban.... And we saw what he can do vs Saban with a bandaid offensive line and a horrible QB.

You're a fool if you say you would rather play against him than win with him...

That doesn't answer my question. Why would Kiffin come to UT? Idk how long you've been following football but he's already coached here once. It didn't end well. So again, how do you get Kiffin to come back to UT? And more importantly, why would he come here?!?!

after Saturday's post game and today's presser....i think i'm just tired of words comingo ut of Butch's mouth. he needs a bonafide PR person to tell him what to say because he clearly does not have his finger on the pulse of the ENTIRE program.....smh.

He's had some interesting quotes this year. Moreso than the first 3.

Last year's Florida game was embarrassing because of how it ended. But the fact is that game was supposed to be competitive. That's a huge difference. Losing to USC this year is simply mind bogglingly unexpected.

We had the East wrapped up and we gave Florida a free win. Awful.

That doesn't answer my question. Why would Kiffin come to UT? Idk how long you've been following football but he's already coached here once. It didn't end well. So again, how do you get Kiffin to come back to UT? And more importantly, why would he come here?!?!

You want reasons? Money and a guaranteed game, if not two, vs Saban every year...

He's had some interesting quotes this year. Moreso than the first 3.

it's leaving a lot to be desired, and making it very difficult for me to remember any of the good he's done for this program.

1 step forward, 2 steps back. do you know how easy it would be to like this guy if he just had any kind of personality?

he's really not terrible. and he's not been bad for this program. but he's derailing any momentum he's built up with the fanbase.

he should hang sign outside his office "just be glad i'm not Dooley".:banghead2:

What kind of alternate universe are people living in that makes them think Kiffin will ever be a head coach in the SEC? Of all the crap being thrown around the board these days, that is the most uninformed ridiculous comment yet.

VN Store

Back