Butch learned a little from those earlier losses

I didn't see anyone coaching or playing tight, really. Nor did I see any terrible decisions by the staff, like declined penalties or not milking the clock late in the game.

Maybe he isn't as hard headed as we thought.

I would like to think the VN "coaches" might have learned something about football beyond their imagination(s) however I am resigned to the fact that this isn't possible. Oh well........GO VOLS.:)

Butch played relaxed football for 4 qtrs..... I did notice he only let Dobb's run keepers to eat up the clock the last few minutes.

Would've liked to have seen a little more creativity there on our last drive...a first down ends the game. Instead, we had to rely on a miracle punt from Daniel and a porous defense making a play at the goaline on a last second play.

Reactions: 1 person
Would've liked to have seen a little more creativity there on our last drive...a first down ends the game. Instead, we had to rely on a miracle punt from Daniel and a porous defense making a play at the goaline on a last second play.

We ran the same plays that had been working the entire game and came up inches short, geez. That porous defense that gave up one big play for a TD in the 2nd half? Id hardly call Daniels punt a miracle punt. Its amazing how good that sucker has played this year. He may be our best freaking player.

Last edited:
Butch played relaxed football for 4 qtrs..... I did notice he only let Dobb's run keepers to eat up the clock the last few minutes.

That was disappointing. He's gotta start trying to get first downs in that situation, not willing to give the ball back and expect this defense to stop anyone in that situation. The clock stopped Ga not Tennessee

Reactions: 2 people
That was disappointing. He's gotta start trying to get first downs in that situation, not willing to give the ball back and expect this defense to stop anyone in that situation. The clock stopped Ga not Tennessee

where the f*** do you people come from, good grief.

We did what we should have done against UF and OK. That was the right move.

We ran the same plays that had been working the entire game and came up inches short, geez. That porous defense that gave up one big play for a TD in the 2nd half? Id hardly call Daniels punt a miracle punt. Its amazing how good that sucker has played this year. He may be our best freaking player.

The defense let them off the half yard line to get in position for a realistic pass to tie the game. I think it qualifies as porous.

And they dodged a major bullet with the dropped TD in the end zone as well. There is still plenty of work to be done on defense.

Daniels punt was gonna be great regardless of the bounce. He has been amazing. Special teams has been incredible across the board all season.

Reactions: 2 people

They had those plays sniffed out pretty well. Something just a little different and the game was over. And while Daniels is a beast, it took a freak hop of the ball for that drive to not start on the 25 instead of the .5 yard line. And yes, when they go into prevent defense, other teams pretty much just walk down the field.

The defense let them off the half yard line to get in position for a realistic pass to tie the game. I think it qualifies as porous.

And they dodged a major bullet with the dropped TD in the end zone as well. There is still plenty of work to be done on defense.

Daniels punt was gonna be great regardless of the bounce. He has been amazing. Special teams has been incredible across the board all season.

Our defense wasnt porous last night. Thats all im going to say about that. We also droppped a couple TD passes but lets not mention them. Yall go ahead and pull all the negative out of this game you want to but in the end...38-31 speaks volumes. We outscored them 35-7 to finish the game. Yall are right, thats porous as hell.

Last edited:

1. I get that we ran plays that had been working earlier. After 1st 2 plays up middle, would've liked to see Dobbs roll out with maybe a run-throw option. No big deal, subjective thinking in hindsight. And again, if we convert thst first down, the game is over.

2. Our defense had been tackling very poorly all day, had given up 3 long pass plays, one of which had just been, fortunately, dropped. And, as we saw, they pretty much marched down the field about 80 yards prior to the final play where they had a good look to win it/tie it up. All I'm saying is, in this context, do a little more to convert that first down and the game is over....no final drive by Georgia which they nearly finished to tie the game up and send to overtime.

3. Look, Daniel is an outstanding punter, has been incredible. But if you don't think a punt that lands inside the 5 and then takes an immediate hard left to go out at the half yard line is a "miracle" punt, then I'm not sure what is. For crying out loud, thank God it happened, but let's just call it what it was.

Our defense wasnt porous last night. Thats all im going to say about that. We also droppped a couple TD passes but lets not mention them. Yall go ahead and pull all the negative out of this game you want to but in the end...38-31 speaks volumes. We outscored them 35-7 to finish the game. Yall are right, thats porous as hell.

444 yards, 7.2 yards per play, a lot of splash plays, a lot of missed tackles...the defense was porous. Fortunately they found a way to get a defensive stop at the end and they deserve great credit for it. All I'm saying is that if we do a little more to convert that last 3rd down on offense, the game is over and there's no drama at the end. That's not being critical, it's being factual and just discussing the game.

444 yards, 7.2 yards per play, a lot of splash plays, a lot of missed tackles...the defense was porous. Fortunately they found a way to get a defensive stop at the end and they deserve great credit for it. All I'm saying is that if we do a little more to convert that last 3rd down on offense, the game is over and there's no drama at the end. That's not being critical, it's being factual and just discussing the game.

35-7 to finish the game. As we all know, crossing the goal line is all that matters and they didnt do much of that to finish. Yes, a first down would have ended the game but I agree with us punting at the end, did you?

Last edited:
Honest question. How will we be "loaded" next year?

Maybe referring to the fact that in all likelihood, 100% of our starters and 90% of our 2 deep will not be freshman, rather seasoned veterans... And almost all highly rated talent.

Rosters reminiscent of the 90s again... Finally.

Agreed!
Three short keeper type runs looked like we were falling back into our old routines then the "miracle punt" gave us the edge.
Other than this drive I think we played more aggressively and their defense was stressed because of it

Definitely agree BUT it makes the coaches jobs easier when players execute and make plays. When sure hands Hurd fumbled I told my dad "You cant teach this kind of losing".

Yet the WRs made plays, Dobbs was a little more accurate and the defense didn't break (I know I know the dropped pass). They finally played for quarters.

Definitely agree BUT it makes the coaches jobs easier when players execute and make plays. When sure hands Hurd fumbled I told my dad "You cant teach this kind of losing".

Yet the WRs made plays, Dobbs was a little more accurate and the defense didn't break (I know I know the dropped pass). They finally played for quarters.

They playing for quarters now? They use to play for dimes. :)

Agree. Lambert is a Virginia reject. He left the Cavs.
because he sucked at QB. We made him look like Peyton.
We continually give up the bomb. We need to go to the Tampa 2 pass D from what I am seeing and we look like we are trying to tackle a greased pig. But beating GA. when you live down here is very very satisfying.

35-7 to finish the game. As we all know, crossing the goal line is all that matters and they didnt do much of that to finish. Yes, a first down would have ended the game but I agree with us punting at the end, did you?

I was screaming for the Vols to go for it. The way I saw it was (a) if you go and don't get it, the field is long enough for a chance to stop them, and (b) if you do get it, game over. I just didn't trust our secondary to protect the lead. Which, absent a dropped pass by a wide open receiver, proved to be a valid concern.

It was a very gutty, gritty win. Georgia is a solid team. Last night, UT outplayed them, and outcoached them. It was nice to see UT still standing tall when the bell rang.

Only two play is ran different. Instead of hurd I'd of QB sneaked it into the end zone .

Also would of went for it on 4 and inches at the end of the game . The plus way over ways the negitives imo . U get it game is over . U lose it then they can tie the game faster .

I was screaming for the Vols to go for it. The way I saw it was (a) if you go and don't get it, the field is long enough for a chance to stop them, and (b) if you do get it, game over. I just didn't trust our secondary to protect the lead. Which, absent a dropped pass by a wide open receiver, proved to be a valid concern.

It was a very gutty, gritty win. Georgia is a solid team. Last night, UT outplayed them, and outcoached them. It was nice to see UT still standing tall when the bell rang.

I see a T and a G under your avi.....You confused?

we should be undefeated right now. why haven't we played this well all season!?

Yes, we choked away the ou and florida games, big-time: (it wouldn't be football season without the Vols gagging against florida). But arkansas handled us. We were too slow to get the passing game going, or maybe georgia's defense is not very good--didn't they get killed by bama, too?

Agree. Lambert is a Virginia reject. He left the Cavs.
because he sucked at QB. We made him look like Peyton.
We continually give up the bomb. We need to go to the Tampa 2 pass D from what I am seeing and we look like we are trying to tackle a greased pig. But beating GA. when you live down here is very very satisfying.

Lambert can carve you up with the short to medium range stuff, and has a decent deep ball. The trick is to pressure him. He can't keep his eyes downfield when he feels the rush.

Mitchell and Davis are legitimate deep threats, and Mitchell is an acrobat. Both of those guys scared the crap out of me last night.

Our secondary is a liability. I don't know how to fix that, but unless we do something, opposing QB's will feast on our back 5 for the rest of the year.

Helluva game. Helluva win. First time I've seen this team play with fire in their eyes for 4 quarters. Whatever it was, keep doing it.

I see a T and a G under your avi.....You confused?

No. Born and raised a Vol fan (Powell). Military career led me to GA in 1993, where I've been ever since. Wife is a UGA fan. We usually go to the UT/UGA game, but took a pass this year.

So...I'm a UT fan 365, and a UGA fan for all but one Saturday a year.

VN Store

Back