Butch learned a little from those earlier losses

KingtUT

I reign supreme!
Only two play is ran different. Instead of hurd I'd of QB sneaked it into the end zone .

Also would of went for it on 4 and inches at the end of the game . The plus way over ways the negitives imo . U get it game is over . U lose it then they can tie the game faster .
I wouldve punted it without question. The fact that he didnt shows me that he doesnt let the vocal minority of this fanbase dictate any of his decisions. Punting was the right call imo win, lose or draw.

armchair

Would've liked to have seen a little more creativity there on our last drive...a first down ends the game. Instead, we had to rely on a miracle punt from Daniel and a porous defense making a play at the goaline on a last second play.
Somebody said, 'well, we ran the same plays that had worked earlier in the game.' Yea, but with the game on the line, your opponent is going to be crowding the line, expecting you (us) to run the ball and be fairly conservative--which we were. We did the same freakin' thing against florida: one or two first downs and we win the game, but we call conservative plays and have to punt. And anybody who thinks this defense is going to win a game is crazy--we got lucky at the end with the dropped td pass, the punt, georgia had already used 1 or 2 TOs, and a minute left. Our defense wasn't going to stop them...they just ran out of time. Not trying to be negative, but this offense needs to make first downs and win a game and not pretend that the defense will come through. It didn't come through in three straight losses. We gave up 7+ yards a play.

armchair

It's very easy to open up the offense and be relaxed when you are behind by 14 points. Do you think Jones would have played that way if we were ahead? History says no.

KingtUT

I reign supreme!
No. Born and raised a Vol fan (Powell). Military career led me to GA in 1993, where I've been ever since. Wife is a UGA fan. We usually go to the UT/UGA game, but took a pass this year.

So...I'm a UT fan 365, and a UGA fan for all but one Saturday a year.
Funny how women can screw us men up sometimes. Lol

KBVol

35-7 to finish the game. As we all know, crossing the goal line is all that matters and they didnt do much of that to finish. Yes, a first down would have ended the game but I agree with us punting at the end, did you?
I agreed with the punt as well. Just giving my opinion that if we do something a little different than just run Dobbs 3 straight times up the middle on our last drive, that we maybe, even likely get the first down and the punt isn't even necessary....all we're doing at that point is the victory formation. Instead, we gave them one last shot.

Btw, the 35-7 finish was outstanding. Now we need to figure out how to eliminate the 24-3 beginning.

Last edited:

OrangeYankee

I really really hope they have, but honestly they didn't have much of a choice but to punch the accelerator and hope for the best last night, after being down 24-3.

Just a thought on the defense: Not only did the Vols go on a 35-7 run, but honestly Georgia only scored 17 offensive points (1 freak fumble, and 1 kick return accounted for 14 of the points). Yep there is room to improve, but it's hard for me to be too hard on a unit that has suffered some pretty significant losses in the first 5 games, and still managed to hold a pretty high octane offense to 17 points.

The offense: I'll have more of that please. It wasn't perfect, but holy hell was it much more fun to watch. They just have to suck it up and just keep passing. It's the only way these guys are going to learn how to make it work. And since they were hitting much more, it opened up the running game. I would have rather the OU, and Florida losses be a case of Tennessee falling behind and just falling short of catching up, then blowing late games leads like they actually played out.

There are 6 games left, and I really believe if they play like they did last night, 5 of the games are very winnable and even the 6th has at least an outside chance of success. However, if they revert to being timid again, it won't be as pretty. Here's to hoping that corner has indeed been turned.

(Edit: bad math is bad)

KingtUT

I reign supreme!
I agreed with the punt as well. Just giving my opinion that if we do something a little different than just run Dobbs 3 straight times up the middle on our last drive, that we maybe, even likely get the first down and the punt isn't even necessary....all we're doing at that point is the victory formation. Instead, we gave them one last shot.

Btw, the 35-7 finish was outstanding. Now we need to figure out how to eliminate the 24-3 beginning.
Right on

JonGrudensAgent

Our defense wasnt porous last night. Thats all im going to say about that. We also droppped a couple TD passes but lets not mention them. Yall go ahead and pull all the negative out of this game you want to but in the end...38-31 speaks volumes. We outscored them 35-7 to finish the game. Yall are right, thats porous as hell.
It's a 4 quarter game or haven't you been watching this season?

The only negative I pulled out was that the defense had work to do. That's really slamming these guys. Jeesh.

I am glad the coaching staff and players don't have your attitude and will be looking to improve off of this game.

KingtUT

I reign supreme!

The only negative I pulled out was that the defense had work to do. That's really slamming these guys. Jeesh.

I am glad the coaching staff and players don't have your attitude and will be looking to improve off of this game.
:snoring:

orangetd88

Agent of Chaos
I was screaming for the Vols to go for it. The way I saw it was (a) if you go and don't get it, the field is long enough for a chance to stop them, and (b) if you do get it, game over. I just didn't trust our secondary to protect the lead. Which, absent a dropped pass by a wide open receiver, proved to be a valid concern.

It was a very gutty, gritty win. Georgia is a solid team. Last night, UT outplayed them, and outcoached them. It was nice to see UT still standing tall when the bell rang.
IIRC, we had the ball on our own 40 something. Had it been a bit closer to midfield, or in UGA territory, I agree with you. But punting in that scenario was the best thing, and it worked out for us.

sjt18

I didn't see anyone coaching or playing tight, really. Nor did I see any terrible decisions by the staff, like declined penalties or not milking the clock late in the game.

Maybe he isn't as hard headed as we thought.
I agree and hope you are right.

Hopefully it isn't just a function of playing from behind for most of the game. That's how they should play even with a lead.

sjt18

I feel pretty good that the D only allowed 17 points. Maybe even a little better that they weren't the result of long, dominating drives. It isn't that I want to allow big plays... but rather than I didn't want to see UT's front 7 dominated by the UGA OL... which is supposed to be pretty good.

orangetd88

Agent of Chaos
I agree and hope you are right.

Hopefully it isn't just a function of playing from behind for most of the game. That's how they should play even with a lead.
I hope that is the case, as well.

What I had in mind when I made this post, though, was when we did have the lead. Granted, we still had to punt the ball away, but with out last possession, we took time off the clock and didn't run our normal hurry up.

Jeepkuntry

I didn't think Arkansas was on the coaches. Dobbs was off all night and when he did get the ball where it needed to be we dropped it. Did seem like we managed the last part of the game better this week though.
Against Arkansas, our D failed to tackle the entire game. Dobbs was off as well and we deserved that loss. Oklahoma and Florida falls directly in the coaches lap. I'm glad they won, but this is just one win. It doesn't erase the nightmare of OK & FL. Honestly I think Georgia is overrated. The two times they've been tested this year they have lost.

sjt18

I hope that is the case, as well.

What I had in mind when I made this post, though, was when we did have the lead. Granted, we still had to punt the ball away, but with out last possession, we took time off the clock and didn't run our normal hurry up.
My favorite part was they came out more aggressive. That's where I am hanging my hopes. Four of the first 7 plays were passes and one of them was a tip and INT. Jones didn't quit on the pass game or crawl into a shell again.

They also seemed to attack the middle and mid-range more. The back shoulder to P Wms means future opponents have to game plan for it.

UGA stuck with their plan to try to stuff the run. They keyed on Hurd. Even though Dobbs wasn't really hot early... Jones didn't give up on using the pass.

I find hope in this.

orangetd88

Agent of Chaos
My favorite part was they came out more aggressive. That's where I am hanging my hopes. Four of the first 7 plays were passes and one of them was a tip and INT. Jones didn't quit on the pass game or crawl into a shell again.

They also seemed to attack the middle and mid-range more. The back shoulder to P Wms means future opponents have to game plan for it.

UGA stuck with their plan to try to stuff the run. They keyed on Hurd. Even though Dobbs wasn't really hot early... Jones didn't give up on using the pass.

I find hope in this.
Yeah, we gave up on the run way too early against Arky, IMO.

We stuck with the game plan this time and it got us a W.

VN Store