Butch learned a little from those earlier losses

orangetd88

Agent of Chaos
I didn't see anyone coaching or playing tight, really. Nor did I see any terrible decisions by the staff, like declined penalties or not milking the clock late in the game.

Maybe he isn't as hard headed as we thought.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't think anyone who watched this game can legitimately say he or the staff failed to learn from their past mistakes. IMO, it was obvious all the coaches "coached to win" this game vs. "coaching not to lose" which they absolutely did against OU and FLA. For their sake they better keep the "play to win" mentality from this point forward as long as they are here. If they revert back to "playing not to lose", they will do exactly that, LOSE, and find themselves on the wrong side of the fan base again. Hopefully the OP is right, and they did indeed learn a lesson, that will stick.

Reactions: 6 people
we should be undefeated right now. why haven't we played this well all season!?

I'd rather go through these growing pains this year rather than next year when we're loaded.

We should be better across the board next year. Add in the motivation caused by our close defeats this year and you have the perfect elements for a national championship winning season.

We just gotta finish this year strong. 10-3 here we come!!!

Reactions: 3 people
I didn't see anyone coaching or playing tight, really. Nor did I see any terrible decisions by the staff, like declined penalties or not milking the clock late in the game.

Maybe he isn't as hard headed as we thought.

I am sure he learned a little but the ball bounced our way a little more tonight. I hate to say it but the O line shake up seemed to make a huge difference in our execution of the offense.

Reactions: 2 people
I am sure he learned a little but the ball bounced our way a little more tonight. I hate to say it but the O line shake up seemed to make a huge difference in our execution of the offense.

The ball did not bounce our way that much. The first quarter fumble was a one in a million type play. The refs swallowed their whistles on a few plays where UGA should've gotten penalties that would've resulted in points for UT and taken points away from UGA. Dobbs' INT was a fluke type play where the ball bounced right to UGA. Now the ball did bounce our way when the UGA receiver dropped the TD and the punt was amazing.

I was impressed with Hall he more than held his own with Floyd, I also thought J.Jones was more than adequate.

Reactions: 1 person
I didn't think Arkansas was on the coaches. Dobbs was off all night and when he did get the ball where it needed to be we dropped it. Did seem like we managed the last part of the game better this week though.

The ball did not bounce our way that much. The first quarter fumble was a one in a million type play. The refs swallowed their whistles on a few plays where UGA should've gotten penalties that would've resulted in points for UT and taken points away from UGA. Dobbs' INT was a fluke type play where the ball bounced right to UGA. Now the ball did bounce our way when the UGA receiver dropped the TD and the punt was amazing.

Those are fair points. We really showed some guts in this game. I listened to the game and only saw the highlights when I got home. When they showed Georgia's dropped TD pass I died!

GOOD! He NEEDED to! Too bad his previous 9 years as a HFC didn't teach him "playing NOT to lose...rarely works!"

But I'm proud of Butch, but even prouder of the effort I saw on the field!

Reactions: 1 person
I think playing from behind most of the game had more to do with the aggressive play than anything.
Hall and Jones on the oline seemed to help also.
Debord called a pretty decent game mixing it up and using QB strengths.
Great win.

I love how so many Vol fans think that just because you go for it on 4th down means youre coaching to win. Sometimes its just not the right thing to do. We had a lot of players step up and make plays last night and thats what it takes to win. Congrats to the players and the coaches for getting it done last night. GO VOLS

GOOD! He NEEDED to! Too bad his previous 9 years as a HFC didn't teach him "playing NOT to lose...rarely works!"

But I'm proud of Butch, but even prouder of the effort I saw on the field!

Which (like it or not) is also a credit to the culture Butch is creating.

I don't necessarily think he learned a lesson, instead he was forced to keep the foot on the accelerator, and that's what drove us to this win. He needs to do that when up 14 points too.

Well they apparently have been reading VN. Remember the 17 hour meeting...there ya go. The coaching staff were told everything they has to do to be successful. Thanks VN brethren...take a well-deserved bow. :yahoo:

GO VOLS!

Those are fair points. We really showed some guts in this game. I listened to the game and only saw the highlights when I got home. When they showed Georgia's dropped TD pass I died!

Yes! When Davis missed that pass i couldn't believe what i saw! I think my heart jumped a few beats! Lol

Butch played relaxed football for 4 qtrs..... I did notice he only let Dobb's run keepers to eat up the clock the last few minutes.

I'd rather go through these growing pains this year rather than next year when we're loaded.

We should be better across the board next year. Add in the motivation caused by our close defeats this year and you have the perfect elements for a national championship winning season.

We just gotta finish this year strong. 10-3 here we come!!!

Honest question. How will we be "loaded" next year?

Because of poor tackling and poor pass defense

And coaching malpractice at key moments in second halves of games. All are factors. We can add poor blocking, inaccurate QB passing and poor WR play as well IMO.

VN Store

Back