Butch Jones got a promotion

But your forgetting his main issue, he's not at bama to get better he honestly believes he's a great coach already. He's there to have a job and get paid from UT. Guaranteed, after our checks stop or are about to stop he'll end up as head coach or something at a rinky dink school where he'll probably do ok

I don't understand this thinking. He's going to get UT money no matter what job he has. Whether his current job offsets it by $35K a year or 800K, he still has the same income. Why wouldn't he take the job that he thinks gives him the best opportunity for the future?

He may end up a HC at a rinky dink school, but I seriously doubt he will do well unless he changes his ways. UT was the only HC job he's ever had that lasted more than three years, and we saw what happened in years four and five. If he doesn't change, he will fail. School size doesn't matter. He could not sustain a winning culture. Maybe his stint at 'Bama has helped him with that. Time will tell.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I don't understand this thinking. He's going to get UT money no matter what job he has. Whether his current job offsets it by $35K a year or 800K, he still has the same income. Why wouldn't he take the job that he thinks gives him the best opportunity for the future?

He may end up a HC at a rinky dink school, but I seriously doubt he will do well unless he changes his ways. UT was the only HC job he's ever had that lasted more than three years, and we saw what happened in years four and five. If he doesn't change, he will fail. School size doesn't matter. He could not sustain a winning culture. Maybe his stint at 'Bama has helped him with that. Time will tell.
He would get UT money regardless but if he were to get a decent job it would offset what we owe, why would he just keep making his 30,000 a year at bama instead? Because dude no stress and still make great money from a school that fired him. I do believe that at a smaller school he'll have success, he's a salesman who can recruit but must rely on their given talent because he's definitely not going to coach anyone up.

He no longer an associate. He is now assistant to the manager....

He's had chances to take on the field coaching jobs elsewhere, but refuses to take them because he wants to keep getting every cent from UT that he can. Just makes me hate him that much more and further proves how .uch of a low character POS that he is. But that's fine, he's not our problem anymore.

I think if he could get a P5 or G5 job he would take it. No one in the 10 conferences wants him. I think its about that simple.

Saban keeps him on staff because it sticks it to a rival.

Not true. He was all but gone to Maryland as a position coach and he backed out. His name came up at Rutgers and a few other places. He's doing it purel3out of spite and Saban is doing it because he has Jones as his Bit$ch Boy. Butch has had several chances but he's not leaving Ala till we are done paying him.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Not true. He was all but gone to Maryland as a position coach and he backed out. His name came up at Rutgers and a few other places. He's doing it purel3out of spite and Saban is doing it because he has Jones as his Bit$ch Boy. Butch has had several chances but he's not leaving Ala till we are done paying him.

This wouldn’t surprise me if it were true. I honestly believe Botch intentionally sabotaged this program.

I agree in part, but I was talking about a HC job. I have not reviewed his contract with us, but I suspect taking an actual coaching job would potentially end his guaranteed payments, hence the non-coaching paid intern/coffee boy/car washing gig he has with the gumps.

He's had chances to take on the field coaching jobs elsewhere, but refuses to take them because he wants to keep getting every cent from UT that he can. Just makes me hate him that much more and further proves how .uch of a low character POS that he is. But that's fine, he's not our problem anymore.

I think it was Hyams last week that said he was interested in a position at Maryland under Locksley, but questions about him hitting a player (Crowder) came up in the background check and that was pretty much it for that position. There was also another one job opening that Butch was being considered for, but questions surrounding how he handled some Title IX related issues were raised and that took him out of any serious contention. So, it may not be for lack of trying, he might be wanting more time for those incidents to fade from memory; so to speak, before he tries for anything higher profile?

It appears you have a problem with him...

Butch didn't write the contract he signed with UT. I've never been a Butch fan but hoped he succeeded since he was UT's coach, but since UT fired him... meh, deal with it.

This wouldn’t surprise me if it were true. I honestly believe Botch intentionally sabotaged this program.
I totally disagree.

Butch did his best and failed. Seems like it was said he was very upset when he was being fired because he didn’t think it was fair after all the good he had done for UT.

So sure, he probably is working for Alabama for a low salary so that UT has to keep paying him.

I also believe Saban won’t let him around real football stuff due to his abilities.

On the field stuff Butch was too conservative. Off the field and in the locker room is a wild card. “No telling”, seems to be the norm.

Wish he had been an assistant to Saban before he came to us. This will help him and he will be a HC again. No ill will towards him. We knew he was from a small time institution when we hired him.
Was it a small time institution when he arrived, or is that how he left it?

He is sending a message to every AD in the country about his real desire to be a coach.

Dozens of programs have been waiting for this very moment to recklessly overbid for his valuable services.

Butch Jones is the biggest disgrace. The way he's handled getting fired from Tennessee will guarantee that he never sees an SEC or P5 head coaching job again.

Lyle is laughing all the way to the bank.
Honestly, UT is the one that gave him such a stupid buyout.
I would have loved to have been in the room when he found out we were canning him. Did he cry, did he laugh, did he get angry? I guess I will never know...
We know
A11F30F7-0144-4A15-9B52-29FB69962C21.gif

Jones is screwing himself. The longer he waits to take a real coaching job the harder it will be for him to find one.

VN Store

Back