Butch Jones got a promotion

Why? Why not just not worry about him if you think he's a bad coach? Why wouldn't it be ok if he improved and became a good coach? If he's bad and goes somewhere else to head coach, wouldn't you want to play that team?

Seems that you are the one worried about him. Not me.

Oh that’s the beauty of it. We’re still going to be paying him even after this promotion

Says all it needs to say about the character of both Jones and Saban. No way I’d pull a stunt like that if I were an already successful head coach. Hopefully the season of reaping is at hand. Time will tell.

I wish someone would ask Saban during an interview how it feels to be taking part in a scheme to defraud a public university. When he says whaaaaa answer with

You know, the whole knowingly employing a coach and using a loop hole to get a state funded school to foot the bill for you.
The only thing more ridiculous is Congress getting salary and benefits for life. What American worker who actually works gets that . They should have a 401K to participate in like everyone else. I bet a Tennessee Farmer would even like to have that option. Coaches getting paid for failing. Who came up with these standards. Once heard a great man quote face value prices and finish with " Pay these prices and pay no more".

I feel sorry for Butch in one way...he’s going to look back at these years (years he doesn’t have to waste) and regret trading his passion for coaching for $$$ out of spite.

I truly believe the hate has a hold of him.

Just let it go. Go find a job you love doing and love your family. Hanging on to so much hate for UT will destroy him.

I don’t know, he’s still getting paid by us to be in a low stress job. He’s probably content.

just dont understand,,why would you even respond?..just dumb
It ain't rocket surgery.

I couldn't care less about "what Butch is doing now", but its still fun to post " who cares" and watch people that do care get triggered and see if a 1 star thread can turn into a 5 star thread.

Reactions: J-P
I'm sure his promotion was in title only. Probably still banking $39,000/year and collecting his 8 mil. I have noticed Bama's regression since he's been there.

F06bPD.gif
Dwight was literally the first thing to pop into my mind when I saw this.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Oh that’s the beauty of it. We’re still going to be paying him even after this promotion

Says all it needs to say about the character of both Jones and Saban. No way I’d pull a stunt like that if I were an already successful head coach. Hopefully the season of reaping is at hand. Time will tell.

I wish someone would ask Saban during an interview how it feels to be taking part in a scheme to defraud a public university. When he says whaaaaa answer with

You know, the whole knowingly employing a coach and using a loop hole to get a state funded school to foot the bill for you.
It’s the leadership for UT at the time that is to blame. Don’t get into terrible contracts and you don’t have to worry about loopholes.

Jones will have this follow him for the rest of his career. If I'm an AD looking at the risk he represents as a coordinator OR HC plus this behavior... I pass. EVERYTHING that Jones is currently doing says bad things about him. I know he'll try to sell that he was essentially taking a "sabbatical" to learn under a master but I wouldn't buy it. He would have been better off taking the HC job at EKU than what he's done IMO.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Why would he go through the stress and rigors of being a head coach immediately when he can coast at Bama, learn from Saban (much needed), and collect a giant pay check? We are the idiots that gave him such a huge buy out. He is only doing what a lot of us would do if in his shoes. If I were his advisor this is exactly what I’d tell him to do. Forget about him, we have a coach

Wish he had been an assistant to Saban before he came to us. This will help him and he will be a HC again. No ill will towards him. We knew he was from a small time institution when we hired him.

I would disagree. I think this is a bad look for him and he has the Title 9 baggage to contend with in any interviews for a HC job. I think he would have a shot at a non P5 school down the road but I believe he thinks he's too good for that. Therefore, I don't think he lands anywhere as a HC.

So i guess now he fetches Nicky's car after practice and goes on gas station runs for the entire group during coaches meetings

Butch Jones has been at Bama for two years. The first year they got smoked by Clemson in the national championship game. The second year they didn't even win their own division. I hope they keep him indefinitely. He'll be off UT's dime eventually. Until then it seems to be money well spent.

Would you feel better if he were coaching wide receivers at Marshall for and extra $50K a year?

This is all on Tennessee. They offered the contract, and he signed it. It is not fraud.

Lyle is laughing all the way to the bank.
Honestly, UT is the one that gave him such a stupid buyout.
I would have loved to have been in the room when he found out we were canning him. Did he cry, did he laugh, did he get angry? I guess I will never know...

Reactions: T_Vol376
He no longer an associate. He is now assistant to the manager....

I think that is a large part of Saban's motivation. He enjoys having what was supposed to be one of his rivals become his lackey. The one that looks bad on is Butch, that he is willing to swallow all semblance of pride just so he can be in the presence of the game. If he can still be paid head coach wages, so much the better.

Last edited:
Jones will have this follow him for the rest of his career. If I'm an AD looking at the risk he represents as a coordinator OR HC plus this behavior... I pass. EVERYTHING that Jones is currently doing says bad things about him. I know he'll try to sell that he was essentially taking a "sabbatical" to learn under a master but I wouldn't buy it. He would have been better off taking the HC job at EKU than what he's done IMO.

I doubt this would even enter into discussions when it comes to his next coaching job. This is something a lot of UT fans line to obsess about, but probably wouldn’t even register on anyone else’s radar. At worst, they just wouldn’t give him the same buyout terms. It’s Tennessee’s own dumb fault for structuring it that way, Butch is just taking advantage of the situation. I mean, we did fire him, so it’s not like he’s gonna feel sorry for us paying him like we said we would in the contract.

I doubt this would even enter into discussions when it comes to his next coaching job. This is something a lot of UT fans line to obsess about, but probably wouldn’t even register on anyone else’s radar. At worst, they just wouldn’t give him the same buyout terms. It’s Tennessee’s own dumb fault for structuring it that way, Butch is just taking advantage of the situation. I mean, we did fire him, so it’s not like he’s gonna feel sorry for us paying him like we said we would in the contract.
I hire people. Something that indicates vindictiveness or taking advantage of a previous employer would influence my perception of a candidate pretty heavily. I've actually passed people over for it.

Reactions: T_Vol376

VN Store

Back