Butch Jones discusses his future

I agree with all of the comments that accurately describe this POS as what he is, was and always will be.

Reactions: Smokey X
For awhile I was giving Butch the benefit of the doubt when it came to going down to Tuscaloosa and going through fired coaches camp like so many of the others. That’s definitely over with now, if not way before now. It’s almost comical what this has turned into. He is either one vindictive SOB or nobody wants him. Or a combination of the two.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
For awhile I was giving Butch the benefit of the doubt when it came to going down to Tuscaloosa and going through fired coaches camp like so many of the others. That’s definitely over with now, if not way before now. It’s almost comical what this has turned into. He is either one vindictive SOB or nobody wants him. Or a combination of the two.
He almost certainly could land a weak P5 or G5 coordinator job, perhaps a G5 HC job if he wanted it. I think Tennessee fans overestimate the level of stink that is on him because he was our coach. He ended up being terrible here, but the dude does have a history of winning at the G5 level.

For UT's sake, I hope they've gotten good legal counsel regarding Butch's buyout, meaning lawyers have advised them that if they stopped paying Butch's buyout he'd likely win if he sued them. If they have a good case to be made that he's not engaging in a good-faith effort to secure comparable employment to mitigate the buyout, then his ass should be sued.

He almost certainly could land a weak P5 or G5 coordinator job, perhaps a G5 HC job if he wanted it. I think Tennessee fans overestimate the level of stink that is on him because he was our coach. He ended up being terrible here, but the dude does have a history of winning at the G5 level.

For UT's sake, I hope they've gotten good legal counsel regarding Butch's buyout, meaning lawyers have advised them that if they stopped paying Butch's buyout he'd likely win if he sued them. If they have a good case to be made that he's not engaging in a good-faith effort to secure comparable employment to mitigate the buyout, then his ass should be sued.

I’m just trying to figure out what else people know on him that most don’t know. Yes, there are things people have said about him that paint him in a bad light other than just being a mediocre to bad coach. I think I’ve just kind of been surprised by the fact that from an ethical standpoint he turned out to be the person some say that he is .

I’m just trying to figure out what else people know on him that most don’t know. Yes, there are things people have said about him that paint him in a bad light other than just being a mediocre to bad coach. I think I’ve just kind of been surprised by the fact that from an ethical standpoint he turned out to be the person some say that he is .
I think most of it has to do with him lying, whether it be about Shy Tuttle's injury, or to players about playing time, etc. A lot of the supposed things he lied about seem like speculation, like what he supposedly told players.

If you're talking other than performance of the team on the field, the biggest thing I have against the guy was the soundbite at 2017 SEC Media days that the 2016 season "wasn't a disappointment" and the comment that the 2015 and 2016 seasons were "some of the best of the last 20 years."

I think most of it has to do with him lying, whether it be about Shy Tuttle's injury, or to players about playing time, etc. A lot of the supposed things he lied about seem like speculation, like what he supposedly told players.

If you're talking other than performance of the team on the field, the biggest thing I have against the guy was the soundbite at 2017 SEC Media days that the 2016 season "wasn't a disappointment" and the comment that the 2015 and 2016 seasons were "some of the best of the last 20 years."

I had forgotten some of those cringe worthy sound bites, probably because there were so many. Those comments about 2015 and 2016 are Butch Jones in a nutshell. Completely spinning the fact that he failed with that roster and finding a way to accept it. It still infuriates me how many games were lost because of his ineptitude. I really think I’m more upset about 2015 than I am 2016. We were a better team in 2015 than 2016 IMO. Should’ve beaten OU, should’ve beaten UF, never should’ve lost to Arkansas and we had a chance to beat Bama on the road. Then the 2016 season...give me an F’ing break. We looked pedestrian from the moment we got started versus App.

I had forgotten some of those cringe worthy sound bites, probably because there were so many. Those comments about 2015 and 2016 are Butch Jones in a nutshell. Completely spinning the fact that he failed with that roster and finding a way to accept it. It still infuriates me how many games were lost because of his ineptitude. I really think I’m more upset about 2015 than I am 2016. We were a better team in 2015 than 2016 IMO. Should’ve beaten OU, should’ve beaten UF, never should’ve lost to Arkansas and we had a chance to beat Bama on the road. Then the 2016 season...give me an F’ing break. We looked pedestrian from the moment we got started versus App.
The longer time goes on, the more I wonder if Butch really genuinely thought he did a good job here and wasn't spinning. You have to consider his background as a coach and where he came from. The highest profile job he had was HC at Cincinnati and he had exactly zilch P5 experience. I think he knew that football was a big deal at Tennessee when he arrived; it doesn't take a genius to see Neyland Stadium and figure that, but I don't think he connected the dots that football being a big deal at a school meant that expectations were also really high. If he was spinning, I think he would have dropped the cliches and rah-rah stuff after gauging the negative fan reaction, but he continued right on with it, right up until he was fired.

The comment about 2015 and 2016 being some of the best seasons in the last 20 years was just an objectively false statement, but it gave insight on what he considered a great season. He either didn't know that within the preceding 20 years Tennessee had had seasons where they won a national title, SEC titles, division titles, or seasons where they didn't win any hardware but won more games or finished with a higher ranking. Or maybe he considered the job he had done in 2015 and 2016 to be on par with those types of seasons because of the program he inherited. Regardless, I truly doubt he had any idea what people actually expected here, and how big of a deal football is.

Fired Coaches Camp. He is the only one who can’t seem to graduate.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
It's crazy to me how we started 11 different oline combos in 2016.

And the TAMU game seemed like we lost a player every series to injury.

Had hurd not given up we beat scar. And even with the team giving up by Vandy we probably would have won sans injuries. We were that talented.

It's crazy to me how we started 11 different oline combos in 2016.

And the TAMU game seemed like we lost a player every series to injury.

Had hurd not given up we beat scar. And even with the team giving up by Vandy we probably would have won sans injuries. We were that talented.

I agree we were that talented and we were experienced. I think that’s what was so frustrating. We should’ve lost to App State, we were down big to Florida, it took a miracle to beat UGA with a freshman QB, we started slow vs aTm and lost in 2 OT once we figured how good Kamara was, by the time we played Bama there was nothing left in the tank. The losses to USCjr and Vandy were completely unacceptable.

Those teams while being hit by the injury bug, debatable whose fault that may be, were not ready to play from the get go. I feel like we were down 2 scores in almost every game and then someone told Butch to let Dobbs play backyard football and we would make a run.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I'd say you are probably right.

I agree we were that talented and we were experienced. I think that’s what was so frustrating. We should’ve lost to App State, we were down big to Florida, it took a miracle to beat UGA with a freshman QB, we started slow vs aTm and lost in 2 OT once we figured how good Kamara was, by the time we played Bama there was nothing left in the tank. The losses to USCjr and Vandy were completely unacceptable.

Those teams while being hit by the injury bug, debatable whose fault that may be, were not ready to play from the get go. I feel like we were down 2 scores in almost every game and then someone told Butch to let Dobbs play backyard football and we would make a run.
Yeah it was an interesting year to say the least. I remember telling people to not turn off our games early.

VN Store

Back