Building a house: what are your must have or want to have items?

Rasputin_Vol

Brooks Robinson is not black.
Concrete dome with full basement connected by tube to concrete dome detached garage. Half buried into a hill at higher than surrounding elevations. Geothermal climate plus strategically placed fans to aid circulation, ducting, and electric heat pump. Wood burning fireplace with built in forced air system integrate into ducting. Solar panel exterior with advanced power storage and two-way meter to grid. Fiber optic cabling. Underground potable water storage. Ballistic windows that can withstand impacts with objects propelled by hurricane force or tornadic winds. Indoor-outdoor integrated living area with dual kitchens. Master suit with huge tub for two. Gray water system for garden & landscaping. Guest rooms with shared bath, extra toilet (all with bidet capability). Outdoor shower. Great room living area. Wine and root cellars partitioned in basement. There’s more, but I gotta go to sleep.
$750,000?

utvolpj

Scepticle Mod
Staff member
Stem walls are up and ready to fill with dirt. May be poured this week but definitely by next. Then we can start seeing some real progress

Tin Man

Dirt's Childhood Playmate
Actually, I got the fundamental concept - concrete dome(s) with ballistic windows - from a millionaire in Florida. Having lost two expensive homes to hurricanes in quick succession, he built a monstrous concrete dome on his desirable ocean front property. His was the size of a hockey arena and cost millions. I've more modest proportions in mind. If I'm thinking ideal house, I'm not counting costs until I'm actually inclined to begin a project. Then, whatever is realized will be what I can afford.

tbh

Heh...you said Member
Actually, I got the fundamental concept - concrete dome(s) with ballistic windows - from a millionaire in Florida. Having lost two expensive homes to hurricanes in quick succession, he built a monstrous concrete dome on his desirable ocean front property. His was the size of a hockey arena and cost millions. I've more modest proportions in mind. If I'm thinking ideal house, I'm not counting costs until I'm actually inclined to begin a project. Then, whatever is realized will be what I can afford.
This 'hurricane-proof' house, on Sullivan's Island, SC, is pretty neat. I believe it's called "Eye of the Storm"...seems fitting!

1617721014674.jpeg

VN Store

Sponsors