Buc-ee's

Stopped at the location in Calhoun, GA, twice and I don't understand the fascination people have with the place.

The brisket sandwich tasted like that bbq in the tub that you get at the store and throw in the microwave.
I bet you think Jack In The Box is gourmet food

Stopped at the location in Calhoun, GA, twice and I don't understand the fascination people have with the place.

The brisket sandwich tasted like that bbq in the tub that you get at the store and throw in the microwave.

It is a giant place that has a bunch of $hit for sale even more than its competitors. The fascination level is right up there similar to an evening stroll through Sam's club.

Reactions: Pepe_Silvia
If anyone visits soon can you check to see if they have Buc-ee's Crossville shirts in and what color they are?
The Buc-ee's Crossville shirt is rust (purchased yesterday) and Calhoun's (purchased in March) is baby blue. 20220702_162043.jpg
Does each location have it's own color?

Texas cheese steak burrito > chopped brisket sandwich

Last edited:
Stopped at my first in Leeds Alabama. Store wasnt too impressive, choices were limited outside of Buccees branded stuff. Only Coke products, no Gatorade or DP even.

Jerky is really good though, will go back for that.

Stores seem to have their own colors. Not sure if they rotate or not as time goes on. Richmond, KY is a blue shirt. I can't imagine they are all unique.

I usually buy the seasonal shirts if they are decent looking. Mardi Gras, Halloween, Xmas, etc.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
Crossville is so small I'm not sure why they chose to build there.

Crossville is so small I'm not sure why they chose to build there.

It’s a travel center, I’m not certain that being close to a major metropolitan area is important for them. Are you viewing this from a staffing standpoint?

None of the buccees I’ve been to are in big cities now that I think of it.

There’s a much broader problem here than Bucee’s. Barbecue varies around the country, but universally it he idea is to make a poor cut of meat palatable. Once you account for style, good barbecue is about all equally good. People treat it as if it’s something else entirely. When people say “I’m going to some place what’s a unique local restaurant” I always take note of the people suggesting barbecue restaurants. These people simply eat. They don’t taste, they just eat.

There’s a much broader problem here than Bucee’s. Barbecue varies around the country, but universally it he idea is to make a poor cut of meat palatable. Once you account for style, good barbecue is about all equally good. People treat it as if it’s something else entirely. When people say “I’m going to some place what’s a unique local restaurant” I always take note of the people suggesting barbecue restaurants. These people simply eat. They don’t taste, they just eat.

I’m not sure where or what you’re eating.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman

There is definitely variation in quality among bbq restaurants. Nobody could ever convince me that the "bbq" at bucees is as good as bbq anywhere else.

There is definitely variation in quality among bbq restaurants. Nobody could ever convince me that the "bbq" at bucees is as good as bbq anywhere else.

The brisket at Buc-ee's is fine. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of places in Texas where it is better...

Breaking news: food from a gas station isn’t as good as food from a restaurant

No ****. But you wouldn't know that from reading some of the posts in this thread about bucees brisket sandwich. My post that you quoted was directly in response to somebody claiming that bbq is the same, no matter where it comes from.

Reactions: cardvolfan
It’s a travel center, I’m not certain that being close to a major metropolitan area is important for them. Are you viewing this from a staffing standpoint?

None of the buccees I’ve been to are in big cities now that I think of it.

Crossville sets on I40 and also US127.

Interstates or other major road systems is what they mostly look for based on their locations.

The brisket at Buc-ee's is fine. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of places in Texas where it is better...
That's probably true however if I'm not mistaken I saw a national news show do a documentary on buccees which was founded in Texas. They hired one of the country's top Texas BBQ pitmasters to come up with their recipe they use at all locations.

That's probably true however if I'm not mistaken I saw a national news show do a documentary on buccees which was founded in Texas. They hired one of the country's top Texas BBQ pitmasters to come up with their recipe they use at all locations.

Yes, Buc-ee's is Texas based

Buc-ee's has a good, very reasonably priced brisket sandwich. It's better than many places that attempt to sell brisket outside of Texas. But yes, there's a difference in having an experienced pitmaster at a restaurant versus someone following a recipe 1,000 miles away.

Had the chicken sandwich the other day… it might be my new favorite.

Reactions: vader

VN Store

Back