BTO’s South Carolina postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. Another workmanlike performance, wasn’t the cleanest of games by any stretch but it’s another conference win and you don’t take those for granted. At time when we get up 15+ and look like we are going to run away we almost look as if we get bored and lose guys defensively and get sloppy offensively, that’s not a great quality but what does it look like if they play a full 40?

2. That’s it, Jordan Bowden has done it enough lately and consistently that I’m fully declaring he has arrived, I’m not hoping that’s what we get anymore I’m expecting it. I’m also going to say he’s the next guy that starts to get the national attention, it may not be tomorrow, it may not be next month, it might be next year...but the recognition is going to start coming, the Josh Richardson comparison is pretty accurate and he will play in the NBA imo.

3. We outrebounded SC by 8, Barnes threatened the guys with about 14 minutes left and from that point on they went about rebounding at a different level...the good news is that obviously the ability is there, the hard part now is getting them to do that from the tip and for a full 40 minutes. This team likely won’t ever become a great rebounding team but just being average on both ends will go a long way.

4. South Carolina went 14/23 from deep, 61%, and still lost by double digits...I’mnot sure if that’s more impressive by SC or Tennessee to be able to win handily while allowing an opponent to absolutely shoot the lights out from deep. At this point too many team are having success from 3 to call it a coincidence, we are shutting down the paint and daring teams to essentially hit 15+ three’s, it’s a bold strategy and sometimes frustrating, but if it keeps resulting in wins then it’s all good.

5. This team is ELITE offensively, they are pretty much neck and neck with Gonzaga for best offense in the country...you look at tonight and GW gives you 8pts, but he adds in 9rbds and 7asts. Alexander gives you 10pts, Bowden 16pts, Schofield 21pts, there is simply no way you can scout to shut that many guys down, 50%fg 45%ft 100%ft, 22ast to 10to’s, good luck...what scares me come March is we hear about teams having an off night and shots not falling, this team doesn’t ONLY rely on their offense, but I would like to see just a touch more consistency defensively.

6. Alright well here we are, it seems like about 5-6 weeks ago I started looking ahead to 2/16/19 and threw out the possibility of heading to Rupp at 23-1(11-0), and that is exactly where things stand. This isn’t a must win by any means for Tennessee, to me I’m viewing this as a barometer game for Tennessee, they haven’t played a ranked team since Gonzaga over 2 months ago...so where do we stand? Are we legitimately #1? More like Top 5? Can the defense play a full 40 minutes when it needs to, can this offense travel to a hostile environment against a team full of athletes? In my opinion this game will answer a lot of questions, I haven’t been this excited for a game in a really long time and it’s awesome knowing that all of the country will be talking about this game and looking forward to it; reminds me of the Memphis game that was 1 vs. 2, I’ll take a similar result.

GBO!!!

Bored with winning I believe was what Grant said was the present problem. And the CHALLENGE comes at the perfect time. I'm expecting a focused bunch of guys to walk into Rupp on Saturday. Best offense in the game and focused on D. We'll be hard to beat. Look out Kitties, Boss is comin.

It's like Groundhog Day the movie. Everybody knocks down 3s early like they haven't all year. We pull ahead with a lead that approaches a blow out. The opponent hangs around. TN keeps the lead and runs out the game clock.

Great ball movement. I wish two assists could be given on some of those plays.

Bored with winning I believe was what Grant said was the present problem. And the CHALLENGE comes at the perfect time. I'm expecting a focused bunch of guys to walk into Rupp on Saturday. Best offense in the game and focused on D. We'll be hard to beat. Look out Kitties, Boss is comin.

I agree this team looks bored. It has become to "easy" to win and they are coasting. I expect a loss to either KY or LSU.

The O rebounding was much better tonight, 4 above their average.......and Tennessee shot the ball really well. Early on the O rebounding looked rough, however they tightened it up a bit later. This team looks good.......they can win every which way........even loose.

I agree this team looks bored. It has become to "easy" to win and they are coasting. I expect a loss to either KY or LSU.

I can see Tennessee losing to KY at KY...........but I don't expect it. However to go to KY, to LSU and to Aub and not come out with a loss would be more than tough.........so yea I expect one is coming.

Reactions: Barnes'Barn
Not a big gripe, but more an observation.
It seems that more and more the refs are allowing the opponents to play rougher with our big men down low while not allowing similar treatment on the other side. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seemed there was several instances when Grant or Kyle or Fulk, etc. would get hammered and no call, but SC would get the call immediately after with far less contact from TN.

I expect this team to be dialed in Saturday.

It seems that more and more the refs are allowing the opponents to play rougher with our big men down low while not allowing similar treatment on the other side. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seemed there was several instances when Grant or Kyle or Fulk, etc. would get hammered and no call, but SC would get the call immediately after with far less contact from TN.

I have not re-watched the game so you could be right. However there was not a lot of fouls called at all, and they were pretty even. just my opinion: It is better for Tennessee, if ref's "let them play", and don't call a tight game.

That was my observation as well. Almost as if the refs are trying to keep the game within reach for the Vols' victims.

1. Another workmanlike performance, wasn’t the cleanest of games by any stretch but it’s another conference win and you don’t take those for granted. At time when we get up 15+ and look like we are going to run away we almost look as if we get bored and lose guys defensively and get sloppy offensively, that’s not a great quality but what does it look like if they play a full 40?

2. That’s it, Jordan Bowden has done it enough lately and consistently that I’m fully declaring he has arrived, I’m not hoping that’s what we get anymore I’m expecting it. I’m also going to say he’s the next guy that starts to get the national attention, it may not be tomorrow, it may not be next month, it might be next year...but the recognition is going to start coming, the Josh Richardson comparison is pretty accurate and he will play in the NBA imo.

3. We outrebounded SC by 8, Barnes threatened the guys with about 14 minutes left and from that point on they went about rebounding at a different level...the good news is that obviously the ability is there, the hard part now is getting them to do that from the tip and for a full 40 minutes. This team likely won’t ever become a great rebounding team but just being average on both ends will go a long way.

4. South Carolina went 14/23 from deep, 61%, and still lost by double digits...I’mnot sure if that’s more impressive by SC or Tennessee to be able to win handily while allowing an opponent to absolutely shoot the lights out from deep. At this point too many team are having success from 3 to call it a coincidence, we are shutting down the paint and daring teams to essentially hit 15+ three’s, it’s a bold strategy and sometimes frustrating, but if it keeps resulting in wins then it’s all good.

5. This team is ELITE offensively, they are pretty much neck and neck with Gonzaga for best offense in the country...you look at tonight and GW gives you 8pts, but he adds in 9rbds and 7asts. Alexander gives you 10pts, Bowden 16pts, Schofield 21pts, there is simply no way you can scout to shut that many guys down, 50%fg 45%ft 100%ft, 22ast to 10to’s, good luck...what scares me come March is we hear about teams having an off night and shots not falling, this team doesn’t ONLY rely on their offense, but I would like to see just a touch more consistency defensively.

6. Alright well here we are, it seems like about 5-6 weeks ago I started looking ahead to 2/16/19 and threw out the possibility of heading to Rupp at 23-1(11-0), and that is exactly where things stand. This isn’t a must win by any means for Tennessee, to me I’m viewing this as a barometer game for Tennessee, they haven’t played a ranked team since Gonzaga over 2 months ago...so where do we stand? Are we legitimately #1? More like Top 5? Can the defense play a full 40 minutes when it needs to, can this offense travel to a hostile environment against a team full of athletes? In my opinion this game will answer a lot of questions, I haven’t been this excited for a game in a really long time and it’s awesome knowing that all of the country will be talking about this game and looking forward to it; reminds me of the Memphis game that was 1 vs. 2, I’ll take a similar result.

GBO!!!
Great write up as always!! We need to enjoy every game and dribble cause this team is special!!! I hope we can always put a good team on hardwood, but this team is something else!!!! GBO and let's roll on to KY!!!!

Reactions: minorvol and TC 83
Great write up as usual, @bleedingTNorange.

This is a big game Saturday. A win over Kentucky can do a lot of good
for Tennessee both in conference and nationally. Like some have said,
they may get on their home court with the plan to make Tennessee pay for their
(Kentucky's) recent loss to LSU, but I would love the Vols to prove that Tennessee's
not going to lose to another team that begins with the letter K. Plus, another impressive win
over a highly ranked team (Top 5), along with the earlier win over Gonzaga on the record (who beat Coach K's
team in blue) can lend nearly indisputable support for the claim that Tennessee is as good as the current National ranking
already declares this team is outright and provide a big confidence boost only weeks before heading into
March when competition heats up like no time before it.

I love that Tennessee is a true team and plays as a team better than any other team. That provides a dimension
younger teams this season could have trouble matching without the same amount of experience playing together.
Every player on the team is worthy of praise for the dedication as well as Coach Barnes and Staff. I'm grateful to
be alive in this era to witness it unfold. I feel really good about what the outcome of a full forty minutes of hard-nosed,
Coach Rick Barnes-style Tennessee defense could look like Saturday in Kentucky against a less experienced team.

Go Vols! Beat Kentucky!

I didn't get to watch it due to church, but will watch on replay. Reads like another solid win. On a side note I did turn on the Vandy Vs Fla game and during the entire halftime show the only thing mentioned was flipping Duke. Not a mention of the #1 team's game or the fact we've won 19 in a row. I have come to expect nothing less from the homers at the Blue Devil Sports Network aka ESPN.

I can see Tennessee losing to KY at KY...........but I don't expect it. However to go to KY, to LSU and to Aub and not come out with a loss would be more than tough.........so yea I expect one is coming.
After watching Auburn tonight; I've lost confidence in them. I think we'll take care of business down there.

VN Store

Back