BTO’s South Carolina postgame report

Most teams can’t shoot 60% from three point range in warm ups. All those 3’s weren’t wide open attempts. SC was just crazy hot from long range and may not see that percentage again this season- it happens in basketball

Reactions: Volunteer08
They let both teams play. I think your condition is called orange tinted glasses. Fouls were even.

The simple fact that fouls are called evenly doesn’t mean fouls were missed and not called “evenly.” I didn’t pay close enough attention last night, but I do recall that Silva was officiated differently in Columbia than our guys were.

Bone continues to look off and I mentioned late season fatigue.

10pts 6rbd 5ast 3/4 from 2pt which is his strength...my only guess is you’re referring to his 4to’s but 2 of those at least weren’t really his fault, guys cut from their spots as he made the pass. His burst and control looked just the same to me and Dykes postgame continued to say he’s among the best in the country.

Reactions: DC_Vol
Good observation. Have also noticed on defense: Other team starts a run, Barnes screams at one of our guys, leaders go into a huddle, viola - 3 stops in a row and a 14-2 run of our own to get back to a double digit lead. So much maturity and BB IQ on the floor. don't think I can remember a team that answers like this one does.

This is what I’m looking forward to most on Saturday, maybe I’m way off base but it just appears to me it’s almost too easy at times and some guys get bored and start to lose focus (understandably so). They’ll go in a TO or the game will threaten getting to single digits and boom, we make a run and it’s lights out...against stiffer competition I don’t think they’ll “get bored” or “lose that focus”, at least I hope not.

This is what I’m looking forward to most on Saturday, maybe I’m way off base but it just appears to me it’s almost too easy at times and some guys get bored and start to lose focus (understandably so). They’ll go in a TO or the game will threaten getting to single digits and boom, we make a run and it’s lights out...against stiffer competition I don’t think they’ll “get bored” or “lose that focus”, at least I hope not.
Exactamondo. couldn't have said it better.

thanks BTO...to me the game was over at about the 12 minute mark in the 1st half when ol' Lefty Johnson made the 4 point play...no more ties or trailing and we were off and running...:D

GO VOLS...BEAT THE KITTY KATS AND RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

5. This team is ELITE offensively, they are pretty much neck and neck with Gonzaga for best offense in the country...you look at tonight and GW gives you 8pts, but he adds in 9rbds and 7asts. Alexander gives you 10pts, Bowden 16pts, Schofield 21pts, there is simply no way you can scout to shut that many guys down, 50%fg 45%ft 100%ft, 22ast to 10to’s, good luck...what scares me come March is we hear about teams having an off night and shots not falling, this team doesn’t ONLY rely on their offense, but I would like to see just a touch more consistency defensively.
During the game yesterday one of the announcers made a really good point about this. Usually when a good team gets caught on an off-night, it's not necessarily due to shots not falling, but panicking into bad shot selection. With Barnes' coaching and the combination of skill / basketball IQ up and down this lineup that's something that I haven't seen happen at all aside from the Kansas game (seemed like Turner was still a bit jittery then.)

Really think we're ideally built to make a strong run.

During the game yesterday one of the announcers made a really good point about this. Usually when a good team gets caught on an off-night, it's not necessarily due to shots not falling, but panicking into bad shot selection. With Barnes' coaching and the combination of skill / basketball IQ up and down this lineup that's something that I haven't seen happen at all aside from the Kansas game (seemed like Turner was still a bit jittery then.)

Very good point...Bowden took somewhat of a heat check shot after he had hit a couple in a row, it was a quick shot and not one you usually see from us, but I didn’t mind it much as we’ve begged Bowden to be more aggressive, however Barnes immediately chewed his ass lol.

I saw Bowden showing up on his first mock draft the other day. They have him going in the 2nd round of the 2020 draft...pretty much the same spot JRich was drafted.

i still remember Barnes' rant after the Kansas loss. We lost because our guards refuse to drive the ball. I think he got his point across. I also remember us laughing at one of the analysts that described Bowden as a glass crasher. This team's offense has really evolved since that loss. We can drive. We can shoot the 15 foot jumper and in. We can shoot the trey and we can beat u up in the paint. pressure is on the opponent to figure out how to stop us. Nice for a change.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I saw Bowden showing up on his first mock draft the other day. They have him going in the 2nd round of the 2020 draft...pretty much the same spot JRich was drafted.

Hadn’t seen that but no surprise at all, check out his conference play numbers...

Bowden:
27.6mpg 15.4ppg 3.2rpg 56%fg 65%2ptfg 44%3ptfg 90%ft

Richardson (senior):
36.3mpg 16ppg 4.5rpg 46%fg 51%2ptfg 36%3ptfg 80%ft

Last edited:
Hadn’t seen that but no surprise at all, check out his conference play numbers...

Bowden:
27.6mpg 15.4ppg 3.2rpg 56%fg 65%2ptfg
44%3ptfg 90%ft

Richardson (senior):
36.3mpg 16ppg 4.5rpg 46%fg 51%2ptfg 36%3ptfg 80%ft
Scary thing for our opponents. If we don't win the Natty this year most of these guys will be back. How much better will they be as seniors?

Scary thing for our opponents. If we don't win the Natty this year most of these guys will be back. How much better will they be as seniors?

You never know how a team is going to gel, but on paper next years team definitely could be better.

You lose Admiral but replace that with bigger roles for Turner and Bowden, also bigger roles for Pons and/or Johnson and then the addition of Josiah James as well, hard to see us taking a step back there.

We lose Kyle and that’s one there’s not necessarily a glaring replacement, we have Burns who I have high expectations for but will be new out there. Increased roles for Walker and Fulk and hopefully development, the game changer is if there’s an opening do we land Walker Kessler? Purdue a graduate transfer big? Go smaller more often with GW at the 5 allowing Bone/Turner, Bowden/James/Pons majority of minutes 1-4?

Reactions: calban
I really think a lot of the defense is laziness and over selling on penetration. It takes a team shooting 60+% from 3 line to even stay within 10-12 of us. I think our defense will look a lot better against a team like UK where the threat will be there all night.

I honestly didnt believe we'd make it this far without at least one slip in conference play. This team has really impressed in the way they consistently control and dominate other teams in the league. USCjr isn't a terrible team and they play great defense, but we are unstoppable right now. I've seen way toooo many pick screen, turn-around 15 footers drop this season to think everyone will be off enough for our offense to shutdown. Bowden, Bone, and to some extent Schofield consistently drop those shots that seem impossible to defend.

Reactions: Vols All Day
You never know how a team is going to gel, but on paper next years team definitely could be better.

You lose Admiral but replace that with bigger roles for Turner and Bowden, also bigger roles for Pons and/or Johnson and then the addition of Josiah James as well, hard to see us taking a step back there.

We lose Kyle and that’s one there’s not necessarily a glaring replacement, we have Burns who I have high expectations for but will be new out there. Increased roles for Walker and Fulk and hopefully development, the game changer is if there’s an opening do we land Walker Kessler? Purdue a graduate transfer big? Go smaller more often with GW at the 5 allowing Bone/Turner, Bowden/James/Pons majority of minutes 1-4?
If we don't lose anyone prematurely to the NBA, I think we take a very small step back. I think we have the personnel to fill in AS and Kyle, but it's hard to imagine them grooving as well as the current team. I would think we'd be somewhere between '18 and '19 with the potential for 3x SEC champs.

If we don't lose anyone prematurely to the NBA, I think we take a very small step back. I think we have the personnel to fill in AS and Kyle, but it's hard to imagine them grooving as well as the current team. I would think we'd be somewhere between '18 and '19 with the potential for 3x SEC champs.
Yea it’s gonne be pretty much impossible to duplicate a 23-1 start and assuming a 26-4 or 27-3 type season...could happen but those seasons are pretty rare, even for a blue blood, never mind back to back.

Peanut Butter, Jelly, two slices of bread (Bone/Bowden) Toasted (Turner) and ??? Avocado, Anchovies, Arugula, or A cold glass of milk?
I would think Bone would be the bread that holds the PB and J together and Bowden /turner are the marshmallow cream and sprinkles that add the pizzaz. Anyway you slice it , it's a great sandwich.

10pts 6rbd 5ast 3/4 from 2pt which is his strength...my only guess is you’re referring to his 4to’s but 2 of those at least weren’t really his fault, guys cut from their spots as he made the pass. His burst and control looked just the same to me and Dykes postgame continued to say he’s among the best in the country.
And his shot looks horrible.

And his shot looks horrible.
Looks the same to me it always has, flat. Like I said he was 3/4 from the field, and 4/4 from the line, so hard to expect much better than that...he’s always been inconsistent from 3 so I don’t put much into him going 0/3 when he was 7/8 from the other areas on the court.

VN Store

Back