BTO’s Ole Miss Postgame Report

1. You never take a conference win for granted, at home or on the road…we just went to Alabama down 2 of our best players and gave them everything they wanted, this league is tough and these coaches know each other, short handed or not…that doesn’t mean it wasn’t ugly or that there’s not room to improve, but you take any conference win in any fashion that you can get them, tonight included.

2. I’ll go positive first…Santiago Vescovi continues to show himself as quite arguably THE GUY on this team. He doesn’t disappear, he might take an ill advised shot or two, but when other guys are playing hot potato and afraid of the moment he is not. Add in that his on ball defense is dramatically improved and he’s looking more and more like a guy that very well might find himself on an All-SEC team at years end. Gutsy effort from him tonight though, 41mins, 17pts 6rbds 5ast, multiple big plays down the stretch.

3. I’ll go another positive, Zakai Zeigler, he was an absolute pest the last 5 minutes and hit a huge 3 as well…his 3pt% has been disappointing to me but the rest of his game has been impressive, that guy does not back down and he was an absolute nuisance to Ole Miss defensively especially when they lost their PG late.

4. Ok to the bad…Fulk looked like $hit, on both ends, which is really disappointing considering how he looked against Zona. Maybe that’s effects from COVID and I get that, but I wish Barnes would have identified it earlier on and made the move to keep him out sooner, he was bad tonight. Chandler also struggled for a large part of the game but came alive late and made some big plays, he’s got to step it up as he’s struggled a bit of late for us.

5. The defense was elite, once again, yet another opponent below 1ppp which ties the program record at 10 straight opponents in the KenPom era…will also boost our overall efficiency number defensively and keep us #2 nationally. On nights like tonight when shots aren’t falling that defense will keep you in a game, it travels on the road and that is a great luxury to have, but it doesn’t mean that everything is fine.

6. The offense was just as equally opposite bad and the defense was good, we continue to shoot really poor from the outside and that just doesn’t make a ton of sense, we’ve got better shooters than the numbers suggest, and of late turnovers haven’t helped those matters at all. The minutes played was a good sign that Barnes is indeed seeing Powell > Bailey, but we’ve got to start shooting better from 3, simple as that, 29% from deep isn’t going to cut it.

7. We won a conference game, we move to 1-1, I preached weeks ago that our start to SEC play was rough…2-3 was expectation and anything better would be gravy, we move to 1-1 and had a real chance at 2-0 even being short handed. There are things to work on for sure and Saturday against LSU won’t be easy at all, Barnes has struggled there and they just beat Kentucky, will be a rowdy crowd and a tough test…LSU is the #1 defensive team in the country and we are #2, theoretically this game could be even uglier than tonight’s, hang on.

GBO!!!
I throw in another positive. JJJ made some shots. Anytime that happens at this point seems like mentioning

1. You never take a conference win for granted, at home or on the road…we just went to Alabama down 2 of our best players and gave them everything they wanted, this league is tough and these coaches know each other, short handed or not…that doesn’t mean it wasn’t ugly or that there’s not room to improve, but you take any conference win in any fashion that you can get them, tonight included.

2. I’ll go positive first…Santiago Vescovi continues to show himself as quite arguably THE GUY on this team. He doesn’t disappear, he might take an ill advised shot or two, but when other guys are playing hot potato and afraid of the moment he is not. Add in that his on ball defense is dramatically improved and he’s looking more and more like a guy that very well might find himself on an All-SEC team at years end. Gutsy effort from him tonight though, 41mins, 17pts 6rbds 5ast, multiple big plays down the stretch.

3. I’ll go another positive, Zakai Zeigler, he was an absolute pest the last 5 minutes and hit a huge 3 as well…his 3pt% has been disappointing to me but the rest of his game has been impressive, that guy does not back down and he was an absolute nuisance to Ole Miss defensively especially when they lost their PG late.

4. Ok to the bad…Fulk looked like $hit, on both ends, which is really disappointing considering how he looked against Zona. Maybe that’s effects from COVID and I get that, but I wish Barnes would have identified it earlier on and made the move to keep him out sooner, he was bad tonight. Chandler also struggled for a large part of the game but came alive late and made some big plays, he’s got to step it up as he’s struggled a bit of late for us.

5. The defense was elite, once again, yet another opponent below 1ppp which ties the program record at 10 straight opponents in the KenPom era…will also boost our overall efficiency number defensively and keep us #2 nationally. On nights like tonight when shots aren’t falling that defense will keep you in a game, it travels on the road and that is a great luxury to have, but it doesn’t mean that everything is fine.

6. The offense was just as equally opposite bad and the defense was good, we continue to shoot really poor from the outside and that just doesn’t make a ton of sense, we’ve got better shooters than the numbers suggest, and of late turnovers haven’t helped those matters at all. The minutes played was a good sign that Barnes is indeed seeing Powell > Bailey, but we’ve got to start shooting better from 3, simple as that, 29% from deep isn’t going to cut it.

7. We won a conference game, we move to 1-1, I preached weeks ago that our start to SEC play was rough…2-3 was expectation and anything better would be gravy, we move to 1-1 and had a real chance at 2-0 even being short handed. There are things to work on for sure and Saturday against LSU won’t be easy at all, Barnes has struggled there and they just beat Kentucky, will be a rowdy crowd and a tough test…LSU is the #1 defensive team in the country and we are #2, theoretically this game could be even uglier than tonight’s, hang on.

GBO!!!
2. He's been great all year. Having Chandler on board has freed him up to play his true game.
3. If he stays all 4 years here, I see him being as beloved as Lofton, Dane, Chism, etc. Plays so dang hard. Love his game.
4. Man Fulkerson is probably the most up and down basketball player we've ever had at UT. Tarzan to Jane real quick. Not sure if it's a mental deal or what, but he definitely fades way too often given his talent.
5. It's actually really impressive what we are doing on the defensive side of the ball given that we are playing small more often than not, not overly athletic at all 5 positions, and don't have a true rim protector.
6. I don't know.... Other than just shooting the ball better, I don't have many great options. Teams are loading the paint on us. Chandler gets no room off of any P&R.

We certainly led the Bama game more than 6 points. Go back and rewatch it.

I went back and looked at play by play. Only one time with 4 minutes left in the first half were we up by 10 points. It lasted 17 seconds as Bama came back with a 3.

The entire second half was essentially a one or two possession game.

Reactions: cardvolfan and jp1
Not sure. Even if he has gone a bit cold from 3 I’m ok w taking open ones. Definitely don’t want guys to lack confidence and aggressiveness. I’m actually not sure what problem Barnes had w his shot at the end of regulation. Given that Ole Miss had like 4 guys already in position and Chandler made a great move to get an open 3 w only a few seconds left I thought that was a good look.

If I’m not mistaken, there was more time left in the clock. I felt like he should have driven in for a higher percentage shot.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Not sure. Even if he has gone a bit cold from 3 I’m ok w taking open ones. Definitely don’t want guys to lack confidence and aggressiveness. I’m actually not sure what problem Barnes had w his shot at the end of regulation. Given that Ole Miss had like 4 guys already in position and Chandler made a great move to get an open 3 w only a few seconds left I thought that was a good look.
My thought on this is that had he driven, he could've gotten by the 1st defender and dragged one or two of the other 3 guys in to him...behind those defenders he had 3 teammates slashing. He had ORN going middle (for a floater) and I believe Santi and ZZ trailing for a dish to an in-rhythm shot attempt. Plenty of time for that. Of course, that's theoretical and a best case scenario. There's also the potential he draws a foul.

I still wasn't all that upset with the 3pt attempt and it appeared that JJJ had his back on that shot in front of Barnes. It didn't seem forced or rushed so I agree with you, good look.

On our outside shooting as a team. This offense preaches passing for that better/higher % look. It's obvious that's what they're taught because there are so many times that a guy is more open than he thinks yet he rotates the ball along the perimeter anyways. I think if they were hunting the shot more with their mindset instead of rotation and making the defense work then we'd hit some more 3s. Our dedication to ball movement is great but our spacing and ball rotation isn't quick enough to be elite and create that open shot by passing alone. If you don't create that space with the 1st rotation pass then we need to realize the best 3 we're going to get is the next pass more times than not, not the 3rd pass when the weakside defender has already realized we are going to the corner with it and recovered.

You can really see the difference between BHH and the other players.

He looks so lifeless on the court where he expects everything to come easy. If you don’t bring energy on defense and on offense, you won’t see the floor.

Uros despite being limited, does give effort on the court and can provide some good minutes.

BHH is a very talented player but talent will only take you so far. That crap won’t work in the pros.

You can really see the difference between BHH and the other players.

He looks so lifeless on the court where he expects everything to come easy. If you don’t bring energy on defense and on offense, you won’t see the floor.

Uros despite being limited, does give effort on the court and can provide some good minutes.

BHH is a very talented player but talent will only take you so far. That crap won’t work in the pros.
Looks like he's having to think at a different level than he's used to. He doesn't have the motor to thrive only on athletic potential. He prided himself as a skilled player in HS/AAU and that hasn't quite carried over because he's having to think more than before.

I believe he'll connect the dots and be a great player in time. Hope he sticks around and doesn't get it in his head that he's being held back by being here. He has a TON of potential.

The main thing is that the team does not seem to be able to shoot it
so true, they couldn't shoot well enough to win in regulation but managed to win in overtime - the announcers on SEC network said it was a bizarre game -
the fact the Vols won with the shooting struggles they had was bizarre fortune!

Last edited:
Fulkerson looked pale and weak like he should still be in bed and drink more water. Chandler looked really rusty and had some very questionable decisions that felt like they all led to transition 3s by Ole Miss.

Vescovi played amazing this game.

Surprisingly, I was actually okay with Plavsic this game and thought he again had a tough rebound or two.

We really need to improve our 3 PT shooting. I think our offensive philosophy would be great if we could actually shoot.

Edit: I should say I give Chandler and Fulk a mulligan for being sick and off so long.

To be expected - -freshman - - AND from Memphis!! This lack of decision making is a product of his b-ball upbringing. There is very little discipline in "Memphis Ball". If you doubt me, just watch "Memphis State" Great athletes, mostly good one on one, very poor decision making, and VERY little TEAM play. (mirror's their head coach) I just wonder how Brown can stand what he is mixed up in.

I’ve said it before, but this team will go as far as chandler takes them. In all of our losses he’s been nonexistent either due to foul trouble or covid. When he’s stayed out of foul trouble, he’s generally played pretty well, but he’s been inconsistent at best against the longer more athletic teams.

We need him to adjust quickly to this level of competition, become more consistent, and play a bit smarter especially early in the game when it comes to foul trouble. I think he can and will do all of these things as the year progresses, so hopefully we’re peaking come March for once.

This offense is is completely different when he’s playing up to his potential.

Well, at least against a short handed mediocre team anyway.
There wasn't a lot Ole Miss had to do about it. We weren't hitting shots, and at some point stopped rotating the ball. But we didn't let down on defense, and eventually came around to better offensive decision making. We put ourselves into a hole, but were able to dig back out.

Combination of Wednesday and a general outlook on the future of the season. Is there any specific observation you disagree with?
I mean, just based on last night, points 1, 2, and 4 all seem off.

While I strongly agree with the perception that Powell has vastly outplayed Bailey, last night wasn't necessarily a great example of it. Powell was timid and settled exclusively for outside shots. He has to make people respect his ability to get to the lane or he won't see open looks that aren't manufactured via ball screens and pick and rolls. That will be a problem since he can't really create his own looks.

JJJ was apparently quiet in leading the team in rebounding, and hit a huge 3 to keep us in the game. Your perception of his ability seems more fixated on his recruiting ranking rather than with what he actually is. 10 pts, 8 rebs, 1 asst, 1 stl, 1 TO and solid defense is a nice night in 35 minutes.

Uros played decent, bit far from his best game as a Vol. Still doesn't play like he's 7 feet tall, and missed an early gimme layup that would have been the difference in regulation.

Fulkerson looked pale and weak like he should still be in bed and drink more water. Chandler looked really rusty and had some very questionable decisions that felt like they all led to transition 3s by Ole Miss.

Vescovi played amazing this game.

Surprisingly, I was actually okay with Plavsic this game and thought he again had a tough rebound or two.

We really need to improve our 3 PT shooting. I think our offensive philosophy would be great if we could actually shoot.

Edit: I should say I give Chandler and Fulk a mulligan for being sick and off so long.

Didn’t Fulky have Covid last year, too, which is why many thought was the reason he lost weight? I know you can get it a 2nd time. Just hope he isn’t having complications.

GBO!!!
Good summary thank you. Seems we just don't work the ball around like we used to with Schofield and Company.

This team has no offensive cohesion, they are not good enough 3 pt shooters to chuck it 25+ times a game. Chandler so far has not stepped up in big games, it may be a confidence thing with him at this point and that is not good for a point guard.

He shot it w 3 seconds on the clock. This is what he saw w 5 seconds. An open 3 is a pretty good look in this scenario.
View attachment 426284
I don’t want to be disagreeable, I just think with his quickness, he could have gone in with that amount of time and drawn a foul or got a layup, I think both are better options for him.
On the bright side, he didn’t shy away from taking the big shot!

The most maddening thing about this team offensively is that in last night's game was saw both the best and worst of this offense. In all of regulation, we saw a putrid offense that would get us bounced early in the SEC Tournament and the NCAA Tournament. But, in overtime, we scored 15 points in 5-minutes, a 60 (!!!) point pace for one half.

What was the difference? We played a lot more confident and were far more aggressive compared to the first 40 minutes where I saw so much indecision and second-guessing of our own abilities. We played with confidence and swagger and urgency in overtime, which begs the question why can't this team just play with that confidence consistently in regulation??

Reactions: berryvol
This team has no offensive cohesion, they are not good enough 3 pt shooters to chuck it 25+ times a game. Chandler so far has not stepped up in big games, it may be a confidence thing with him at this point and that is not good for a point guard.

The most maddening thing about this team offensively is that in last night's game was saw both the best and worst of this offense. In all of regulation, we saw a putrid offense that would get us bounced early in the SEC Tournament and the NCAA Tournament. But, in overtime, we scored 15 points in 5-minutes, a 60 (!!!) point pace for one half.

What was the difference? We played a lot more confident and were far more aggressive compared to the first 40 minutes where I saw so much indecision and second-guessing of our own abilities. We played with confidence and swagger and urgency in overtime, which begs the question why can't this team just play with that confidence consistently in regulation??
My hope/orange glasses outlook, is that this team is very young, and even younger playing together. Any argument that the top rotational guys are: Chandler, Zeigler, Vescovi, Powell, James, ON, Fulk? So out of your Top 7 it’s 2 true freshman, 1 freshman eligibility wise, and then 4 returning players…it’s not UK young, but for Barnes type teams it’s pretty young, so maybe unlike some years where we seem to peak too early this is a team that continues to find its way and peaks at the right time? I don’t think there’s any doubt we can play quite a bit better than what we have seen, especially on the offensive end, so if that’s the case I’ll take any wins we can get which will pay off some selection Sunday and hope we are finding our groove come March.

Reactions: berryvol
KC is not being developed offensively. Seems like his decision making isn’t improving and is becoming more indecisive. I’m not just referencing tonight either. Maybe we win a lot of games playing good defense but we won’t be truly great unless we get at least good offense and especially from a talent like KC, even as a freshman.

Barnes, in his radio post-game interview, noted his frustration with Chandler penetrating deeper than they want.
That's exactly what one would expect from a young but confident player when he's lost confidence in his outside shot.

Does anyone offer transcript of Barnes' postgame radio interviews? So much of what's been questioned or noted on this thread he addressed.

In addition to praise for Vescovi and Ziegler, Barnes had some special praise for ORN that everyone needs to hear. Good things are developing within this team, that should eventually show up in stats and wins.

Reactions: golfballs

VN Store

Back