BTO’s Ole Miss Postgame Report

Virginia won an NC 3 years ago because their focus was playing outstanding defense. Several of the VN board geniuses have been posting from their mom’s basements that defense can’t win games in NCAA basketball. Brilliant! Stay in the Football Forum if great defense can’t be appreciated.

Awesome game BTW. Every possession was huge. TN staff knew that OM was going to milk the clock with their short bench and not attempting to shoot until there were about 5 seconds left on the shot clock. So the TN staff decided to go full court at the end and it was an outstanding move. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen so many shot clock violations forced in any game before.

TN played 4 guards for most of the game. But they weren’t crushed on the boards.

TN won by the way. You wouldn’t necessarily figure that out based on the amount of beyatching.

Virginia won an NC 3 years ago because their focus was playing outstanding defense. Several of the VN board geniuses have been posting from their mom’s basements that defense can’t win games in NCAA basketball. Brilliant! Stay in the Football Forum if great defense can’t be appreciated.

Awesome game BTW. Every possession was huge. TN staff knew that OM was going to milk the clock with their short bench and not attempting to shoot until there were about 5 seconds left on the shot clock. So the TN staff decided to go full court at the end and it was an outstanding move. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen so many shot clock violations forced in any game before.

TN played 4 guards for most of the game. But they weren’t crushed on the boards.

TN won by the way. You wouldn’t necessarily figure that out based on the amount of beyatching.
That Virginia team had a top 10 offensive efficiency ranking to match their stellar defense

That Virginia team had a top 10 offensive efficiency ranking to match their stellar defense

Exactly. I'm fairly certain that most posters on this board understand how elite our defense is night in and night out. I'm also fairly certain those same posters believe defense can indeed win a championship. The sticking point is that even an elite defense needs a good offense, which is something we lack at this moment. That Virginia team was incredibly well-rounded, and they also had a few dudes that would reliably hit big shots. We need that to emerge.

......but, we are just a bad offensive team. I have serious concerns this team is exactly like last year. We see the potential with our weapons, we preach patience and that things will get better, but then they never do. I seriously hope I am wrong though. I so, so want to be wrong.

This is exactly my feeling after this game. Great defense as was the case last year. And I see the potential on offense. Hard to guard Ziegler, Chandler, Viscovi and our guard rotation if they start hitting threes. But at this point, it's potential. I have my doubts they'll be consistent enough to win big. Now, if Chandler really starts to click? That will be a different story.

It seems worse with the 3-point focus. Make 50% of shots and every other possession is successful. When the equivalent is being made from 3, it is a fail 2 of 3 possessions. Then when it’s an off night of shooting it’s even more painful to witness.

If there's a bright side to the game, it's that we can win a game when we play like utter crap on offense.

It seems worse with the 3-point focus. Make 50% of shots and every other possession is successful. When the equivalent is being made from 3, it is a fail 2 of 3 possessions. Then when it’s an off night of shooting it’s even more painful to witness.
Painful yet we shot almost 30%. Take away Bailey & Chandler’s 0-6 and we’re right at 36% which we’re all fine with. Maybe our 3 point shooting wasn’t the real problem? Maybe the 19 turn overs along with 4 missed layups was the real problem. Also, I like ZZZ but don’t know that having a backup freshman pg taking 8 3 pointers is our best strategy to win. Chandler was very poor and Fulky non existent. Need those 2 back to full health

Reactions: Lankykong
It's been so long it seems since we had a team that could...make baskets. Every year it seems it's doink doink doink. Not fun to watch...and I think "well it's nice to be tall cuz these guys didn't get here cuz they can (gulp) shoot a basketball." Great defense is cool....but man...the inability to shoot is so dang depressing and old. Nothing beats winning though. I will say that.

27 turnovers is the most forced in a game since Barnes has coached here. I’m not sure how much farther back that extends. Hard stat to find.
The odd thing is that Barnes, though traditionally a defensive-minded coach, doesn't run a scheme that produces a lot of TOs. Without looking at the numbers from seasons past, I'd bet that this season is quite the exception.

Not sure. Even if he has gone a bit cold from 3 I’m ok w taking open ones. Definitely don’t want guys to lack confidence and aggressiveness. I’m actually not sure what problem Barnes had w his shot at the end of regulation. Given that Ole Miss had like 4 guys already in position and Chandler made a great move to get an open 3 w only a few seconds left I thought that was a good look.

Well there is the fact that 1. that shot was no where close to going in - it was wide right and back almost to the point of missing the rim altogether and
2. He can penetrate and score almost at will --- if that had been his focus.
I don't think you are looking for a fall away 3 from someone hitting 23 % of his recent 3.s

Painful yet we shot almost 30%. Take away Bailey & Chandler’s 0-6 and we’re right at 36% which we’re all fine with. Maybe our 3 point shooting wasn’t the real problem? Maybe the 19 turn overs along with 4 missed layups was the real problem. Also, I like ZZZ but don’t know that having a backup freshman pg taking 8 3 pointers is our best strategy to win. Chandler was very poor and Fulky non existent. Need those 2 back to full health

I don’t think that the strategy is for anybody specific to take the 3s. Nearly the entire team has a green light when it’s a good look. If defenses leave ZZZ open, then I like seeing him not hesitating to take the shots.

After listening to Basilio’s BS tonight, you’d come away thinking the players are intimidated by Barnes and are afraid to shoot. I’ve heard the exact opposite of what he is pushing… Barnes said he is bothered when good looks aren’t taken. I don’t care if somebody is 0-8 if they’re all open and that player is capable. With a 2/3rds failure rate the norm for 3s, eventually it averages out and the percentage goes up with good shooters. Like it did for Mississippi tonight.

The odd thing is that Barnes, though traditionally a defensive-minded coach, doesn't run a scheme that produces a lot of TOs. Without looking at the numbers from seasons past, I'd bet that this season is quite the exception.

Impossible. The narrative is that Barnes is set in his ways and he never changes or adjusts. He’s old school to a fault (so they say).

We do not (at this moment) have a Kyle Guy or De'Andre Hunter on this team. Those two dudes were studs.[/QUOTE

UVA has eleven guys in the NBA. Five were on that team. That was a mature, once in a career team for Bennett. I’d put our team (then) at 50/50 to beat them in the tournament that year. We had a great/mature team. Bennett is a great coach who leans on D and a highly disciplined O. It’s not unlike Barnes. Barnes offense requires some rhythm and judgment to click. It’s tough when we can’t seem to play three games without cancellation, sick players, or injuries. It’s hard with two Freshmen PG’s and no true big. This team can evolve and be great by the tournament, but not unless we get a lot of uninterrupted play. BHH averages more points and rebounds per minute than any other big, but he has bad discipline and slacks after a three minute span. We need him to grow up. We need Chandler and Ziegler to be disciplined on drives. There isn’t always a pass that will open up when you’re in the air. With the good version of Fulk, good minutes from BHH, and JJJ contributing points, we’re good. We haven’t really seen the team play in rhythm except against Arizona and Colorado. I still think this team in rhythm can be very good. We’re going to have a real hard time with tall athletic guards, as we did with Nova. I don’t think we match we’ll with Auburn or LSU. We need to play really well to hang with them. I can still see us in the 16, or even 8 in March with a good draw, but our offense will have to find rhythm.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I thought that Barnes would be ripping ZZZ another one after the through the legs pass. CRB was actually very good natured about it in the post game. But if it hadn’t resulted in a score and had TN lost it would have been a different story.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Under 30% is even worse than 2 fails for every success. It’s not too far off from 3 fails for every success. A lot of fans don’t have the patience when missing two and then making one is average.

1. You never take a conference win for granted, at home or on the road…we just went to Alabama down 2 of our best players and gave them everything they wanted, this league is tough and these coaches know each other, short handed or not…that doesn’t mean it wasn’t ugly or that there’s not room to improve, but you take any conference win in any fashion that you can get them, tonight included.

2. I’ll go positive first…Santiago Vescovi continues to show himself as quite arguably THE GUY on this team. He doesn’t disappear, he might take an ill advised shot or two, but when other guys are playing hot potato and afraid of the moment he is not. Add in that his on ball defense is dramatically improved and he’s looking more and more like a guy that very well might find himself on an All-SEC team at years end. Gutsy effort from him tonight though, 41mins, 17pts 6rbds 5ast, multiple big plays down the stretch.

3. I’ll go another positive, Zakai Zeigler, he was an absolute pest the last 5 minutes and hit a huge 3 as well…his 3pt% has been disappointing to me but the rest of his game has been impressive, that guy does not back down and he was an absolute nuisance to Ole Miss defensively especially when they lost their PG late.

4. Ok to the bad…Fulk looked like $hit, on both ends, which is really disappointing considering how he looked against Zona. Maybe that’s effects from COVID and I get that, but I wish Barnes would have identified it earlier on and made the move to keep him out sooner, he was bad tonight. Chandler also struggled for a large part of the game but came alive late and made some big plays, he’s got to step it up as he’s struggled a bit of late for us.

5. The defense was elite, once again, yet another opponent below 1ppp which ties the program record at 10 straight opponents in the KenPom era…will also boost our overall efficiency number defensively and keep us #2 nationally. On nights like tonight when shots aren’t falling that defense will keep you in a game, it travels on the road and that is a great luxury to have, but it doesn’t mean that everything is fine.

6. The offense was just as equally opposite bad and the defense was good, we continue to shoot really poor from the outside and that just doesn’t make a ton of sense, we’ve got better shooters than the numbers suggest, and of late turnovers haven’t helped those matters at all. The minutes played was a good sign that Barnes is indeed seeing Powell > Bailey, but we’ve got to start shooting better from 3, simple as that, 29% from deep isn’t going to cut it.

7. We won a conference game, we move to 1-1, I preached weeks ago that our start to SEC play was rough…2-3 was expectation and anything better would be gravy, we move to 1-1 and had a real chance at 2-0 even being short handed. There are things to work on for sure and Saturday against LSU won’t be easy at all, Barnes has struggled there and they just beat Kentucky, will be a rowdy crowd and a tough test…LSU is the #1 defensive team in the country and we are #2, theoretically this game could be even uglier than tonight’s, hang on.

GBO!!!

Mississippi had the tempo going their way on the defensive end and we did not get a lot of easy baskets despite forcing 27 turnovers.

Number 14 for Mississippi was hot from the 3 point line (5 of 6) and Vescovi came up huge at the end of the game with seven critical points.

LSU on Saturday night is always a tough place to play at and win........ I would place it second behind Rupp Arena for Tennessee with Alabama a close third and Auburn fourth.

If this team is going to reach its potential it's going to have to let Hatfield and Chandler grow on the job....I get that's not who Barnes is as a coach, but I think it's time for Him to try something different
Not happening. He is stubborn as hell. Why he’s a good coach and not elite. I’ve followed him since a kid when he was at Clemson. His lineups and substitutions make zero sense, he rides players like BHH and Powell, and not others, and is an average at best game coach. He isn’t worth $6 million and this team will flounder and flop just like last season. It’s frustrating as hell to watch but it’s the reality with him.

VN Store

Back