BTO’s Missouri Postgame Report

Nkamhoua didn’t keep progressing this week. Keon only played 18 minutes and had 2 fouls and 3 TOs. Walker is in the witness protection program.
Hard to progress within the week I think we ok with these two. They are going to fill the role and become another option. CB is working on his own aspects of the game with different looks, lineups and personnel. As far as Walker, must be something going on with him...or....he must know something on somebody that has placed him in purgatory.

And yet you said he’s out with an injury. LMFAO

I said that he didn’t play several games ago because he had an injury. You immediately jumped on my comment like a snarky smart ass and said that he was not injured. Kesling had said on the broadcast that he was sitting out of that game due to an injury.

Reactions: The Dog and vols 30
I said that he didn’t play several games ago because he had an injury. You immediately jumped on my comment like a snarky smart ass and said that he was not injured. Kesling had said on the broadcast that he was sitting out of that game due to an injury.

They said on the broadcast he was injured fwiw

Reactions: The Dog
If Pons consistently attacks the rim the way he did, he'll be first team All-SEC and may sneak into a loaded draft. I'd like to see more of that from Josiah as well. They need to identify the leader(s) on this team, and who's going to have the ball in their hand to make the crucial play in end of game situations. The floor of this team should be the Elite 8.

I thought someone mentioned Walker was hurt, or coming off an injury?!
He is either injured, not good enough, in Barnes dog house or possibly Barnes has forgotten his name and is too embarrassed to ask anyone so he can’t put him in.

Couple new wrinkles we saw against Missouri, that 1-2-2 full court zone press was very effective. Must have been 3 possessions in a row where Missouri either turned it over or were so disrupted they got nothing. ISO for Pons over and over again....I was shocked and Pons knew what to do. Nothing fancy, just go downhill and attack.

What is really impressive beyond the obvious defensive capabilities thus far, is how good our shot selection is. While we have some ugly misses there are very few ugly takes. UT offense makes the midrange game cool again and I love it.

Big fan of posting our guards. Fulkerson (again) needs to be okay shooting that 15 foot jumper as he dribbles into trouble or gets off balance too often. James needs to look to score more often. We have a tendency to overpass at times, but I’m nitpicking.

Bottom-line we are good and have potential to get better this year after only 7 games. Man it would be fun to play an elite offense like Gonzaga and see how we do.

I've been following Vols BB since the Ron Widby/ Tom Boerwinkle days when the only time they would be on TV was the Kentucky game and when only 25 teams would go to the tournament (yeah, I know, I'm old). This is our best defensive team in my time.

They've got all these guys who are 6'5" and 6'6", long arms and ripped. That takes some of the pressure off the Fulk on the boards and compensates for not having a bruising dedicated 6' 10" rebounder and shot blocker. (Before someone points out Fulk's height, it's true he's 6'9", but he isn't 245 lbs so that people bounce off him plus he plays all over the court on the offensive end, even taking 3's, so he's not a pure low post guy. And before someone thinks I am denigrating the Fulk, that's not my intention. I love his work ethic and desire. He may be the best job in player development in Barnes's time at UT.)

I'm particularly impressed by not just their help defense, but how quickly they rebalance the court when they do step out on screens or cut off drives. Then you have Pons who clearly got into Missou's heads with his shot-blocking not to mention he looks like he was carved out of a piece of rock. (Who the hell is Barnes's strength and conditioning coach and can the football team borrow him?)

We should all enjoy this. This special kind of team is rarely seen in Big Orange Country.
I’d like it if the football team could borrow Barnes.

Reactions: StarRaider
"A Tennessee spokesperson for the Vols said after Friday’s game that the Walker, a former four-star prospect in the 2020 recruiting class, is continuing to rehab a toe injury suffered in November."

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Couple new wrinkles we saw against Missouri, that 1-2-2 full court zone press was very effective. Must have been 3 possessions in a row where Missouri either turned it over or were so disrupted they got nothing. ISO for Pons over and over again....I was shocked and Pons knew what to do. Nothing fancy, just go downhill and attack.

What is really impressive beyond the obvious defensive capabilities thus far, is how good our shot selection is. While we have some ugly misses there are very few ugly takes. UT offense makes the midrange game cool again and I love it.

Big fan of posting our guards. Fulkerson (again) needs to be okay shooting that 15 foot jumper as he dribbles into trouble or gets off balance too often. James needs to look to score more often. We have a tendency to overpass at times, but I’m nitpicking.

Bottom-line we are good and have potential to get better this year after only 7 games. Man it would be fun to play an elite offense like Gonzaga and see how we do.
A team that doesn't occasionally over pass at times is not committed to sharing the ball. One of the things that make this team so awesome to watch is how connected and unselfish they are. I agree with all your points.

"A Tennessee spokesperson for the Vols said after Friday’s game that the Walker, a former four-star prospect in the 2020 recruiting class, is continuing to rehab a toe injury suffered in November."
Good to see him out there in warmups and continuing to be a full participant in practice

So what’s your take in him now?

I haven’t followed
Barnes wants him to be better defensively, much better, as well as in much better shape...maybe he had a minor toe injury but he’s been a full participant in practices and more than healthy enough to appear in games if that’s what the coaches wanted to do. TGO tried to suggest he was only not playing because of injury, I stated that wasn’t the case, it’s doubtful we see him at all this year.

Barnes wants him to be better defensively, much better, as well as in much better shape...maybe he had a minor toe injury but he’s been a full participant in practices and more than healthy enough to appear in games if that’s what the coaches wanted to do. TGO tried to suggest he was only not playing because of injury, I stated that wasn’t the case, it’s doubtful we see him at all this year.

Thanks
I agree with you

You keep injecting your dumb comments. YOU SAID HE WAS NOT INJURED. PERIOD.

Injury wasn’t the reason he was not playing, that’s what I was saying, you were saying he wasn’t playing because of injury. Once into the season you can claim “injury” on anyone, fact is that’s not what kept him from playing.

giphy.gif

Injury wasn’t the reason he was not playing, that’s what I was saying, you were saying he wasn’t playing because of injury. Once into the season you can claim “injury” on anyone, fact is that’s not what kept him from playing.

Two weeks ago a poster asked why Walker did not play in that day’s game. I replied that he was injured. You jumped on my reply in your condescending tone with “he’s not injured”. Kesling had announced during the broadcast that Walker was injured and was sitting that game out. You’ve been arguing ever since.

Reactions: The Dog
Two weeks ago a poster asked why Walker did not play in that day’s game. I replied that he was injured. You jumped on my reply in your condescending tone with “he’s not injured”. Kesling had announced during the broadcast that Walker was injured and was sitting that game out. You’ve been arguing ever since.

Bingo. Injury isn’t why he didn’t see the floor at all.

VN Store

Back