BTO’s Missouri Postgame Report

Love these post game write ups. So excited we get to experience this team.

OT: anyone know where I can get the INAM wristband they wear ? Yes, I know I'm too old for it.

Damn the this years addition of the BasketVols is awesome! The sky is the limit for the and i think they could win the SEC and make it to the Final Four!

Reactions: Godfatha
1. It’s time to take this team seriously...Colorado was solid, Cincinnati had some name notoriety, but tonight was a Top 15 matchup and our Vols first road game, we whooped ass, on both sides of the court. Fair to say that this team is playing really well, which is a little surprising given the time missed, if that means they’ve got room to improve....watch out.

2. This defense is ELITE, Missouri is not an offensive juggernaut, but they came into the game possessing a pretty quality offense, Tennessee held them to their worst offensive efficiency outing of the season at 0.779ppp, this is a team that has played Illinois and Oregon, and that is with Missouri matching a season high in FTA. That’s 7 opponents in a row held below 1ppp, that is a streak only matched by the 2019 Texas Tech team that made the national championship.

3. As much talk as there is about our defense, and rightfully so, our offense is starting to click...we turned it over a little more than normal and shot horribly from the line (yet still won by 20), however we once again were over 1+ppp, which marks 5th game in a row, never matched that streak last season. We only took 7 three pointers, made 5 of them, this team gets quality shots and lives in that 4-10 foot range, a weakness in Missouri’s defense, we are then alive all night long in the mid range.

4. I thought PG play in general struggled, Vescovi did some but so did everyone else given a chance, that’s kind of CCM’s style though...he pushes teams out and plays physical, makes it hard to run your stuff, we won’t run into a ton of that. Even though that was the case Vescovi still threw up a team high 15pts, James and Springer also had really nice games...Springer’s ability to play inside 10’ with such strength continues to impress me.

5. That game showed why Yves Pons will make money, I’m not sure where his offense ends up, but he’s an absolute menace defensively and he might be better this year than last year. He looks a step quicker to me against guards and he draws charges, against bigger guys or trailing he blocks shots, he’s also hitting the boards a little harder too and pulled down 6 rebounds tonight. He seemingly found his mid range game tonight and even if that’s all he gives it’s more than enough.

6. With Wisconsin and Houston losing and Villanova on postponement, a win Saturday and you very well could see these Vols climb up to #4, worst case it seems like #5...obviously have to take care of Bama who will bomb away from 3, so you hope they aren’t on, but with the win tonight on the road Tennessee has really put themselves out in front of the SEC and into the national spotlight.

GBO!!!

All really good points. My takeaways, which you mentioned, are that we hammered Mizzou after they got 30 FTA's and we only shot seven 3's, and led by 28 late in the game.

My concerns are that the physical play bothers Vescovi and makes it tougher to get into the offensive flow. He's a step slow and the Mizzou guards bounced Vescovi and Bailey around causing too many turnovers. The flip side is that a number of times, we were absolutely molested and no fouls were called in those instances.

My other concern is that Anosike was way overmatched by the Missouri bigs. It's still early, but I'm beginning to wonder if Anosike will be able to contribute like we hoped. He seemed offensively helpless tonight.
I'm wondering if Anosike is either trying to hard to prove his worth or hasn't adapted to the level of play in the SEC. To me, it looks like he is trying too hard that he can't get out of his own way. He isn't expected to take over the role of the player he substituted for and be a scorer or shot blocker, but to simply maintain where we are at on the scoreboard at that time. Any scoring is a bonus but we need his physical strength and rebounding. He learns that and I think he will be just fine.

Just my two cents!

Man I love these stress free games
Yeah, I LOVE worrying if we're going to win by 30 and hold the other team under 60.
Pons keeps playing like this, with his athletic ability, and prowess on D, rounded out by increased offensive output, may put him into a first round selection in NBA. Also, love Springer and Bailey activity in the paint on offense. When we're hitting 3's, keeping teams honest and playing D like we are, not too many teams can hang with us.

Went over to the Missouri SB Nation site to read some of the game thread. Its nice consistently seeing "Tennessee is a final four team" from opposing fans, and another post that caught my eye was "can you imagine having a lotto pick coming of the bench." We might have 2 of them. If most of the older guys come back and we lose Springer and Keon to the draft I think Mashack fills Keon's role from this year well, great defender/work in progress offensively and Chandler might be the best all around PG in the country, will fill Springers role. Tennessee could legitimately have back to back championship caliber teams. Excited to see how these next few years play out. Sky is the limit, this team is special.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol49er
[QUOTE="ALStateLineVol, post: 19200540, member: 79592"]I'm wondering if Anosike is either trying to hard to prove his worth or hasn't adapted to the level of play in the SEC. To me, it looks like he is trying too hard that he can't get out of his own way. He isn't expected to take over the role of the player he substituted for and be a scorer or shot blocker, but to simply maintain where we are at on the scoreboard at that time. Any scoring is a bonus but we need his physical strength and rebounding. He learns that and I think he will be just fine.

Just my two cents![/QUOTE]

A bit of both IMO. I think he is still trying to find his way/role on this team more than anything. I think he will be fine with more PT.

There are some hot 3 point shooting teams like Arkansas and Auburn that I worry about especially if we have an off night shooting the ball. Pons is a monster and what is the upside for Springer. He and Keon really balled last night.

Barnes has done a very good job of getting this group to mesh together. You have upperclassmen with experience and ability and young guys without the first but plenty of the later.

Most get caught up with the individual talent aspect, but this bunch plays well as a group even well into the bench. My biggest concern is depth behind Pons and Fulkerson. I think the drop off is bigger behind them than 1-3.

I'm wondering if Anosike is either trying to hard to prove his worth or hasn't adapted to the level of play in the SEC. To me, it looks like he is trying too hard that he can't get out of his own way. He isn't expected to take over the role of the player he substituted for and be a scorer or shot blocker, but to simply maintain where we are at on the scoreboard at that time. Any scoring is a bonus but we need his physical strength and rebounding. He learns that and I think he will be just fine.

Just my two cents!
Yes, but he has enough attempts where his poor FG% is hurting the team. They're essentially like empty possessions.

Our guards HAVE to finish when they get penetration. Vescovi seemed scared to attack on that back door cut that Fulky hit him with. Our guards being timid to attack the rim seems to be a common weakness discussed here.

JJJ has taken more opportunities this year so far, but need him to penetrate more.

Springer and Keon don’t seem as timid, but of the two it appears Springer is more effective.

Thought?

Reactions: VolsSince78
One thing I think we saw that I haven’t seen mentioned is that the rotation really shrunk by 1 last night. Olivier only played 1 minute in the first half so I think that tells us without foul trouble this team is heading to a 8 player rotation

Arky looked really good against AU. Not much on D but offensively they can cause you a lot of problems. Quick, shoots the 3 well. Going to be a tough test. Glad its a TB. Will be interesting to see who Barnes and CO defend them.

Most exciting thing from last night was Pons dribble drive a few times as that’s the biggest untapped potential on our team IMO. He has Dominique level potential there to consistently get either a bunnie or free throws. No reason he shouldn’t get 6+ ft a game

Reactions: mssr_q and ndubvols
Most exciting thing from last night was Pons dribble drive a few times as that’s the biggest untapped potential on our team IMO. He has Dominique level potential there to consistently get either a bunnie or free throws. No reason he shouldn’t get 6+ ft a game

They put the poor pember clone in there and Pons went by that poor kid like he was standing still

Great game, and it is hard to find much negative. But I am a little concerned about how much Fulky seemed to struggle against their bigs. He wasn't able to do much at all on his own.

I am also bewildered at how much PG Keon is playing. I just don't see him as a PG, but CRB obviously knows better than me.

On speaking about the players beyond the top 7 :
I think ORN is way ahead of Anosike and needs more minutes
Anosike seems to be a little on the slow or awkward side, doesn't seem to have the rebounding timing of Pons or Orn
I feel badly for Plav. He just doesn't seem to elevate on rebounding and has no idea when he has the open dunk. One possession he had the ball wide open under the basket and passed it.
Pember and Gaines really need to get in the weight room and add 20 pounds of muscle.

I know this sounds all negative, but I'm just playing devil's advocate.
We have the best team UT has had since Ernie/Bernie. Minimum should be EE this year. Gonna be hard to dislodge Gonzaga, Kansas, and Baylor.

No mention of John Fulkerson and his weak hand? I genuinely thought we lost him when we went down.. Fulkerson isn’t being nearly as dominant this year, slightly due to use having so many different players that can attack!

But if we get a 100% Fulkerson.. we’ll be even better

Anybody know anything about Corey Walker? Is he expected to be healthy enough to play this year? I'm sure this has probably been asked a bunch, I'm not on volnation often, so sorry if it has already been addressed.

Anybody know anything about Corey Walker? Is he expected to be healthy enough to play this year? I'm sure this has probably been asked a bunch, I'm not on volnation often, so sorry if it has already been addressed.
I think he will end up redshirting.

VN Store

Back