BTO’s Mississippi State SECT edition postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. Great win, Mississippi State is a projected 5 seed in the NCAAT, we pretty much controlled that game throughout and if not for Holman getting hot we win by 15+ points. As a 1 or 2 seed you aren’t seeing a team like that until you are into the S16 and playing for a trip to the E8, that was a quality win against a team playing goo basketball.

2. Kyle Alexander played one of the best games I have seen him play, when he brings that intensity and activity we are a different team on both ends of the court. He has struggled through his career to bring that level of play each night, but if he can find a way to string together a few of those games in a row this is a much different type of team.

3. Similarly...Jordan Bowden and especially Lamonte Turner we’re lights out. Barnes talks about how Turner can impact the game in so many ways other than the 3 ball, that was on full display tonight, he only took 1 three pointer yet had 8 assists and at time was an absolute menace defensively, he needs to bring that level of play every night, the shots will start falling for him too from outside, that’s just how it goes. Same for Bowden, filling his role and finding his shot again, playing great defense and crashing the boards...need him to continue that.

4. Keeping this one short because I’m barely keeping my eyes open...that was a great one and the way we played was encouraging, the assists were over 20 like early in the year and we only took 11 shots from deep, we got what we wanted most of the time and scored efficiently while pretty much playing without GW the entire 2nd half. Tomorrow is a great opportunity, Vols have a 2 seed locked up imo with a chance at a 1, this game tomorrow is a E8/F4 caliber game, if we lose it isn’t doom and gloom and I think that should be understood, Tennessee wouldn’t see a team of UK’s caliber until deep into the NCAAT, just happens to be an unlucky draw to get them in the semi’s tomorrow. With that said I’m really looking forward to how this game goes, I expect it will be a close game and a battle and that it will be a very pro UK crowd, should be a great game.

GBO!!!

Don't let the 7 point win fool you, this a good State team and we controlled the game. Turkey will have it's hands full tomorrow.

Strange game really.

I'd guess we were close to -10 with grant in the game

Our best play took place with schofoeld at the 4 tonight

-Tennessee's frontcourt was 26-42 from the field. That will win most games for you.

-Turner and Bone were pretty bad shooting the ball, but still contributed to the scoring column by combining for 17 assists, 5 steals, and only 4 TOs. Turner played great on-ball D.

-As a team, we had 10 steals, 7 blocks, and only 9 TOs.

-Refs left their whistles in the locker room tonight. We didn't shoot a single FT until the 10:38 mark of the 2nd half. That is unheard of, especially for a team that gets their points in the paint and typically draws a lot of fouls. The game was called rather evenly, but very inconsistent. Grant's fifth foul (tie-up) Admiral's first foul (zero contact), the retroactive T on Alexander (never called on the floor)...SEC officiating is just plain bad.

-Schofield's dunk...my goodness!

-We won the battle of the boards, but we gave up a lot of offensive rebounds, our Achilles heel.

-At some point, you have to guard Aric Holman. We finally did after his 5th made 3-pointer. Not a very good adjustment.

-Player of the Game: Kyle Alexander...16 pts, 9 rebs, 3 blks, 2 stls, 1 asst. Might be his best game of the season. Showed of some midrange game amongst his work around the basket, and kept several possessions alive.

-Tourney life = survive and advance.

I have to tip my hat to the officiating crew. They let the teams play tonight and called the game like a tournament game should be called. The game had a good flow to it and really didn't have any bad momentum breaking calls and reviews. Hope tomorrow's game is called the same way.

Also, I think CRB did a masterful job of spreading the minutes around. 53 minutes played by the bench. That has to be a big plus for tomorrow's game.

Last edited:
Kyle will be a factor as long refs aren't determined to call ticky-tack fouls throughout the tournament season.

I was concerned when we strutted Fulky and Pons out on the floor together for a pivotal stretch in the 2nd half but it paid off. We got some players rested, built some confidence in our bench, and sent a message that we are still a team throughout the postseason and must rely on whoever is called upon.

Strange game really.

I'd guess we were close to -10 with grant in the game

Our best play took place with schofoeld at the 4 tonight

Grant happened to sit around the time most teams that play back-to-back start to get gassed and feel it.

I'm always happy with a win.

But... I hated the triple technical sequence. It seems like the Miss State player was the instigator, but they benefit with 2 techs on TN to their one.

AND... Schofield, Alexander, and Turner need to get their **** together if we are to get more tourney wins this year. 2 seniors and a RS Junior need to be smarter than that. With the lead and the free throws coming up you have to let it go. Could have really hurt us. Turner ALWAYS sticks his nose in those situations. Bone did a great job pushing Williams toward the bench after he picked up his 5th foul and wanted to argue about it. Discipline should be better at this stage of their (GW, LT, AS, KA) careers. BUT... Alexander is typically pretty level headed. There must have been some crap going down and I blame the refs for not having better control.

I hope that Turner works hard as a PG in the off season. His bounce pass to Williams late for the open dunk was a dagger. I want to see more of that and fewer 3-point attempts from him early in the shot clock. Turner had a really nice game.

KY will be interesting and the refs are really going to have a huge impact. They'll probably let them play rough and Williams is going to take a beating. We need KA, Admiral, and even Fulkerson to battle inside. Maybe we can get one or more Cats in foul trouble, but unfortunately refs tend to even things out if a KY player gets into early foul trouble. Watch for phantom makeup calls if KY gets whistled much. I wish that Walker could step up and contribute as well.

VN Store

Back