BTO’s Georgia Tech postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. I will attribute a lot of that ugliness/football game to GT’s gameplan, they came out playing overly physical which kept Tennessee from getting any rhythm on the offensive end. It’s also why the game lasted 2.5hrs and GT was in foul trouble all night long. Tennessee ended the game with 12ast/13to’s, but came in averaging 25ast/11to’s, again I’ll mostlh attribute that to GT trying to ugly the game up knowing that was their only chance. With that said, Tennessee should’ve made them pay from the free throw line, we shot 63% from the line, shoot 75% from the line and we win by nearly 20.

2. We outrebounded Georgia Tech 44-37, not dominate but with their addition of James Banks they had some decent size. Rebounding had been a concern and will continue to be something to watch but it’s a positive sign that we outrebounded GT.

3. On a similar note, Jordan Bowden had a nice defensive game for Tennessee and led the Vols with 11 rebounds. I would be perfectly ok if he never took another 10-18’ jumper and remained either slashing or spot up 3’s, those are much higher percentage shots for him.

4. Kyle Alexander for the 2nd straight game logged 30+ minutes, this is a great sign for him and for Tennessee. 12pts 9rbd 1blk on the night, if he can continue to give us 28+mpg we are going to continue to be a very good defensive team. As was mentioned during the telecast he’s the guy NBA scouts are drawn to on this roster, I was very happy to see him pull thup trigger on that 3 and would be to see him take 1-2 of those a game.

5. On that topic, in our first 3 games we’ve turned in 2 performances on the defensive end that would’ve ranked as our 2 best defensive efforts all of last year (Lenoir-Rhyne & Georgia Tech). Obviously defense was our strength last year and was once again expected to be this year, but it looks like it could possibly be even better. We need the offense to continue to develop and tonight’s game may have been a good thing for our guys to give them something to work on over the next week.

6. 2nd game in a row we have saw no Derrick Walker, last game Barnes said it was because Louisiana player small, but that wasn’t the case tonight, so interested to see what’s going on there. Obviously if Alexander is gonna give you 32mpg someone is losing minutes and right now that appears to be Walker. We’ve also yet to see Lamonte Turner, and I’m very curious to see how he effects this team on both ends. Barnes loves his defense and in theory he should allow Bowden to play more 2 where he’s clearly better suited, thus making our offense more efficient. At the same time we are 3-0 without him and so it may take some time to get that chemistry right insertint him back in.

7. No surprises, we are 3-0 to start the year and the Vols have taken care of business, they’ve got a week off before heading to Brooklyn to take on Louisville and then Marquette or Kansas. Louisville looks to be better than expected and Chris Mack is a helluva coach so the boys better come ready to play that opening game, win that game and it would seem likely we will have a Top 5 showdown against Kansas.

GBO!!!

Like to see the Kansas matchup! Tonight they looked like they were wearing walking boots on both legs. I remember them firing that thing around the horn and making those sharp cuts to the basket end of last season. Guess it takes time to get to that level of play each season? Played a lot of guys.

1. Doesn't look nearly as ugly if they make FT's and AS hits 1/2 his shots

3. Agree 100% on Bowden's best offense. Teams better when he shots 5+/- shots a game

I thought there were some quick whistles tonight which kept Pons on the bench. He couldn't go 2 minutes without a foul call. Banks will be a good player for GT. Fulky played within himself and gave quality minutes. Who's next!

Like to see the Kansas matchup! Tonight they looked like they were wearing walking boots on both legs. I remember them firing that thing around the horn and making those sharp cuts to the basket end of last season. Guess it takes time to get to that level of play each season? Played a lot of guys.

Like I mentioned GT had a lot to do with that, they played this game like it was football, hard to make those finesse cuts and motions when you’re being shoved around every turn.

1. Doesn't look nearly as ugly if they make FT's and AS hits 1/2 his shots

3. Agree 100% on Bowden's best offense. Teams better when he shots 5+/- shots a game

I thought there were some quick whistles tonight which kept Pins on the bench. He could go 2 minutes without a foul call. Banks will be a good player for GT. Fulky played within himself and gave quality minutes. Who's next!

Free throws was my biggest gripe, GT was really phyiscal knocking us off our cuts etc., way to make them pay is hit the free throws, we didn’t. If we had shot 75% and hit some of those front ends we win by 20+, gonna have Gabe’s where Schofield or someone else is cold, but gotta hit free throws.

It’ll be nice to have turner back as far as free throws go. This is one example where we are really missing him. Gotta think he makes a 5-8 point difference in this kind of game. I sureHope he’s ready to go next week.

Great write up BTO

Go Vols!

Shout out to Fulkerson for a great couple of blocks and some nice hustle D. I've been down on him, but this was a better game for him, even though it may not be obvious on the stat sheet.

Was a good showing for Fulk

I thought Pons and Alexander looked great defensively.

Really everyone did. But those two really flashed for me.

One thing I’ve noticed on defense is we’ve been leaving our feet a lot, which leads to more open looks that should be contested. I notice Alexander doing this more so than anyone else, but it’s a problem I’ve seen from almost everyone, with the exception of Pons and Fulkerson who both do a great job of not biting. I know one of Alexander’s goals this season is to lead the SEC in blocks, but I’m wondering if that’s leading to him being a little too aggressive at times.

Overall though, a great defensive effort, and this is a very small problem in the grand scheme of things. Can’t wait to see what these guys can do next week against some tough competition away from home, and hoping for an eventual top 5 matchup.

Go Vols!

Fulkerson and Alexander play well together and give UT a strong defensive interior presence and the Admiral had a nice block at the 3 point line, UT needs to make their freebies and the coaching matchup between Mack and Barnes will be very interesting to watch.

A). We got several beat up players. Alexander was grabbing his left hip or thigh and was in pain. Bone aggravated a shoulder. Refs made Fulk come out of the game after his face was bloody.

B). Schofield ditched his glasses. I read on here that he couldn't wear his contacts, so he would have been hampered with his vision not at 100%.

C). Shembari Phillips didn't have a very memorable performance.

D). Didn't see much subbing for Bone at PG.

E). Played a lot of zone D late in the 2nd half.

F). TN lost a lot of these ugly games the last 7 or 8 years.

G). When Doug Shows is a ref, the games are ugly and not as fun to watch.

H). Very few transition baskets.

I). Fulkerson spelled Alexander a lot more and Williams less than previous games. He struggles to be effective in the paint on offense (he's better out top), but his defense near the basket was very good.

J). Turner was still sitting out during the layup line warm-ups, but was dressed out. He was interacting with his teammates as they warmed up.

K). Good game plan and execution by neutralizing their PG.

L). Too many TOs from sloppy play... not from GT's defense forcing them.

M). I wonder if Doug Shows being the ref had something to do with Walker sitting and Fulk getting a lot of minutes as the 5. Shows loves to blow the whistle and maybe Fulk is more effective when he can't be pushed around without fouls being called. Pons picked up 3 fouls in just a few minutes.

A). We got several beat up players. Alexander was grabbing his left hip or thigh and was in pain. Bone aggravated a shoulder. Refs made Fulk come out of the game after his face was bloody.

B). Schofield ditched his glasses. I read on here that he couldn't wear his contacts, so he would have been hampered with his vision not at 100%.

C). Shembari Phillips didn't have a very memorable performance.

D). Didn't see much subbing for Bone at PG.

E). Played a lot of zone D late in the 2nd half.

F). TN lost a lot of these ugly games the last 7 or 8 years.

G). When Doug Shows is a ref, the games are ugly and not as fun to watch.

H). Very few transition baskets.

I). Fulkerson spelled Alexander a lot more and Williams less than previous games. He struggles to be effective in the paint on offense (he's better out top), but his defense near the basket was very good.

J). Turner was still sitting out during the layup line warm-ups, but was dressed out. He was interacting with his teammates as they warmed up.

K). Good game plan and execution by neutralizing their PG.

L). Too many TOs from sloppy play... not from GT's defense forcing them.

M). I wonder if Doug Shows being the ref had something to do with Walker sitting and Fulk getting a lot of minutes as the 5. Shows loves to blow the whistle and maybe Fulk is more effective when he can't be pushed around without fouls being called. Pons picked up 3 fouls in just a few minutes.
So true about Shows. Seems like every game he refs lasts about 2 1/2 hours with all the fouls and checking the replay monitor. I cringe when I see him or Teddy Valentine are refereeing our games. Also, Grant needs to stop complaining about every single call. Refs can't stand that. , especially Shows and TV

Reactions: LibertyVol
It seems like FT shooting has been a problem for years, or maybe it's just me.

Reactions: SJAVol32
BTO i mentioned against LR you didn't have mention of free throws, and I asked if we got that figured out. You pointed out it was more about WHO had taken taken the free throws. Is the three guys missing the free throws like Shaq. Can this be fixed or we just SOL when those guys go to the line? I have a feeling we'll lose games over this.

-We seemed to basically go with a 6-man rotation most of the night. All 5 starters played 30+ minutes. Pons played 10 minutes, but I'd guess 7-8 of them came in the first half, and Fulkerson played the majority of his minutes in the second half. Perhaps out of necessity, and perhaps knowing they would have a week to recover, but I hoped our depth would be key in a game like this, and it really wasn't.

-Fulkerson...I have been hard on him in the past, so it's only fair that I call him out for excellent play. Last night might have been his best game in two years. He only scored a single point from the FT line, but we don't need him to score. His defense and rebounding were phenomenal off the bench. 6 rebs, 2 blks, 2 stls, 0 TOs in 16 minutes. All kinds of hustle and effort to go with it. I'll take those numbers every game from him.

-Grant was steady, as usual, but 4 TOs, most of which were unforced, needs fixing. Out of character for him. That aside, we don't win without him.

-Easily, Bone and Schofield's worst games of the season. Both didn't seem locked in from a mental standpoint. Schofield seemed fazed by shedding the glasses.

-We missed enough FTs to lose 2 games, and if GT shoots even 35%, we may have lost on our home floor last night. That has to be cleaned up. No excuse for guys like Bone, Schofield and Williams to miss as many as they did (12 misses).

-Defense was absolutely smothering. If you hold your opponent under 40% shooting, you give yourself a good chance to win. You hold then under 30%, it should be a walk in the park. Last night was in doubt because we weren't very efficient offensively, ourselves, and because of the number of FTs allowed GT to stay in the game, as they hit theirs (86%) and we didn't (63%). Fortunately, we shot a lot more of them, but 59 total FTs is ridiculous. Game lasted forever as a result.

-Boys better come to play next week. Competition level has slowly ramped up, which I love about our schedule and how it set up, but next week it gets real. Last night's focus and offensive effort won't cut it in NYC.

Reactions: sport3500
Shout out to Fulkerson for a great couple of blocks and some nice hustle D. I've been down on him, but this was a better game for him, even though it may not be obvious on the stat sheet.
Fulkerson does a lot of little things that add up during the course of a game. He gets loose balls. He blocks shots. He is a good passer. He rebounds. He is 100% all the time and makes things happen. I look for his minutes to go up and hopefully he will start to score some. I would like for him to develop a three point shot. He has a chance to be an outstanding player for Tennessee.

Need Lamonte. Early in the season, guess we'll have a few of these games. FT's will probably come when guys get their legs under them in game conditioning. I was most disappointed w/ the unforced errors, but again, maybe early season stuff, and also the movement of the ball got stagnant some and thought Grant tried to do too much at times. Thought D was very good, and that's what we need when the ball's not falling.

Reactions: savannahfan

VN Store

Back