BTO’s Georgia Tech postgame report

doubt we go undefeated...gonna be a another tough year, like last year...just strap in and hold on...could get a little bumpy...:D

GO VOLS!

It also is worth mentioning that whatever that was on Josh Pastner’s head is an embarrassment to headgear, everywhere. Take that lettuce to Great Clips, bro. He seems to have put on some LBs at GT, as well.

Lord. We held them to 27% shooting and about 30 points under their average. We were careless and sloppy on offense and we still won. Barnes will have some good life lessons watching tape before the Loseie vill game.
Bet they don't look the same in NY.

1. Really missing Lamonte. Gives us another option (possibly our best) with our outside shooting and another perimeter defender which can move Schofield and Williams down a spot which is really where they need to be IMO.
2. Dribble penetration was about all GT had, and we struggled with this. See #1 above.
3. I still don't see enough dribble penetration from us. This will have to be addressed if we are to take another step.
4. Everyone has mentioned this, but FTs were awful. Williams misses his first of two way too often.
5. Glad to see us win the rebound battle.

It was an ugly game all around. Still a W though. Georgia Tech challenged our guys a little more than I thought they would. Every time I see Josh Pastner listed as a head coach I scratch my head. I don't think even some of UT's AD's would have made that hire. I agree free throws are a concern.

@VOLED

I agree with #3

Fixing #1 and getting Turner back (and getting Bowden to shoot a bit more) can open up lanes to make driving easier.

Reactions: VOLED
As far as free throws, last night was probably approached differently than it will be versus most opponents. When TN's defense is that smothering, they can afford to keep a bad free throw shooter like Fulk on the floor that many minutes.

Also, when GT was making it so hard for TN to score, even 63% puts points on the scoreboard. You can get away with that when you hold your opponent to around 30% FGs. Also when you get to the FT line more often than the opponent the math works out in your favor.

Thought Barnes touched on the Hunted topic in his postgame. Teams are going to come after you a lot harder when you're ranked #5 as opposed to #25 last season. We're going to get everyone's best game/effort.
GT game may make us sit up and realize that. Could make us BETTER.

Reactions: tbones0711
As far as free throws, last night was probably approached differently than it will be versus most opponents. When TN's defense is that smothering, they can afford to keep a bad free throw shooter like Fulk on the floor that many minutes.

Also, when GT was making it so hard for TN to score, even 63% puts points on the scoreboard. You can get away with that when you hold your opponent to around 30% FGs. Also when you get to the FT line more often than the opponent the math works out in your favor.

Fulk was 1-2 on FTs. Bone was 5-8, Admiral 1-4, and Williams 10-16. I don't Fulk hurt us on FTs last night like the those 3 did. 12 missed FTs from those 3 alone.

Reactions: walkenvol
Fulk was 1-2 on FTs. Bone was 5-8, Admiral 1-4, and Williams 10-16. I don't Fulk hurt us on FTs last night like the those 3 did. 12 missed FTs from those 3 alone.

I'm commenting on the strategy. GT was never closer that 3 scores and realistically 4 since their 3 point shooting was suspect. Better FT shooting didn't seem to be too much of a concern last night despite whistle happy Doug's crew blowing.

I'm commenting on the strategy. GT was never closer that 3 scores and realistically 4 since their 3 point shooting was suspect. Better FT shooting didn't seem to be too much of a concern last night despite whistle happy Doug's crew blowing.

I don't think he was "whistle happy" at all. There were just so many opportunities to call fouls last night that he just seemed whistle happy. GT had an agenda to disrupt and deny and the rules be damned. Did you notice how often in the early going that Grant was physically attacked by two or more players every time he touched the ball? Other less obvious fouls, that were pretty dirty, didn't get called at all.

BTO i mentioned against LR you didn't have mention of free throws, and I asked if we got that figured out. You pointed out it was more about WHO had taken taken the free throws. Is the three guys missing the free throws like Shaq. Can this be fixed or we just SOL when those guys go to the line? I have a feeling we'll lose games over this.

In the LR game it was Pons/Fulk/Walker who missed most of our free throws, last night it was Bone/Schofield/Williams combining to go 16-28 (57%), that can’t happen.

-We seemed to basically go with a 6-man rotation most of the night. All 5 starters played 30+ minutes. Pons played 10 minutes, but I'd guess 7-8 of them came in the first half, and Fulkerson played the majority of his minutes in the second half. Perhaps out of necessity, and perhaps knowing they would have a week to recover, but I hoped our depth would be key in a game like this, and it really wasn't.

Yea everyone wanted to talk like Barnes was going to go 10-11 deep and I just don’t see it, there’s still a drop-off obviously from Schofield to Johnson, Bone to Bowden at PG, Alexander to Walker etc.

Johnson has seen very limited minutes as is, have to think when Turner is inserted back into the rotation his minutes largely disappear and Pons may even decrease a little as well.

It was frustrating to watch Bowden, Bone, Williams, and Alexander turn down wide open looks before GT had time to set up their effective half-court defense. GT seemed slow getting back at times but we were determined to run our sets and pound it inside. Seemed like there was an unusual amount of over-passing, turnovers, and rushed shots at the end of the shot clock...sometimes the first opportunity is the best (or only) opportunity.

Last edited:
It also is worth mentioning that whatever that was on Josh Pastner’s head is an embarrassment to headgear, everywhere. Take that lettuce to Great Clips, bro. He seems to have put on some LBs at GT, as well.

Reactions: Strongbad
It was frustrating to watch Turner, Bone, Williams, and Alexander turn down wide open looks before GT had time to set up their effective half-court defense. GT seemed slow getting back at times but we were determined to run our sets and pound it inside. Seemed like there was an unusual amount of over-passing, turnovers, and rushed shots at the end of the shot clock...sometimes the first opportunity is the best (or only) opportunity.

I was also frustrated with Turner turning down those open looks from the bench

VN Store

Back