BTO’s ETSU Postgame Report

He was 0/4 from the floor including 3 right under the basket. At least he was 3/4 from the line. If he can keep grabbing boards, he’ll at least get fouled a lot I think so hitting from the stripe will help a lot

My bad. I thought I saw that he had scored 7 at some point late in the game. Hopefully, this was the low point of his Tennessee career.

I agree on this freshman class, but let's be honest about the 22 class. It sits at one player because we couldn't close the deal on about a half dozen others. It hasn't been entirely by choice or design.

Now, I will concede that it does likely sit at one, absent any unknown/project players, perhaps, by design, but at the same time, we seem willing (perhaps pushing) to add Angel Montas in the fall period, and I think he'd fall in that category.

A big factor on not closing the deal on 22 recruits is because the opportunities aren’t as attractive minus lots of immediate attrition. Especially after Barnes wasn’t starting Johnson and Springer in 10 games of their games. KC is one-and-done and the only 22 signed is , surprise, a point guard.

BHH could be a tough situation for Barnes to handle. He’s clearly not ready and has a long ways to go, but you need to make sure you play him enough so he won’t want to transfer after the season. He’s definitely good enough right now to get minutes behind Fulky and ON, but I’m not sure he’s ready for more than 10 minutes or so against good competition. He reminds me of Kyle Alexander when he first got here but a little ahead skill-wise. It’s not Barnes style to baby a player, but a guy like BHH with all the potential he has, you might have to a little in order to ensure you have him next year.

He had one sub-par game. I am not giving up on him being a vital cog for this team just yet. Not by a long shot!

Not ahead in minutes added up so far. Ahead as in how they fit when the rotation is reduced. ZZ and Powell are new comers. Right now Barnes is going with players with more experience in his system. Bailey and Uros won’t be earning more minutes as the young players develop. Johnson and Springer were brought into the mix at a measured pace. No reason why (other than KC) the other 6 newcomers don’t see similar involvement. Powell being older could advance into the rotation faster.
Bailey has been off the bench and into the game ahead of Powell and definitely Zeigler in all 3 games so far iirc…again, barring injury Bailey will be playing more than Zeigler.

Reactions: garry123
To this point BHH does not look like an early departure.

He doesn’t look NBA ready today but there are other options as well if he doesn’t develop quickly enough. I hope that he is keeping his academics up in case a possible year 2 becomes more of a possibility. Sometimes elite freshmen bail out on their education entirely after the January semester begins.

Not at all…barring injury Bailey will play more than Zeigler this year, I’d bet a pretty large amount on it.

Then read the 4th sentence again in my comment that you replied to. Maybe it will come into focus for you.

ZZ’s minutes are dependent on how many KC stays on the floor. As long as SV, JJJ, Powell, or Bailey don’t displace ZZ as the backup PG, ZZ will be one of the 1st 8. As I said, I’m not counting up the minutes. KC will be subbed with ZZ. Powell will spell SV/JJJ, and BHH will rotate with Fulk/BHH. Bailey will probably be the 9th regular unless QD or Mashack emerge quickly. Powell looks like he will be a more reliable outside shooter and has more skills.

Last edited:
We should have a good 2 man rotation, this year and next. Good news for a fanbase that has had a lot of years without a true point guard.

I think you play everyone you can. Other than with someone like Tamba, who is apparently nowhere near ready to contribute, I say play them all you can. With the transfer portal always a possibility, most guys aren't going to stick around for more than 4 years anyway, especially if they aren't getting playing time.

13 are being given opportunities right now. By January the rotation will be shorter.

Bailey has been off the bench and into the game ahead of Powell and definitely Zeigler in all 3 games so far iirc…again, barring injury Bailey will be playing more than Zeigler.

Jancek could sometimes play as many minutes as ZZ but that doesn’t make him a regular. ZZ only plays one spot and his mpg will be determined by how many KC sits. I’m defining Bailey as the likely 9th man. ZZ is the backup PG. Powell will be the backup SG/SF, and BHH will be the 3rd post player.

Bailey has been in the system for several years. Powell for several months. I’m not surprised that Bailey has entered sooner at this point of the season.

BTO ... keep up the GREAT postings ... love your balanced, thoughtful assessments!
1) ZZ is going to see his minutes climb ... he will become THE default choice to rest KC. Right now, he is still learning.
2) BHH ... is still learning ... but still playing double digit minutes! He is going to be 'off' and 'on' for a good while yet.
3) VB is steady and a known product ... he will likely settle into the 6th man role.
4) The starting team you saw against ETSU is your starting team ... the rest of the season unless we see injury, sickness, or grade/covid issues.
5) The opponents we face and the play of our starters ... will actually determine who comes off the bench first .... Vescovi/JJJ picks up quick fouls ... Bailey or Powell; Fulky/ON picks up fouls - then it is going to be BHH; KC picks up fouls ... it will be ZZ hitting the floor quickly .... everything going according to the coaches plan ... right now it will be Bailey.

Now that I’ve gotten a chance to watch the game, ON did rebound a lot better imo then he did in game 1, even if the numbers are a bit less. Hope we don’t regress to taking too many mid range shots again after an encouraging first game in that department. Chandler is outrageously good still. I’m really interested to see Mashack develop, I think he will be a good player for us as soon as next year, I hope he becomes a part of the rotation this season. Wouldn’t mind if he took some of Bailey’s minutes, I think Powell is just a better version of Bailey while Mashack brings something different, even if he’s clearly not the player Bailey is yet

Reactions: Volfanatic_20
Then read the 4th sentence again in my comment that you replied to. Maybe it will come into focus for you.

ZZ’s minutes are dependent on how many KC stays on the floor. As long as SV, JJJ, Powell, or Bailey don’t displace ZZ as the backup PG, ZZ will be one of the 1st 8. As I said, I’m not counting up the minutes. KC will be subbed with ZZ. Powell will spell SV/JJJ, and BHH will rotate with Fulk/BHH. Bailey will probably be the 9th regular unless QD or Mashack emerge quickly. Powell looks like he will be a more reliable outside shooter and has more skills.
Lol, I don’t think you understand how rotation works…if Bailey is coming on the court before Zeigler every game, and playing more minutes than Zeigler every game, then Bailey is ahead of Zeigler. Wanna bet on who plays more against Nova, Bailey it Zeigler?

Jancek could sometimes play as many minutes as ZZ but that doesn’t make him a regular. ZZ only plays one spot and his mpg will be determined by how many KC sits. I’m defining Bailey as the likely 9th man. ZZ is the backup PG. Powell will be the backup SG/SF, and BHH will be the 3rd post player.

Bailey has been in the system for several years. Powell for several months. I’m not surprised that Bailey has entered sooner at this point of the season.
Jancek also won’t play at all in just about every game, thus he’s not a regular part of the rotation. Unless you’re trying to same Bailey is going to rack up multiple DNP’s then this weird theory of yours makes no sense.

Lol, I don’t think you understand how rotation works…if Bailey is coming on the court before Zeigler every game, and playing more minutes than Zeigler every game, then Bailey is ahead of Zeigler. Wanna bet on who plays more against Nova, Bailey it Zeigler?

Good write up BTO. Really look forward to it, every game.

I am not really understanding the argument. They play different positions. I think ZZ will rest Chandler most of the time, with maybe Vescovi sometimes filling in.

Bailey is just what I would call a bonus player. Even though he is showing a little more to his game this season, he is instant offense when you need it. Certainly a player that a championship team could use, but certainly not indispensable on this particular team.

Two totally different circumstances for these players. It's not like they are interchangeable, but one is simply better than the other. ZZ's minutes may be fewer, but his presence on the team every bit as important.

Last edited:
Reactions: allen phillips

I wouldn’t expect a true freshman to play more than a 5th year senior in the 3rd game of the season.

After the dust settles:

ZZ will be the first backup at PG.

Powell will be the first backup at wing.

BHH will be the first backup at post.

There is your first 8.

Bailey will be next but could be jumped by Mashack before the season is done. There might be games where both JJJ and SV need to sit at the same time before KC, but I’d still consider ZZ part of the first 8.

Bailey’s biggest attributes are shooting and maturity. I think that Powell is a better shooter. Some of the 7 freshmen could grow up quickly.

I think that ZZ, Powell, and BHH are less likely to be losing their roles. I can see Bailey and Uros sitting more as young players develop. Powell doesn’t strike me as somebody that will regularly have 4 for 14s, 2 for 10, 1 for 12, 2 for 9, or 0 for whatever games while having 2 or fewer assists in 22 of 27 appearances.

Jancek also won’t play at all in just about every game, thus he’s not a regular part of the rotation. Unless you’re trying to same Bailey is going to rack up multiple DNP’s then this weird theory of yours makes no sense.

It’s a weird theory to think that ZZ, Powell, and BHH fill out the first 8 and that Bailey could lose out as a 9th? I don’t think that ZZ, BHH, or a shooting threat like Powell will have lesser roles as the season advances. Actually I think that their roles grow. Although ZZ could become a liability defensively and be relegsted into a lesser role… perhaps SV or Powell are forced to be the backup PGs if ZZ’s lack of height is exploited by SEC teams with large PGs. BUT, ZZ has the look of a guy that could exploit a slower, bigger defender as well.

I think that ZZ is the first backup at PG, Powell will be first at wing, and BHH at post no matter how the minutes add up. Therefore, the first 8 regulars in the eventual rotation. Bailey could remain as the 2nd wing coming off of the bench or he could lose out to Mashack or QD as the 9th man. Powell is a better shooter than Bailey and he’s bigger.

Last edited:
A big factor on not closing the deal on 22 recruits is because the opportunities aren’t as attractive minus lots of immediate attrition. Especially after Barnes wasn’t starting Johnson and Springer in 10 games of their games. KC is one-and-done and the only 22 signed is , surprise, a point guard.
Who in the post was scaring off any top 25 players, this summer? Who was scaring off Cason Wallace so much, in fact, that he chose to go to UK to compete with a half dozen 5* players at his position?

I wouldn’t expect a true freshman to play more than a 5th year senior in the 3rd game of the season.

After the dust settles:

ZZ will be the first backup at PG.

Powell will be the first backup at wing.

BHH will be the first backup at post.

There is your first 8.

Bailey will be next but could be jumped by Mashack before the season is done. There might be games where both JJJ and SV need to sit at the same time before KC, but I’d still consider ZZ part of the first 8.

Bailey’s biggest attributes are shooting and maturity. I think that Powell is a better shooter. Some of the 7 freshmen could grow up quickly.

I think that ZZ, Powell, and BHH are less likely to be losing their roles. I can see Bailey and Uros sitting more as young players develop. Powell doesn’t strike me as somebody that will regularly have 4 for 14s, 2 for 10, 1 for 12, 2 for 9, or 0 for whatever games while having 2 or fewer assists in 22 of 27 appearances.
If Vescovi is playing PG when Chandler gets a breather and either Powell or Bailey enter the game then there’s really no leg to stand on trying to argue Zeigler is being ahead of those guys. At the end of the year we will look at games played and minutes played…I’m betting Zeigler has multiple DNP’s while Bailey appears and every game and plays more minutes than Zeigler, and probably not a close number either.

I broke it down the other day, Powell was actually more inconsistent than Bailey when it comes to shooting last year…funny to see how differently that narrative is perceived though.

It’s a weird theory to think that ZZ, Powell, and BHH fill out the first 8 and that Bailey could lose out as a 9th? I don’t think that ZZ, BHH, or a shooting threat like Powell will have lesser roles as the season advances. Actually I think that their roles grow. Although ZZ could become a liability defensively and be relegsted into a lesser role… perhaps SV or Powell are forced to be the backup PGs if ZZ’s lack of height is exploited by SEC teams with large PGs. BUT, ZZ has the look of a guy that could exploit a slower, bigger defender as well.

I think that ZZ is the first backup at PG, Powell will be first at wing, and BHH at post no matter how the minutes add up. Therefore, the first 8 regulars in the eventual rotation. Bailey could remain as the 2nd wing coming off of the bench or he could lose out to Mashack or QD as the 9th man. Powell is a better shooter than Bailey and he’s bigger.
Your whole regulars is such a weird statement, if Bailey is playing every single game and more minutes than Zeigler how does that not make him a “regular” but makes Zeigler a regular?

Bailey has a pattern of continuing to shoot when he’s off. There are many examples of him missing 8, 9, 10 or more shots.

Your whole regulars is such a weird statement, if Bailey is playing every single game and more minutes than Zeigler how does that not make him a “regular” but makes Zeigler a regular?

Bailey being more of a regular than ZZ will be dependent of Vescovi being a better option to spell KC. I think that it’s more likely to keep SV at the off guard with ZZ as the first option (and a regular) at backup PG.

Not sure why you’d have ZZ and also Powell to a lesser extent ahead of Bailey, you used minutes played as evidence for Zeigler but yet Bailey has more minutes than Powell or ZZ.

Your 5 is KC, SV, JJ, ON & Fulky

Bailey, Powell & BHH are clear first 3 off the bench in some order, giving you 8.

Zeigler & Uros 9&10 abs depending on matchup their minutes will vary.

Mashack and Aidoo could see their minutes increase as the season moves forward.

I think Aidoo eventually replaces Plavsic in the rotation.

Bailey has a pattern of continuing to shoot when he’s off. There are many examples of him missing 8, 9, 10 or more shots.
1. Powell had a 1/8 game during his abbreviated season last year.

2. I’ve already made mention that Bailey appears much more selective so far this year, albeit a small sample size. If that holds true then I see him continuing to get minutes, that was an area he had to improve.

3. This isn’t about Powell vs. Bailey, both guys are going to play…and both will play more than Zeigler, THAT is the point.

Bailey being more of a regular than ZZ will be dependent of Vescovi being a better option to spell KC. I think that it’s more likely to keep SV at the off guard with ZZ as the first option (and a regular) at backup PG.
even if Zeigler backs up Chandler it doesn’t just automatically make him more “regular”…if Zeigler plays in 30 games averages 8-9mpg, and Bailey play in 30 games averaging 19mpg there’s literally no discussion who was where in the rotation.

VN Store

Back