BTO’s ETSU Postgame Report

But he is surrounded by alternatives. He needs to avoid those 1 for 12 shooting performances, play excellent defense, and be a leader. SV, JJJ, and Powell are ahead of him (and maybe ZZ when on the court with KC) and there’s not necessarily a huge gap between Bailey and Mashack/QD. Plus TN can go with 3 bigs since they all are versatile and not pure low post/centers.
Through 2 games and an exhibition Bailey has gotten more minutes than Powell and Zeigler in all 3…not sure how you get that those guys are ahead of Bailey in the rotation?

Seems like ZZ’s kind of the PG in waiting with KC likely to be a one-and-done. He needs minutes this year so he’ll be ready to play big minutes next year. Especially early.

Right now the basketball redshirt rule after limited play will not mirror the 4 appearance football rule. It would be a gamble to roll the dice for a rule change with retroactive application (with Mayshack, QD, and/or Aidoo). Tamba is looking like the only planned redshirt. But Barnes is well connected and likely knows if a redshirt rule change is possible.
I've heard his primary ties are to the shot clock rules guys and not as strong with redshirt rules guys.

Kwe Parker. He had 7x double digit games in the first half of 2016-17 but only did that once in the back half.

Barnes is almost forced to have a deep rotation of regulars this year. Too much talent to go all Corey Walker or DJ Burns on anybody. We need to keep the freshmen engaged as they all should have big roles as graduation and KC/BHH early departures materialize. This freshman class doesn’t look like one that will be recruited over and is probably why the 2022 class currently sits at just one player.
I agree on this freshman class, but let's be honest about the 22 class. It sits at one player because we couldn't close the deal on about a half dozen others. It hasn't been entirely by choice or design.

Now, I will concede that it does likely sit at one, absent any unknown/project players, perhaps, by design, but at the same time, we seem willing (perhaps pushing) to add Angel Montas in the fall period, and I think he'd fall in that category.

Reactions: 67Vol
Kwe Parker. He had 7x double digit games in the first half of 2016-17 but only did that once in the back half.

Barnes is almost forced to have a deep rotation of regulars this year. Too much talent to go all Corey Walker or DJ Burns on anybody. We need to keep the freshmen engaged as they all should have big roles as graduation and KC/BHH early departures materialize. This freshman class doesn’t look like one that will be recruited over and is probably why the 2022 class currently sits at just one player.
To this point BHH does not look like an early departure.

That was the crazy part, obviously some of those missed we got rebounds on and scored still, but shoot a decent number around the rim and our offensive numbers look ridiculous in that game. And yes on BHH, gotta be better around the basket, I worry how he’ll fare against more physical front courts.
Nova not known for their interior D so we should have plenty of opportunities.

BHH could be a tough situation for Barnes to handle. He’s clearly not ready and has a long ways to go, but you need to make sure you play him enough so he won’t want to transfer after the season. He’s definitely good enough right now to get minutes behind Fulky and ON, but I’m not sure he’s ready for more than 10 minutes or so against good competition. He reminds me of Kyle Alexander when he first got here but a little ahead skill-wise. It’s not Barnes style to baby a player, but a guy like BHH with all the potential he has, you might have to a little in order to ensure you have him next year.

Reactions: 67Vol
BHH could be a tough situation for Barnes to handle. He’s clearly not ready and has a long ways to go, but you need to make sure you play him enough so he won’t want to transfer after the season. He’s definitely good enough right now to get minutes behind Fulky and ON, but I’m not sure he’s ready for more than 10 minutes or so against good competition. He reminds me of Kyle Alexander when he first got here but a little ahead skill-wise. It’s not Barnes style to baby a player, but a guy like BHH with all the potential he has, you might have to a little in order to ensure you have him next year.
People were saying BHH should start over ON, I’m not sure how anyone watches that game yesterday and still comes to that conclusion.

Those people are the star gazers.
No, those people have watched Nkamhoua play for two seasons and likely assumed it wasn't outside the realm of possibility that a top-10 player in his class with the physical gifts that BHH possesses could/should likely unseat a career 2.9 ppg/1.4 rpg player.

That isn't star-gazing, and BHH hasn't played poorly, either. He has just been outplayed by Nkamhoua, who is more than 3 years older, and has made serious strides in the offseason.

No, those people have watched Nkamhoua play for two seasons and likely assumed it wasn't outside the realm of possibility that a top-10 player in his class with the physical gifts that BHH possesses could/should likely unseat a career 2.9 ppg/1.4 rpg player.

That isn't star-gazing, and BHH hasn't played poorly, either. He has just been outplayed by Nkamhoua, who is more than 3 years older, and has made serious strides in the offseason.

But before declaring it stupid to start ON over BHH wouldn’t it have been wise to at least watch both play a game or two and see if the reports from all offseason were accurate?

But before declaring it stupid to start ON over BHH wouldn’t it have been wise to at least watch both play a game or two and see if the reports from all offseason were accurate?
Well, sure. It isn't wise to make any sort of definitive declaration without knowing all the facts, but I won't blame anyone for believing BHH would be the better option to start the season. Offseason hype is generally just that; hype, and we have seen it come to fruition far too infrequently to just automatically assume it's gospel truth.

Clearly, in this case, it wasn't entirely off-base, and we can only hope it continues. The team, and ON and BHH are far better off with there being competition for that spot and those minutes, and no one is actively cheering for either player to fail in hopes of "being right".

Reactions: i2amavol
BHH is so physically gifted, it‘s obvious. Watched him yesterday stand flat-footed and easily grab rebounds twice over ETSU’s big men. The frustrating part to me is that BHH is playing in very short spurts, and it’s hard to get rhythm and timing, etc. It certainly doesn’t appear he exerts great effort, so that’s not going to earn more minutes. Imagine BHH’s skills combined with Tshiebwe’s aggressiveness.

BHH is so physically gifted, it‘s obvious. Watched him yesterday stand flat-footed and easily grab rebounds twice over ETSU’s big men. The frustrating part to me is that BHH is playing in very short spurts, and it’s hard to get rhythm and timing, etc. It certainly doesn’t appear he exerts great effort, so that’s not going to earn more minutes. Imagine BHH’s skills combined with Tshiebwe’s aggressiveness.

His aggressiveness will come when the game starts slowing down for him. He's a brand new freshman, very young and inexperienced. Adjustments to all of this new stuff for him will take a little time. By conference play, I'm betting we'll forget his current unsureness.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Well, sure. It isn't wise to make any sort of definitive declaration without knowing all the facts, but I won't blame anyone for believing BHH would be the better option to start the season. Offseason hype is generally just that; hype, and we have seen it come to fruition far too infrequently to just automatically assume it's gospel truth.

Clearly, in this case, it wasn't entirely off-base, and we can only hope it continues. The team, and ON and BHH are far better off with there being competition for that spot and those minutes, and no one is actively cheering for either player to fail in hopes of "being right".
And recruiting “hype” is lots of times “just hype”. Especially for a guy that should be a high school senior right now. I was hoping BHH would be further along and would a big time player too. But I also heard that ON was killing it during the off-season. I’m thinking both will have impactful season, with BHH being towards the end of the season as his game acclimates to major college ball. I wasnt ragging on anyone. But at the same time lots of people see a 5 star ranking and instantly put pressure on a 17 year old kid to be the next big thing. Hubbs was a 5 star too (he’s better than Hubbs). I’d rather people give a kid a chance to grow and get better before declaring them something, only to say they are a disappointment if they don’t live up to whatever lofty expectations are put on the kid. But like you said, I understand why fans would think the way they did. And I have a feeling BHH will be an impactful player at some point this year.

And recruiting “hype” is lots of times “just hype”. Especially for a guy that should be a high school senior right now. I was hoping BHH would be further along and would a big time player too. But I also heard that ON was killing it during the off-season. I’m thinking both will have impactful season, with BHH being towards the end of the season as his game acclimates to major college ball. I wasnt ragging on anyone. But at the same time lots of people see a 5 star ranking and instantly put pressure on a 17 year old kid to be the next big thing. Hubbs was a 5 star too (he’s better than Hubbs). I’d rather people give a kid a chance to grow and get better before declaring them something, only to say they are a disappointment if they don’t live up to whatever lofty expectations are put on the kid. But like you said, I understand why fans would think the way they did. And I have a feeling BHH will be an impactful player at some point this year.
That's all fine and well. I just take exception with the blanket statement that anyone who believed that BHH would be starting over ON is a simple-minded stargazer.

And I don't necessarily even count myself as someone who believed BHH was the automatic starter, at least early on in the season as Barnes clearly values experience and trust in almost every case.

In many instances, the stargazer angle is very accurate, but for others who understand the game and have two years of evidence of ON on the court as evidence, they arrive at the idea a bit more logically.

Reactions: TMvol10
16/34 from around the rim... got to be better than that. Maybe Fulk needs to kick off some dust. BHH is a freshman and will probably be inconsistent but he needs to be better against a team like ETSU. That was the only obvious downside I saw today, but I’m not really worried about it. I’m feeling pretty good about pulling out at least one win this weekend.

I thought BHH was timid, and really doing terrible, but I looked at his stats at some point, and they weren't bad at all. So, if that was his worst game of the year...not bad at all, I guess.

I will add here that I think it will be very interesting to see how KC handles playing against really good point guards. Hopefully, he takes it all in stride, and I really expect that he will.

Not sure why you’d have ZZ and also Powell to a lesser extent ahead of Bailey, you used minutes played as evidence for Zeigler but yet Bailey has more minutes than Powell or ZZ.

Your 5 is KC, SV, JJ, ON & Fulky

Bailey, Powell & BHH are clear first 3 off the bench in some order, giving you 8.

Zeigler & Uros 9&10 abs depending on matchup their minutes will vary.

I doubt that ZZ’s minutes decrease. He’ll be the guy that takes over as KC sits most of the time. Vescovi is more productive as a 2. I don’t expect ZZ to grab lots more minutes, but that’s not how I’d define regulars. I think he’ll continue being about the 3rd or 4th guy off of the bench in every game… hence one of 8 regulars.

Powell is still new and learning the system. He looks like he’ll be a much better fit than Bailey. I doubt that he’s ever be 2 for 10. And he seems to recognize more quickly whether to look at the basket or keep the ball rotating.

KC/ZZ
SV/Powell
JJJ/Powell
2 posts from: Fulk/ORN/BHH

There’s your first 8.

Bailey has to stay ahead of Mashack and QD and I don’t think that Bailey takes minutes from Powell, Vescovi, or JJJ. Also he loses opportunities if TN goes with 3 bigs and 2 guards.

Minutes so far isn’t really relevant. ZZ is a true point guard and TN’s offense works better with that than with a less skilled combo guard running it.

Uros is starting now but with ORN improved, Fulk back, and BHH’s potential I think that UP will be averaging 11th or below in minutes per game.

Are you more sure now?

Seems like ZZ’s kind of the PG in waiting with KC likely to be a one-and-done. He needs minutes this year so he’ll be ready to play big minutes next year. Especially early.

Right now the basketball redshirt rule after limited play will not mirror the 4 appearance football rule. It would be a gamble to roll the dice for a rule change with retroactive application (with Mayshack, QD, and/or Aidoo). Tamba is looking like the only planned redshirt. But Barnes is well connected and likely knows if a redshirt rule change is possible.

We should have a good 2 man rotation, this year and next. Good news for a fanbase that has had a lot of years without a true point guard.

I think you play everyone you can. Other than with someone like Tamba, who is apparently nowhere near ready to contribute, I say play them all you can. With the transfer portal always a possibility, most guys aren't going to stick around for more than 4 years anyway, especially if they aren't getting playing time.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I doubt that ZZ’s minutes decrease. He’ll be the guy that takes over as KC sits most of the time. Vescovi is more productive as a 2. I don’t expect ZZ to grab lots more minutes, but that’s not how I’d define regulars. I think he’ll continue being about the 3rd or 4th guy off of the bench in every game… hence one of 8 regulars.

Powell is still new and learning the system. He looks like he’ll be a much better fit than Bailey. I doubt that he’s ever be 2 for 10. And he seems to recognize more quickly whether to look at the basket or keep the ball rotating.

KC/ZZ
SV/Powell
JJJ/Powell
2 posts from: Fulk/ORN/BHH

There’s your first 8.

Bailey has to stay ahead of Mashack and QD and I don’t think that Bailey takes minutes from Powell, Vescovi, or JJJ. Also he loses opportunities if TN goes with 3 bigs and 2 guards.

Minutes so far isn’t really relevant. ZZ is a true point guard and TN’s offense works better with that than with a less skilled combo guard running it.

Uros is starting now but with ORN improved, Fulk back, and BHH’s potential I think that UP will be averaging 11th or below in minutes per game.

Are you more sure now?
Not at all…barring injury Bailey will play more than Zeigler this year, I’d bet a pretty large amount on it.

I thought BHH was timid, and really doing terrible, but I looked at his stats at some point, and they weren't bad at all. So, if that was his worst game of the year...not bad at all, I guess.

I will add here that I think it will be very interesting to see how KC handles playing against really good point guards. Hopefully, he takes it all in stride, and I really expect that he will.
He was 0/4 from the floor including 3 right under the basket. At least he was 3/4 from the line. If he can keep grabbing boards, he’ll at least get fouled a lot I think so hitting from the stripe will help a lot

24 minutes in 2 games and loads of pre-season praise by Barnes. He looks like he’ll be part of the rotation.

13 out of 14 have played and there is a boat load of talent at 11, 12, and 13 (Mayshack. QD, and Aidoo). There might be a lot of games this year with 11 or 12 players getting minutes that aren’t just end of game garbage time/mop up duty.

I think you are right. There will be a primary 8 or 9, but others should get some spot minutes too. I for one, believe that Uros may be absent from certain games, but will average 5 minutes anyway. His offense, if nothing else, seems vastly improved from last year.

As for Aidoo, it is unfortunate the timing of his illness. It is hard to guess if he can work his way back into playing time or not. He probably needs to show out in practice, if he is to get into the rotation in any useful way.

Through 2 games and an exhibition Bailey has gotten more minutes than Powell and Zeigler in all 3…not sure how you get that those guys are ahead of Bailey in the rotation?

Not ahead in minutes added up so far. Ahead as in how they fit when the rotation is reduced. ZZ and Powell are new comers. Right now Barnes is going with players with more experience in his system. Bailey and Uros won’t be earning more minutes as the young players develop. Johnson and Springer were brought into the mix at a measured pace. No reason why (other than KC) the other 6 newcomers don’t see similar involvement. Powell being older could advance into the rotation faster.

Reactions: johnfnkelly

VN Store

Back