Bruce Pearl & Candace Parker

Pearl lied about a BBQ. Not sure how people can hate him for that. NCAA hung him out to dry for basically nothing.
You are correct, basically nothing. Owning up to it would have been a slap on the wrist whereas lying is the 3rd rail. He made a huge mistake and sunk his own ship, for basically nothing, and took us all down with him. Thats the way I look at it, and I was a big fan.

Haha, right.
I don’t hate the guy, I’m sick of Vol fans drooling over him the last 13 years, especially in light of the consistent success the current coach has had. I’m sick of him still talking about how UT could have stood by him and not fired him, even though they’d get a show cause. To answer your question, thiugh, no. I have never lied to my boss nor made my subordinates lie. I also didn’t call a high school kid and his parents and ask them to lie. I didn’t get shown a picture of me in my own home and lie about it. No.
More to it then just the cookout lie or he wouldn't have got a 3 year show cause. He set UT basketball back several years. Tyndall then Martin and if Texas hadn't fired Barnes we would of had to hire another mid major coach! Pearl was no savior for UT basketball. I'm sick of hearing about his lying ass!!!

Both were gushing over Tennessee's win over Creighton, Bruce "GO VOLS" and Parker told Bruce "Don't be humble, You were the one who brought Tennessee Men's Basketball back to Prominence" (Paraphrased) Surreal Moment....... Deep down, Pearl Is a VOL.

Their shout-out to Chris Lofton really made me smile!
Big game today - hope they're both back being Vol homers

Go Vols!!

It was more than just “lying about a BBQ”

He told the recruits and their parents to lie to the NCAA if they were ever questioned. That means he knew he was willfully flouting rules rather than just accidentally breaking them.

There was also the fact that he still went through with the lie even after the NCAA showed him PHOTO EVIDENCE. What kind of idiot allows himself to be photographed doing something he knows is not allowed?

And he also made illegal contact with a recruit during a dead period, during the investigation. That certainly didn’t help his case.

And for the cherry on top, he was a repeat offender. Add it all together and that’s how you get to a 3 year show cause.
I know. My point was more that it’s not like he was setting up fake classes for the players for years or hiring them prostitutes like some other coaches…That never got a show cause

What did Pearl do that's enabled Barnes to have the program where it is?

I don't like Bruce, but I'd have run through a wall for him when he was coach here. You can't downplay the importance of marketing and branding. That affects how much screentime the networks give you, the overall attitude recruits have for you, how much energy the fans bring. Bruce let the world know what was possible here.

I know. My point was more that it’s not like he was setting up fake classes for the players for years or hiring them prostitutes like some other coaches…That never got a show cause

True, and we should all be furious by the inconsistency of NCAA punishments. Bruce deserved to be punished, but man, the stuff some schools and coaches have gotten away with is ridiculous.

I don't like Bruce, but I'd have run through a wall for him when he was coach here. You can't downplay the importance of marketing and branding. That affects how much screentime the networks give you, the overall attitude recruits have for you, how much energy the fans bring. Bruce let the world know what was possible here.
So did Mears and to some extent DeVoe and Green. By the time Barnes arrived, any benefit from Pearl's term had already evaporated.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckInAPen
So did Mears and to some extent DeVoe and Green. By the time Barnes arrived, and benefit from Pearl's term had already evaporated.

Nah. Counzo floundered, but he was a play away from an elite 8. Tyndall was worse than Bruce as far as cheating goes, but his brand was exciting. And Tennessee's marketing department has been incredible the last decade.

Nah. Counzo floundered, but he was a play away from an elite 8. Tyndall was worse than Bruce as far as cheating goes, but his brand was exciting. And Tennessee's marketing department has been incredible the last decade.
Which leads back to my initial question.

VN Store

Back