Bruce Pearl & Candace Parker

What are the complaints about Barnes? Lol. This exact “quip” that appears ad nauseam every single year, which is exhausting to have to listen to annually.

Just look around after our SEC tournament loss to Miss State. Between Vol Nation and social media, people were blasting “March Rick” again for “choking.” Sure, now we can all laugh at after these past few weeks, but it’s easy to say that now after the fact.

People aren’t mouthbreathers for pointing out how ridiculous it is that the night Barnes took us to an E8 there is still a sizable portion spending more time talking about Pearl than our actual coach.

Why is it annoying? Because Barnes has been average in March. However, this year has been different and he is owed a lot of credit for it because he built this team and roster over the last 3 years to be mature and talented. And he finally landed his alpha in DK that he hasn't had since he was at Texas with Durant.

But the fact of the matter is that Barnes has made Tennessee a perennial NCAAT team that doesn't have to rely on the "bubble watch" year in and year out. This is glorious. I am one of those folks that think Barnes should be given whatever he wants for however long he wants it because he has stabilized the program while giving us a plethora of opportunities to take the the program to new highs.

Pointing out that his one weaker part of his record is in March is not some slight. I know more times than not that Rick Barnes isn't going to be a consistent Elite 8 - Final Four coach.... This isn't some slight. It is just acknowledging historical trends. With that said, there is only one way to exceed his average and he is DOING IT THIS YEAR.

And regarding your last point..... One of the main commentators for TV coverage this tourney is one of our greatest women's basketball players in school history in Candace Parker.... Why are people getting hung up with the fact that Auburn is out of the tourney, Pearl has free time and just happens to be the only coach in UT History to take us to the Elite 8 going into our Sweet 16 game vs Cry'ton? Candace represents Tennessee gloriously day in and day out. Pearl showed nothing but class last night on TV talking about us and even getting told to his face he no longer has most wins in the tourney as Barnes got #9....

I'm pretty sure Pearl knows exactly how big of a deal it is to make the Elite 8 at Tennessee and what it means to the fans and program..... Much better than any other coach or pundit on TV.

Pearl is getting talked about more than our actual coach who just made the Elite Eight.

I’m shocked I tell you…

And why is he getting talked about a lot? Because he was on TV since his team is out of the Tourney the night we had our Sweet 16 game next to one of our greatest Women's players in school history..... Getting to provide context about what Tennessee going to the Elite 8 means to the state and school is probably going to get articulated best by someone who has done prior to this year's Sweet 16.

Reactions: 007Racer
People that hate Bruce Pearl just suck as people and life would be happier if you removed such people from your life. Haters always hate no matter what.
Pearl lied about a BBQ. Not sure how people can hate him for that. NCAA hung him out to dry for basically nothing.

If we only held politicians to this scrutiny.
Some of us do, or we try with our vote( if by scrutiny you mean having standards of honesty and accountability).but it’s two different things. This is sports. It’s not life or death. Not liking a player or coach from a sports standpoint is part of fandom. I have no personal ill will towards him, but I’m not going to be a fan of any coach that’s isn’t my coach, especially a league competitor. Also, I’m not holding him to scrutiny. I simply stated the facts of what happened. I’m not saying he shouldn’t have a job. Not saying he should be in jail. I’m saying he got fired for more than “just a bbq”. Sorry, it’s just the facts of what happened. I didn’t do it. I didn’t make him do it. I didn’t fire him, either. I’m just stating the facts of why he got fired. Not sure why it’s so scandalous and you all are acting like there are people wishing harm on the man.

Last edited:
Bruce was beating out the dirtiest programs and the dirtiest coaches for recruits. That's why he was lying. We all know Craft and the BBQ wasn't the only time he bent the rules...

I have no ill will towards him. He knew he couldn't get away with Cal, Pitino, Calhoun, Self level of cheating so he tried to cover it up with lying....

His mistake was not having a fall guy like these other coaches.

Reactions: orchidvol
Both were gushing over Tennessee's win over Creighton, Bruce "GO VOLS" and Parker told Bruce "Don't be humble, You were the one who brought Tennessee Men's Basketball back to Prominence" (Paraphrased) Surreal Moment....... Deep down, Pearl Is a VOL.

His comments, body language, and emotion all point to this being 100% correct.

“has knowingly engaged in or condoned significant or repetitive violation(s) of NCAA regulations”

Nice of you to allow me to be entitled to an opinion - even when you make douchey comments mocking it.
easily offended?

I should have just passed on commenting your OP tin hat blame game BP enabling nonsense.

As for who got pulled into who's investigation that's not really in doubt, at least not according to the NCAA Infraction report. The basketball staff had been reported in April 2009 for impermissible contact which brought them to the Hill. Granted LK had some self-reported violations but it wasn't those that brought the NCAA knocking, it was our review of the basketball phone records.

From NCAA report: The institution began a review of men's basketball telephone records in May 2009 after being informed by the NCAA that it had received reports of potential rules violations in the program. Initially the review was limited to a single prospect, but as violations were uncovered the investigation expanded to include a full review of records. Ninety-four impermissible calls were discovered, with all but 10 of them made by the former head men's basketball coach or former assistant coach 1. Thirty-three of the impermissible calls were made to five of the prospects in violation of the "one call per week" rule, while the 61 calls to the other seven prospects violated Bylaw 13.1.3.1.2, the rule that allows coaches to make a monthly call to high school juniors. Forty-four of the 61 impermissible monthly calls to high school juniors were made to the same prospective student-athlete ("prospect 4").

In April 2010 the enforcement staff received a photo from an anonymous source of the former head men's basketball coach and prospect 1 taken in the former head men's basketball coach's home during the September 2008 dinner. It touched off an investigation and led to an interview of the former head men's basketball coach and the three former assistant coaches on June 14, 2010. During his interview, the former head men's basketball coach provided false and misleading information to the institution and the NCAA enforcement staff when he denied knowledge of the location where the photograph was taken, even though the photo had been taken in the kitchen of his home. He also provided false and misleading information when he denied knowing the identity of another individual depicted in the photograph. That individual was the wife of former assistant coach 3. His false statements constituted violations of Bylaw 10.1-(d).

The enforcement staff and the institution were in agreement with the facts of this finding and that those facts constituted violations of NCAA legislation. The former head men's basketball coach is in agreement with the facts regarding the September 20, 2008, dinner and his provision of false or misleading information in his June 14, 2010, interview, but he denied that he attempted to influence the father of prospect 1 when the former head men's basketball coach called him on June 14. The committee finds that the violations occurred.

None of the above supports a case that BP got caught up in some LK bs.

Again nothing in the contract section you posted, states or implies a zero tolerance policy on NCAA violations, no matter how hard you try to read between the lines. BP may have panicked but more likely because he knew he had been caught in a lie. BP and his staff all provided similar false and misleading statements regarding the event, that indicates to me that it was a deliberate attempt to deceive, not some I panicked random spur of moment thing.

Need to drop your blame game nonsense. What happen to BP is on BP and no one else. And I am done commenting on this, it is OLD NEWS.

1711888612528.png

Reactions: OrangeInKy
Pearl lied about a BBQ. Not sure how people can hate him for that. NCAA hung him out to dry for basically nothing.
It was more than just “lying about a BBQ”

He told the recruits and their parents to lie to the NCAA if they were ever questioned. That means he knew he was willfully flouting rules rather than just accidentally breaking them.

There was also the fact that he still went through with the lie even after the NCAA showed him PHOTO EVIDENCE. What kind of idiot allows himself to be photographed doing something he knows is not allowed?

And he also made illegal contact with a recruit during a dead period, during the investigation. That certainly didn’t help his case.

And for the cherry on top, he was a repeat offender. Add it all together and that’s how you get to a 3 year show cause.

easily offended?

I should have just passed on commenting your OP tin hat blame game BP enabling nonsense.

As for who got pulled into who's investigation that's not really in doubt, at least not according to the NCAA Infraction report. The basketball staff had been reported in April 2009 for impermissible contact which brought them to the Hill. Granted LK had some self-reported violations but it wasn't those that brought the NCAA knocking, it was our review of the basketball phone records.

From NCAA report: The institution began a review of men's basketball telephone records in May 2009 after being informed by the NCAA that it had received reports of potential rules violations in the program. Initially the review was limited to a single prospect, but as violations were uncovered the investigation expanded to include a full review of records. Ninety-four impermissible calls were discovered, with all but 10 of them made by the former head men's basketball coach or former assistant coach 1. Thirty-three of the impermissible calls were made to five of the prospects in violation of the "one call per week" rule, while the 61 calls to the other seven prospects violated Bylaw 13.1.3.1.2, the rule that allows coaches to make a monthly call to high school juniors. Forty-four of the 61 impermissible monthly calls to high school juniors were made to the same prospective student-athlete ("prospect 4").

In April 2010 the enforcement staff received a photo from an anonymous source of the former head men's basketball coach and prospect 1 taken in the former head men's basketball coach's home during the September 2008 dinner. It touched off an investigation and led to an interview of the former head men's basketball coach and the three former assistant coaches on June 14, 2010. During his interview, the former head men's basketball coach provided false and misleading information to the institution and the NCAA enforcement staff when he denied knowledge of the location where the photograph was taken, even though the photo had been taken in the kitchen of his home. He also provided false and misleading information when he denied knowing the identity of another individual depicted in the photograph. That individual was the wife of former assistant coach 3. His false statements constituted violations of Bylaw 10.1-(d).

The enforcement staff and the institution were in agreement with the facts of this finding and that those facts constituted violations of NCAA legislation. The former head men's basketball coach is in agreement with the facts regarding the September 20, 2008, dinner and his provision of false or misleading information in his June 14, 2010, interview, but he denied that he attempted to influence the father of prospect 1 when the former head men's basketball coach called him on June 14. The committee finds that the violations occurred.

None of the above supports a case that BP got caught up in some LK bs.

Again nothing in the contract section you posted, states or implies a zero tolerance policy on NCAA violations, no matter how hard you try to read between the lines. BP may have panicked but more likely because he knew he had been caught in a lie. BP and his staff all provided similar false and misleading statements regarding the event, that indicates to me that it was a deliberate attempt to deceive, not some I panicked random spur of moment thing.

Need to drop your blame game nonsense. What happen to BP is on BP and no one else. And I am done commenting on this, it is OLD NEWS.

View attachment 631031

Did you stay up all night writing your blather?

I’d pick it apart, but I have better options.

It was more than just “lying about a BBQ”

He told the recruits and their parents to lie to the NCAA if they were ever questioned. That means he knew he was willfully flouting rules rather than just accidentally breaking them.

There was also the fact that he still went through with the lie even after the NCAA showed him PHOTO EVIDENCE. What kind of idiot allows himself to be photographed doing something he knows is not allowed?

And he also made illegal contact with a recruit during a dead period, during the investigation. That certainly didn’t help his case.

And for the cherry on top, he was a repeat offender. Add it all together and that’s how you get to a 3 year show cause.
same idiot who logs impermissible phone calls

My personal opinion is that we swing for the fences with the same or more money that Barnes is making as a starting point. There are a couple coaches who would command that and would be more accomplished than Barnes was when we hired him.

I would kill to land someone like Scott Drew when Barnes decides it’s time to retire.
The money would depend on the candidate. If our pick is making 700K today, why offer 5M if 1.5M will get him?

VN Store

Back