Bruce Feldman Tweet about Tennessee...

There is a difference between “thinking outside the box” and pure delusion.

Wow I bet you are real fun to be around. No one can toss any ideas around except for those you deem “Worthy”. Take it EZ man.

Reactions: Tombo7
So crazy scenario. We fire Pruitt and pay him the buyout. We hire Gus for cheap with incentives to come here. He has no mitigation clause with Auburn so they basically pay our coach. We get an upgrade in coaching while saving money.

I’ll see myself out now

Nice crazy idea. Offer him an incentive only contract. Say $500K per win (easy $4M), East title another $1M. With a real good year he could knock down $14-$15M next year

Reactions: DougAtkins91
Well the fans do not decide who the coaches will be...If that were the case Jon Gruden would be roaming our sidelines right now and we would be getting ready for the rematch with Alabama in the SEC title game....A man can dream.
And Hired before Butch! Trevor Lawrence, and Higgins comes to Tennessee the Pirate as O.C. and with Gruden as QB coach and the ghost of buddy ryan as DC!

Speak for yourself please...

Pre-2020 UT football generated $96.1 million dollars in profit, Auburn football generated $95.1 million dollars in profit.

Then get off your haunches and go buy some quality play!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to say this but, Tennessee and their fans are very frugal!!! And it’s a big problem in the hiring of our coaches. Always has been.
Frugal? You sure about that??

I think UT fans spend plenty supporting the Vols. What makes you think Otherwise?

Reactions: sierraorange
I hate to say this but, Tennessee and their fans are very frugal!!! And it’s a big problem in the hiring of our coaches. Always has been.
How is that?!?...Last time I looked the stadium "Pre covid" was packed with a lot of people wearing orange and white...Which means they spent a TON of money to wear that orange and white and to watch the team wearing orange and white that day...Coaches DO NOT CARE WHAT THE FANS THINK!!!!...Trust me offer me 5 million a year and I'll laugh at every single one of you bitching and moaning about how bad the team is playing...Getting good coaches has only been a problem because UT doesn't want to spend the money in making the football program better because of why???...People STILL packing the stadium and wearing orange and white and buying over priced beer and soda and popcorn and hotdogs...You just really do not get it do you?...You really don't.

How is that?!?...Last time I looked the stadium "Pre covid" was packed with a lot of people wearing orange and white...Which means they spent a TON of money to wear that orange and white and to watch the team wearing orange and white that day...Coaches DO NOT CARE WHAT THE FANS THINK!!!!...Trust me offer me 5 million a year and I'll laugh at every single one of you bitching and moaning about how bad the team is playing...Getting good coaches has only been a problem because UT doesn't want to spend the money in making the football program better because of why???...People STILL packing the stadium and wearing orange and white and buying over priced beer and soda and popcorn and hotdogs...You just really do not get it do you?...You really don't.

Compare our coffers to Bama, LSU and UF and you will see the difference.

Reading through this thread is a trip. It shows how little posters really know, even those who speak with such authority. Anybody that believes snything posted on VN needs to contact me because I got some land in Florida I’d like to sell you.

Reactions: Skippy95
Compare our coffers to Bama, LSU and UF and you will see the difference.

Those schools actually field good teams and have had a lot of success over the last decade. They have a national brand that brings in new fans due to their relevance. Outside of the state of Tennessee very few people care about UT football. Anytime UT is on a national broadcast, they’re getting blown out. UT is poorly represented in the NFL - Kamara barely acknowledges he went to UT. The perception of UT football is currently that of a loser program outside of TN or by casual fans. That’s the sad reality of it and until we actually start putting a competitive product on the field it’s not going to change.

No, it doesn’t make any sense. In fact, it makes ZERO sense.

The Auburn money is in the bank. If Gus coaches again, it will only be for fair market value. The man isn’t going to coach for free...or peanuts.

Where do you folks get these ideas?

Looks like I wasn’t the only person who thought Gus might take less pay or a heavy incentive laden deal.

According to Al.com, the deal that Gus just signed is a 2.3 million per year. This is a heavily inventive based deal.

“His contract with UCF, where he was introduced as head coach Monday afternoon, includes $500,000 in base salary with $1.8 million in media and speaking engagements, as well as endorsement rights. It also includes up to $500,000 in incentives per year, with bonuses for academic achievements -- including team GPA above 3.0 and a single-year APR of 980 or higher -- and performance-based incentives. The on-field bonuses include playing in the AAC title game, winning the AAC championship, earning a bowl berth, an appearance in a New Year’s Six bowl game, a College Football Playoff appearance, winning a bowl game, winning the CFP national championship, completing an undefeated season, top-25, top-15 and top-10 finishes in the CFP standings, as well as bonuses for winning conference or national coach of the year honors.”

So I was not as delusional thought.

Looks like I wasn’t the only person who thought Gus might take less pay or a heavy incentive laden deal.

According to Al.com, the deal that Gus just signed is a 2.3 million per year. This is a heavily inventive based deal.

“His contract with UCF, where he was introduced as head coach Monday afternoon, includes $500,000 in base salary with $1.8 million in media and speaking engagements, as well as endorsement rights. It also includes up to $500,000 in incentives per year, with bonuses for academic achievements -- including team GPA above 3.0 and a single-year APR of 980 or higher -- and performance-based incentives. The on-field bonuses include playing in the AAC title game, winning the AAC championship, earning a bowl berth, an appearance in a New Year’s Six bowl game, a College Football Playoff appearance, winning a bowl game, winning the CFP national championship, completing an undefeated season, top-25, top-15 and top-10 finishes in the CFP standings, as well as bonuses for winning conference or national coach of the year honors.”

Nice bump.

This is the same salary that UCF paid Heupel, so Gus did not give any discount. He got fair value for that job. And that seems to be the only option he had.

I don’t understand your point.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

No, you weren’t. UCF won the lottery with this one.

Reactions: Spawn
This is the same salary that UCF paid Heupel, so Gus did not give any discount. He got fair value for that job. And that seems to be the only option he had.

I don’t understand your point.

Ok, my point is that I was called crazy and delusional for saying we could get Gus for a small base salary that was heavily incentive laden. He is coaching for a $500,000 base salary. This even though he has won a national championship and many believe should not have been fired from AU

Last edited:

VN Store

Back