Bruce Feldman Tweet about Tennessee...

Ok, my point is that I was called crazy and delusional for saying we could get Gus for a small base salary that was heavily incentive laden. He is coaching for a $500,000 base salary.
I’ll have to give you that one. But you’ve got to admit, it’s amazing that Gus is coaching immediately after getting a $20 million buyout. The man could literally make the same salary he’s getting at UCF in investment income without ever lifting a finger.

I’ll have to give you that one. But you’ve got to admit, it’s amazing that Gus is coaching immediately after getting a $20 million buyout. The man could literally make the same salary he’s getting at UCF in investment income without ever lifting a finger.

Exactly, especially since he has already been paid half of his buyout. This is an example of Gus coaching for less than HIS market value due to his perception of the state of the UCF program. I am sure that the true market value for Gus was higher as other P5 programs would have been willing to pay more than this for his services

Ok, my point is that I was called crazy and delusional for saying we could get Gus for a small base salary that was heavily incentive laden. He is coaching for a $500,000 base salary.

I was for sure in favor of checking Gus out during the period we were discussing getting rid of Pruitt when we were still entertaining change with his 12 mil buyout. A more economical solution for sure. I think lots of schools feared his ability to put together a strong staff as a recently fired coach from a P5 position. Did they get a bargain of did he merely find the level he needs ti be at? It is possible that he had played out the Peter Principle at AU, as close to a true peer job to UT that is out there. All TBD.

I am not sure he would have taken on our job with all the negativity that surrounded us at that time. He would have to do his own risk/reward analysis for tackling our job with resources impacted by nearly 20 mil in buyouts as it stood at that time. I don't think after DW arrived there was any consideration by him or us. He was an option, but hard to put him in the no-brainer or homerun category.

I was for sure in favor of checking Gus out during the period we were discussing getting rid of Pruitt when we were still entertaining change with his 12 mil buyout. A more economical solution for sure. I think lots of schools feared his ability to put together a strong staff as a recently fired coach from a P5 position. Did they get a bargain of did he merely find the level he needs ti be at? It is possible that he had played out the Peter Principle at AU, as close to a true peer job to UT that is out there. All TBD.

I am not sure he would have taken on our job with all the negativity that surrounded us at that time. He would have to do his own risk/reward analysis for tackling our job with resources impacted by nearly 20 mil in buyouts as it stood at that time. I don't think after DW arrived there was any consideration by him or us. He was an option, but hard to put him in the no-brainer or homerun category.

My original post was in jest. Yet I was called delusional that a natty winning coach would accept a job with a heavily incentive based deal. Yet that is what he has done. His buyout from AU is unmitigated. Thus it makes up for any shortfall in compensation from UCF.

I agree with you that he may not have even considered us and we may not have considered him. I think he his doing just what you said. The risk/reward for him is in his favor. He is going to a program that is on a solid foundation and is in a conference that is easier to win in. So he took less than what other schools could have paid him to spend time in UCF rehabbing his career.

Reactions: GUNTERSVOL
Looks like I wasn’t the only person who thought Gus might take less pay or a heavy incentive laden deal.

According to Al.com, the deal that Gus just signed is a 2.3 million per year. This is a heavily inventive based deal.

“His contract with UCF, where he was introduced as head coach Monday afternoon, includes $500,000 in base salary with $1.8 million in media and speaking engagements, as well as endorsement rights. It also includes up to $500,000 in incentives per year, with bonuses for academic achievements -- including team GPA above 3.0 and a single-year APR of 980 or higher -- and performance-based incentives. The on-field bonuses include playing in the AAC title game, winning the AAC championship, earning a bowl berth, an appearance in a New Year’s Six bowl game, a College Football Playoff appearance, winning a bowl game, winning the CFP national championship, completing an undefeated season, top-25, top-15 and top-10 finishes in the CFP standings, as well as bonuses for winning conference or national coach of the year honors.”

So I was not as delusional thought.

UCF traded up.

Tennessee
Texas
South Carolina
Arizona
Illinois
Vanderbilt

FYP

Auburn Fired Malzahn on December 13th, South Carolina hired Beamer on December 5th, and Vanderbilt hired Lea on December 15th, Arizona interviewed Fisch as the final of two candidates on December 14th hired the 22nd, Illinois interviewed Beilema on December 14th hired the 19th.

Texas fired Herman, and hired Sarkisian the same day, they didn't seem to have any other targets as long as Sarkisian said yes. Fulmer (inexplicably) hired Steele who seemed to be involved in Malzahn's firing, and we are under looming NCAA sanctions, so he was never coming here regardless of the opening.

Last edited:
What quality P5 job is open?

Wait...so your logic is that because no power 5 job is open RIGHT NOW, this is all he could get? That's ridiculous. Could he not have gotten a job earlier when they were open?

How many Power 5 jobs have been open THIS CYCLE and they didn't offer Gus? That's the relevant question.

He wasn't a power 5 commodity. So he had to take a mid-major job. He could've waited a year if he thought he'd get a power 5 offer. Auburn is paying him plenty not to coach.

Ok, my point is that I was called crazy and delusional for saying we could get Gus for a small base salary that was heavily incentive laden. He is coaching for a $500,000 base salary. This even though he has won a national championship and many believe should not have been fired from AU

That is simply not true: “$500,000 in base salary with $1.8 million in media and speaking engagements, as well as endorsement rights.”

So...Gus’s guaranteed base salary is $2.3 million, which, again, is fair market value for that job.

Note that Heupel’s UT contract is structured the same way with only $275k in salary and $3,725k in the other “stuff.” And Heupel has heavy incentives, too.

If Gus had been hired by UT or another SEC school, he would have asked for fair value for that school.

Wait...so your logic is that because no power 5 job is open RIGHT NOW, this is all he could get? That's ridiculous. Could he not have gotten a job earlier when they were open?

How many Power 5 jobs have been open THIS CYCLE and they didn't offer Gus? That's the relevant question.

He wasn't a power 5 commodity. So he had to take a mid-major job. He could've waited a year if he thought he'd get a power 5 offer. Auburn is paying him plenty not to coach.
UCF is better than two-thirds of P5 jobs.

Reactions: Border Vol
FYP

Auburn Fired Malzahn on December 13th, South Carolina hired Beamer on December 5th, and Vanderbilt hired Lea on December 15th, Arizona Fisch interviewed as the final of two candidates on December 14th hired the 22nd, Illinois interviewed Beilema on December 14th hired the 19th.

Texas fired Herman, and hired Sarkisian the same day, they didn't seem to have any other targets as long as Sarkisian said yes. Fulmer (inexplicably) hired Steele who seemed to be involved in Malzahn's firing, and we are under looming NCAA sanctions, so he was never coming here regardless of the opening.
Credit to you for the research on the timing. Forgot that a few of those fired coaches during the season.

Although... the way things work with ADs and agents floating names, the hard dates for firings probably aren’t ironclad indications of when conversations could have happened, but your point is still solid.

Reactions: sjt18
That is simply not true: “$500,000 in base salary with $1.8 million in media and speaking engagements, as well as endorsement rights.”

So...Gus’s guaranteed base salary is $2.3 million, which, again, is fair market value for that job.

Note that Heupel’s UT contract is structured the same way with only $275k in salary and $3,725k in the other “stuff.” And Heupel has heavy incentives, too.

If Gus had been hired by UT or another SEC school, he would have asked for fair value for that school.

Ok I see that but still he has chosen to accept less than what he could have earned at any of the other P5 schools. The deal is incentive laden and again less than a P5 school.

Just because Gus chose to accept less than he could make does not take away the fact that he could make more. Also having supplemental income from Auburn is helping the numbers on his side.

Just for reference he was being paid $6.927 million per year at Auburn. Here are other recent national championship winning coaches salaries.

$9.3 million - Nick Saban
$8.3 million - Dabo Swinney
$6.0 million - Coach O

The average power 5 coach made $4.4 million in 2020. Also the avg SEC coaches salary is $4.978 million. Many believe that Gus was a successful P5 coach and should not have been fired. Also he is being touted as the best coach in the state of Florida now.

So I see where you state the fair market for what UCF has historically paid. That does don’t change the fair market value for a P5 coach and especially one that has a national championship on his resume.

Last edited:
Except for his 1st season at Auburn... Gus typically loses 4 or more games each season. While he has shown some success in his head-to-head matchups vs Saban, he typically loses to teams he shouldn't.
Screenshot_20210216-111657_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Ok I see that but still he has chosen to accept less than what he could have earned at any of the other P5 schools. The deal is incentive laden and again less than a P5 school.

Just because Gus chose to accept less than he could make does not take away the fact that he could make more. Also having supplemental income from Auburn is helping the numbers on his side.

Just for reference he was being paid $6.927 million per year at Auburn. Here are other recent national championship winning coaches salaries.

$9.3 million - Nick Saban
$8.3 million - Dabo Swinney
$6.0 million - Coach O

The average power 5 coach made $4.4 million in 2020. Also the avg SEC coaches salary is $4.978 million. Many believe that Gus was a successful P5 coach and should not have been fired. Also he is being touted as the best coach in the state of Florida now.

So I see where you state the fair market for what UCF has historically paid. That does don’t change the fair market value for a P5 coach and especially one that has a national championship on his resume.

Hint: there were no P5 jobs available for Gus or he would be making more money. It’s all relative.

Hint: there were no P5 jobs available for Gus or he would be making more money. It’s all relative.

Seven power 5 coaches were fired in 2020. Gus was 1 of them. Therefore he had 6 opportunities to earn a P5 salary but was linked to none. He also did not have to start coaching again this cycle. He had $21 million reasons not to coach this year. He took less than the national average for his services. UCF was working with beer money and managed to buy champagne.

Last edited:
Reactions: Border Vol
People pee on Mahlzan's record. But wait for 3 seasons and you'll look back and wish and beg for that hire versus what we got.

All the fault of the sanctions and Pruitt and AD White being cocky thinking he could walk into the SEC and swing his c*ck around like a big deal. We struck out swinging and the batter is on his knees.

People pee on Mahlzan's record. But wait for 3 seasons and you'll look back and wish and beg for that hire versus what we got.
Nope. Hiring him would have been a mistake regardless of whether hiring Heupel was a mistake or not. The difference is that if Heupel is a mistake it will cost much less and be much easier to correct.

All the fault of the sanctions and Pruitt and AD White being cocky thinking he could walk into the SEC and swing his c*ck around like a big deal. We struck out swinging and the batter is on his knees.
Maybe we should wait and see what they're able to do before declaring it done?

Disagree with your characterization of White completely.

Reactions: papatomany

VN Store

Back