Brett McMurphy source: College Football Season is Done

This is exactly how I feel. It’s like you are expected to pick a side....you have to either decide it’s a total hoax and nothing worse than the common cold or you have to believe it’s basically the end of mankind as we know it.
All I'm saying is be like Sweden.

Keep things cautiously open and focus on protecting the vulnerable.

If they said. Everyone should wear masks, not make it a law, but suggest that we should wear them. The younger and healthy people should still work with minor restrictions on capacity and we need to focus on protecting nursing homes and elderly people. Protect the one's most likely to die, while the younger folks develop a herd immunity.

This is what Sweden attempted to do.

They did better with their economy than any country in Europe, which also lowered the suicide rate and other mental health issues that existed in countries that had a rigorous lockdown.
They lost a lot of older folks in nursing homes in the beginning. But now it looks like it has passed through the younger population and they aren't seeing many deaths at all. Some days it's at zero.

In America it became this divisive political issue, as our experts and leaders bumbled along with mixed messages, misinformation and unnecessary fear mongering.

Is heatstroke contagious?

No. But it’s deadly. You’re okay with players dying so long as it’s not contagious? Nobody tried to cancel the sport after any of the heatstroke deaths, but they are trying to cancel the sport over something that’s somewhere between a medium cold and light flu for these players.

The fact that you flippantly dismiss 30 dead players from heatstroke because it’s not contagious is sad. You really don’t care about player safety, you care about pushing the panic narrative.

No. But it’s deadly. You’re okay with players dying so long as it’s not contagious? Nobody tried to cancel the sport after any of the heatstroke deaths, but they are trying to cancel the sport over something that’s somewhere between a medium cold and light flu for these players.

The fact that you flippantly dismiss 30 dead players from heatstroke because it’s not contagious is sad. You really don’t care about player safety, you care about pushing the panic narrative.

I'm not dismissing the risk of heat stroke or any death. But, a player knows the risk of heat stroke, and he chooses to take it for himself and himself alone. He doesn't choose to take the risk for himself and his family members, friends, and anyone else he might expose to heat stroke.

Reactions: ohhbother and 08Vol
I'm not dismissing the risk of heat stroke or any death. But, a player knows the risk of heat stroke, and he chooses to take it for himself and himself alone. He doesn't choose to take the risk for himself and his family members, friends, and anyone else he might expose to heat stroke.

That’s it, change the discussion from player safety to player family member safety. And using your own logic in dismissing heatstroke “a player knows the risk,” everyone in America knows the risk of catching corona and not properly washing hands, staying outside of 6 feet, wearing mask, etc. Players can die of heatstroke because they know the risk, and we don’t have to shut down the sport. But we do have to shut the sport down for Corona where everyone in the entire world has had the risks shoved down their throats for the last 7 months?

Doesn’t make sense, seems political, seems like a major overreaction. 30 deaths from heatstroke, 0 deaths from corona, but cancel the sport because some players’ cousins and brothers and uncles may get sick from something that they’ll have a 99% chance of recovering from?

If China was in the SEC, they’d draw Vanderbilt and Missouri
Ha!
So you think UK has passed Mizzou in the pecking order. Interesting.

But really good read there.

The twitter post cited in the article (and OP) doesn't really back up the statement. I suspect the conclusion is correct, but the article is pointless and offers no clues or info to back up the statement of the title.

It's never been just a player safety issue. It doesn't matter what parameters you want to place on the issue, it will not change reality.

We were discussing player safety. I pointed out the nonsense of that by giving just one of many examples; heatstroke practice deaths. I could have also pointed out players getting paralyzed on the field, players getting maimed for life, players getting CTE through concussions, etc. All of this decidedly worse in the long term than a player getting a cold.

But because you, nor anyone else, can adequately dispute the silliness of this being a “player safety issue” in the sport of football, you drag in family members of players as the issue. Here’s a reality for you to accept; this virus, like everything else in our country right now, has become wildly political and it’ll stay that way until after 11/3.

People STILL seemed confused about the nature of viral community spread. NO ONE is arguing that college athletes’ health is in imminent danger because of COVID. But by participating in a sport like football that increases the chance of athletes becoming infected, you thereby put the larger community at risk because of the ease of spread. It’s the non athletes that athletes will invariably spread it to that makes everyone nervous. Why can’t people understand this basic concept?

I understand that, what I don’t understand is the fact that people think that anything shy of a complete shutdown( no essential workers, complete blackout) that this will go away. At one time there was a guy on a plane back from China, now there are 100s of thousands infected in the states. If we are going to stop this thing we have to completely shutdown(unreasonable and far more dangerous) or we have to acknowledge the fact that this is here to stay.

We were discussing player safety. I pointed out the nonsense of that by giving just one of many examples; heatstroke practice deaths. I could have also pointed out players getting paralyzed on the field, players getting maimed for life, players getting CTE through concussions, etc. All of this decidedly worse in the long term than a player getting a cold.

But because you, nor anyone else, can adequately dispute the silliness of this being a “player safety issue” in the sport of football, you drag in family members of players as the issue. Here’s a reality for you to accept; this virus, like everything else in our country right now, has become wildly political and it’ll stay that way until after 11/3.

Trying to limit this discussion to player safety is like limiting a discussion of the dangers of drunk driving to just the guy who chose to drink and drive.

Reactions: ohhbother and 08Vol

It's become political because unlike the several other countries that accepted the idea of staying home and wearing masks (none of whom give a sh** about our election, incidentally), we have a bunch of pandemic deniers who would rather blame political parties than change their own behavior even a little bit

I honestly believe...again just my opinion and no real facts to back it up...that the MAC cancelled fall sports due to just the sheer financial strain of placing all the necessary protocols, testing, social distancing barriers, etc. in place. A lot of the smaller conferences and universities will cancel for the same and call it 'player safety' when really it's a financial decision from losing revunue from the P5 and lack of fans in stands.

I don’t buy player safety and never have. These athletes would be tested twice weekly and their contacts closely monitored. I’m sure they were all going to take online classes. Instead we release them into the general student population and community where the spread is the highest. I told my son earlier that I’ve come to terms that the inmates are running the asylum

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
Ha!
So you think UK has passed Mizzou in the pecking order. Interesting.

But really good read there.

The twitter post cited in the article (and OP) doesn't really back up the statement. I suspect the conclusion is correct, but the article is pointless and offers no clues or info to back up the statement of the title.

Kentucky has easily surpassed Mizzou in the pecking order imo. Mizzou will be 6th and maybe even last in the east if this season is played.

Last edited:
Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back