Breaking: SEC Approves Conference Only Schedule - Season starts Sep 26

Would there be a way to put college players In a bouble like the NBA? If not college football and the NFL will probably go through the same thing MLB is now.

Reactions: Volanta
Man, are people who write for 24-7 sports really this stupid?

"With the SEC set to play a conference-only season, the South Carolina Gamecocks will add two more league opponents to the schedule in 2020. The assumption is that both would come from the West division."

Since SCAR already plays every team in the east and they're only playing SEC teams, pretty obvious any new opponents come from the west.

Finebaum updates additional SEC opponents for South Carolina

Would there be a way to put college players In a bouble like the NBA? If not college football and the NFL will probably go through the same thing MLB is now.
No, but they essentially will be in one except for class. They certainly will be incentivized to keep away from people. Which will be difficult, but it will probably keep them fraternizing less than they otherwise would be.

Lets scrap current schedule . Let each SEC team play 5 within division, then 5-cross division, balance Strength of Schedule as much as possible.

Didnt they recently start their football program in the last few yrs??
Yeah . . . They started back up about 4-5 years ago and got lucky when Georgia Southern and App State decided to move up to FBS and the SoCon needed teams. They went from no program to probably one of the best FCS conferences in a matter of a couple of years.

Please explain....
OU lost their QB. Top WR. All their best defenders... and they let LSU hang 60 on them with all of that.

They wouldn't even 3rd in the SEC West. Maybe in the East? Between us and them.
They didn't play defense anyway, not sure that one matters. While hurts was good, Rattler will probably already be a better passer than him, though he's going to obviously need some seasoning.

They'd be 2nd or 3rd in the west imo. Behind Bama, for sure, and right around the level of LSU and Auburn. They're better than us, but not much better i don't believe. Probably behind Georgia and Florida, but again pretty close.

We already play most of those teams, which goes back to my original point of whoever we add (except for LSU probably) will be worse than Oklahoma, so A&M, Ole Miss, Auburn imo, Mississippi State are worse.

They do, but they wouldn’t in the SEC. They were lucky to get there last year after the K State loss and the 2 close wins over Baylor. Don’t get me wrong, OU is a great program and Lincoln is an amazing QB coach and offensive mind, but they’ve gotten outclassed the last few years.
I agree. But I think there 4th or 5th in SEC. We already play at least 3 of those teams though, which was my point. Anyone except for LSU, will probably be worse than the Oklahoma.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Then why start classes in mid-August and have them wrap up before Thanksgiving?
This is to keep students on campus and then not have them return once the holidays start. You can start in August and eliminate all holidays (Labor Day/Fall Break) and get all the necessary days in by Thanksgiving break. You cannot start after Labor Day and get done by Thanksgiving Break...students would have to come back to campus after going home for Thanksgiving and being around large families (some) and possibly bring it back to campus.

That being said, my son is in his last semester at UT and his classes are online for Fall. They were all in-person, but have moved to online.

I know a lot of folks here that work in the AD at Mercer. They’re all in scramble mode over their budgets because they were supposed to open @Vandy.
many people are predicting lawsuits. The theory is that you can't use an "act of God" clause when you replaced the games. If that happens, SEC teams may have to chose between paying FCS schools not to play or cutting back to an 8-game schedule. Personally, I hope we don't sue VU. What I'd really love, although it is incredibly unlikely, is if the FCS schools could somehow leverage these cancelled games into ironclad deals for a home-and-home in the future. Vandy in Macon might not excite many non-Bears, but could you imagine the Dawgs playing ETSU in Johnson City? How cool would that be?

I'm not going to make up the whole loss myself, but I am prepared to make another donation this year. Hopefully, Jim will reach out to us with some sort of plan.

many people are predicting lawsuits. The theory is that you can't use an "act of God" clause when you replaced the games. If that happens, SEC teams may have to chose between paying FCS schools not to play or cutting back to an 8-game schedule. Personally, I hope we don't sue VU. What I'd really love, although it is incredibly unlikely, is if the FCS schools could somehow leverage these cancelled games into ironclad deals for a home-and-home in the future. Vandy in Macon might not excite many non-Bears, but could you imagine the Dawgs playing ETSU in Johnson City? How cool would that be?

I'm not going to make up the whole loss myself, but I am prepared to make another donation this year. Hopefully, Jim will reach out to us with some sort of plan.
I was talking to a pretty big Ga Southern booster over the weekend, and he was already talking about the "act of God" argument. Really think P5 schools are either going to have to guarantee a rescheduled date or negotiate some sort of buyout for the contracts.

Probably not home and home, would be more profitable to be gate and gate at the SEC school..... it would be wild to see some of these SEC schools play in stadiums smaller than Vandy's

Texas A&M has stated current schedules will be blown up. This means we will probably not play Florida first.
Want to watch your engaged buddy's head explode? Tell him the Oct 17 Open Date is now filled with Florida. How many people have that set for their wedding?

VN Store

Back