Breaking: SEC Approves Conference Only Schedule - Season starts Sep 26

Probably right, looks like everyone on the roster is going to get playing time this year then. Did baseball cancel because of it, I haven't heard that if so.

It has not cancelled yet, but now the Phillies have 2 players with it and their games have been postponed a few days. It's only going to get worse. A season with 60 games is going to get blown to swiss cheese and these teams will be luck to play half those games I think.

Reactions: 08Vol
Probably right, looks like everyone on the roster is going to get playing time this year then. Did baseball cancel because of it, I haven't heard that if so.

The crappy thing about football and this virus is that there are so many players on a football team and this virus is so contagious. In just one football game you have, lets say 30 different players per team see action on the field. That's 60 players plus all the other bench guys, trainers and coaches on the sidelines. If just one person on that field has covid, within a week you could have 30 or 40 people test positive. And that's just from ONE game. Football is probably the worst possible sport for the spread of this virus.

Reactions: onevol74
It has not cancelled yet, but now the Phillies have 2 players with it and their games have been postponed a few days. It's only going to get worse. A season with 60 games is going to get blown to swiss cheese and these teams will be luck to play half those games I think.
Why, once the starters get it they miss 14 days, they'll be back and likely healthy for the rest of the year. I don't think they'll have any problem playing 60 games with the 60 man rosters they all have, like I said, the backups will get nearly as much playing time as the starters, same for football.

The crappy thing about football and this virus is that there are so many players on a football team and this virus is so contagious. In just one football game you have, lets say 30 different players per team see action on the field. That's 60 players plus all the other bench guys, trainers and coaches on the sidelines. If just one person on that field has covid, within a week you could have 30 or 40 people test positive. And that's just from ONE game. Football is probably the worst possible sport for the spread of this virus.
We'll see, that's your opinion but I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen, probably why they are all trying and moving along slowly.

Why, once the starters get it they miss 14 days, they'll be back and likely healthy for the rest of the year. I don't think they'll have any problem playing 60 games with the 60 man rosters they all have, like I said, the backups will get nearly as much playing time as the starters, same for football.

I don't think it will work like that. Once you put all those players in a locker room together, it will spread fast. You can say "put in the backups" but once a team has a full load of cases, other teams wont be welcoming them into their stadiums. It's just not going to happen. This is not "next man up" like the injury bug or something.

Reactions: 08Vol and onevol74
We'll see, that's your opinion but I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen, probably why they are all trying and moving along slowly.
It's definitely just my opinion, but nobody has dared even trying to play a game like football yet (outside of a bubble situation like soccer/NBA etc).
Like I said earlier, they will push and push and push to play and keep delaying and cancelling games as long as they can. Sooner or later it will get to the point that there are so few games left that it wont be worth the risk.

And then, here comes spring football.

I’m happy they are at least announcing some sort of plan. But whats the difference between 10 games and 12?

Want to bet. It has already been said that schedules will be rearranged.
Why would you re-arrange a game that is already scheduled for that day? That makes no sense. It sucks to open vs. UF but I can't see the SEC changing that one.

I’m happy they are at least announcing some sort of plan. But whats the difference between 10 games and 12?
I'm reading into this that they are thinking by Sept 26, the case numbers will have died down. Makes sense.

Covid may have actually made this season a lot more interesting. Kinda like that year UT - Florida was postponed because of a hurricane - to the last game of the year. We won that one.

The victims are the Charlottes, ETSUs, Southern Miss and schools that rely on getting a payout for a practice game. Oh, and yes, Georgia State too. They are going to take a hit, unless the big boy conferences has to pay them anyway, and I don't know the answer to that. Anybody know?

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
They might get destroyed every year in the playoff, but they do get there.
They do, but they wouldn’t in the SEC. They were lucky to get there last year after the K State loss and the 2 close wins over Baylor. Don’t get me wrong, OU is a great program and Lincoln is an amazing QB coach and offensive mind, but they’ve gotten outclassed the last few years.

The victims are the Charlottes, ETSUs, Southern Miss and schools that rely on getting a payout for a practice game. Oh, and yes, Georgia State too. They are going to take a hit, unless the big boy conferences has to pay them anyway, and I don't know the answer to that. Anybody know?

I'm sure that attorneys are hard at work trying to settle this right now, though there have been some murmurs about a change in conference "scheduling format" possibly providing an out for some programs based on potential language in the buy-game contracts.

In any event, it'll be interesting to see the future of games against G5/FCS opponents after this. An "easy" win is nice, but if fans get a taste for extended conference slates I'm sure that major programs would be interested in the likely revenue boost from 9 or 10 conference games and two or more major OOC matchups.

Last edited:
Why would you re-arrange a game that is already scheduled for that day? That makes no sense. It sucks to open vs. UF but I can't see the SEC changing that one.
To make schedules work they are going to have to move games around. For example, Florida and Kentucky were suppose to play on September 12. There is one other SEC game that day. On September 19, there was suppose to be 4 SEC games including UGA/Alabama. All of those will have to be rescheduled. To make things work they are going to have to make some major changes to schedules.

I'm reading into this that they are thinking by Sept 26, the case numbers will have died down. Makes sense.

Covid may have actually made this season a lot more interesting. Kinda like that year UT - Florida was postponed because of a hurricane - to the last game of the year. We won that one.
Game was postponed because of 9/11. The game that was postponed because of a hurricane was more recent and was LSU-UF not UT-UF.

The good news is no one else from the west is as good as Oklahoma was going to be anyway. I'm putting money on Ole Miss being one of the other two games we're going to get. A&M here might be the other.

Please explain....
OU lost their QB. Top WR. All their best defenders... and they let LSU hang 60 on them with all of that.

They wouldn't even 3rd in the SEC West. Maybe in the East? Between us and them.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Breaking

Will we open with the Gators? That would be...different.

I'm guessing they try to keep existing games scheduled and move the new conference games to dates previously occupied by non conference games.

Maybe we can start with Ole Miss.

No, those OOC teams are all SOL and will not get any payout from SEC teams. SI article ( The SEC would be giving up 12 high profile games with ACC and Big 12 opponents in order to play a 10-game conference-only schedule ) posted earlier in this thread explains it pretty well. Hopefully the season doesn't get canceled.

Then why start classes in mid-August and have them wrap up before Thanksgiving?

I don't think it will work like that. Once you put all those players in a locker room together, it will spread fast. You can say "put in the backups" but once a team has a full load of cases, other teams wont be welcoming them into their stadiums. It's just not going to happen. This is not "next man up" like the injury bug or something.
Correct! Do you think the governor of one state is going to allow an infected team from another state come in for a football game? Seriously hope not. And the effects of COVID is different in different people. If I were Trey Smith I would definitely consider sitting this season out. Make that any kid with a underlying health condition.

VN Store

Back