BREAKING: Knoxville police investigate alleged rape involving UT football player

All I'm saying is, taking a wait and see approach and waiting for solid sources to confirm isn't being in denial. I think it's fair to be skeptical of information posted by an anonymous person on a message board.

There would be no wait and see if I hadn't said anything. I am actually sorry for seeing something quite peculiar on campus and merely reporting it how it happened without convicting anyone of a crime...

Reactions: 2 people
Therein lies the issue...he's repeating what she said. Let's see if Von has an alibi and then follow the steps.

Completely agree. Why be quiet if nothing happened? Something likely happened because even without this thread (95% of students don't know what VN is), many students are talking about this for some reason.

I don't really know what you're arguing. The guys who went up to talk to her directly by the gate are standing firm with her stating that he assaulted her...

When you said something to the effect that "we aren't stupid, we know what the players look like" it was confusing. So people are wondering if she named him herself, or if she described a player and by that you guys inferred who she was talking about.

99% of VN would post similar threads had they had information like OP did. He didn't post names until people asked him, and probably wasn't/isn't sure how to handle a situation like this.

If he wasn't sure how to handle it, maybe posting It on the internet wasn't the best course of action.

Reactions: 4 people
"Keep your mouth shut" doesn't sound skeptical at all to me.

Take your own advice and calm down before attacking a college student for posting information about something major happening before his eyes. We're sitting behind phones/computers acting like we would never in a million years do something similar.

If someone told me They were raped I wouldn't post about it on VN, I don't think it's my place, but hey that's just me.

And I'm a student, it's not like I'm a 40 yr old trying to put a youngster in his place.

Reactions: 2 people
"Keep your mouth shut" doesn't sound skeptical at all to me.

Take your own advice and calm down before attacking a college student for posting information about something major happening before his eyes. We're sitting behind phones/computers acting like we would never in a million years do something similar.

See, this idea that everybody would have done the same thing in OP's position is kind of eating at me. I know we love (and, at the same time, hate) our insiders here on VN, but there are times when the public flat-out shouldn't know. Putting somebody's name out with criminal implications before any report or investigation is a mistake, plain and simple.

I'm not trying to put lock-and-key on OP's mouth. I just think that there's a right time to speak up, and this wasn't it. And I think more people know the value of discretion than you're claiming. I'm not calling OP a villain, and he absolutely did the right thing by getting this woman help, but getting on VN to tell everybody about it was a poor decision.

Reactions: 7 people
Completely agree. WHY BE QUIET IF NOTHING HAPPENED? Something likely happened because even without this thread (95% of students don't know what VN is), many students are talking about this for some reason.

The only thing I felt you handled wrong ORIGINALLY was "caving in" and giving up the name...the more you try to justify yourself the more you come off as a TMZ intern..."Why be quiet if NOTHING happened?" :blink: "All the other students are talking"...seriously? The high road is about 5 exits back buddy!

Reactions: 10 people
When you said something to the effect that "we aren't stupid, we know what the players look like" it was confusing. So people are wondering if she named him herself, or if she described a player and by that you guys inferred who she was talking about.

Yeah I apologize I was pretty distracted when responding to all of that. Just nevermind that whole premise; in this specific case, we can't fairly infer that she either knew or did not know who Von was or had any sort of relationship to him. I will apologize for that!

The only thing I felt you handled wrong ORIGINALLY was "caving in" and giving up the name...the more you try to justify yourself the more you come off as a TMZ intern..."Why be quiet if NOTHING happened?" :blink: "All the other students are talking"...seriously? The high road is about 5 exits back buddy!

Well said.

Reactions: 1 person

Black...dreadlocks...black

There would be no wait and see if I hadn't said anything. I am actually sorry for seeing something quite peculiar on campus and merely reporting it how it happened without convicting anyone of a crime...

Some information is better kept private man. You could've at least not outright named Von. If it's him, we will find out soon enough.

Yeah I apologize I was pretty distracted when responding to all of that. Just nevermind that whole premise; in this specific case, we can't fairly infer that she either knew or did not know who Von was or had any sort of relationship to him. I will apologize for that!

OK so wait, are you saying you don't know if she specifically said his name? I'm not here to blast you, just trying to understand.

Don't shoot the messenger. It would've been on here before an investigation anyway.
I like the people saying it's wrong to judge before an investigation, or conviction, but if a kid at another school gets in trouble there's a thread immediately in the ncaa forum. Calling the kid a thug, and insert coach only recruits thugs, they all cheat we don't comments.

Reactions: 4 people
OK so wait, are you saying you don't know if she specifically said his name? I'm not here to blast you, just trying to understand.

From what the TWO people said who confronted her asking her about what had happened, she indicated it was HIM.

Can you imagine this thread if I had just left it as anonymous? Jesus

Then you shouldn't have posted. Let it come out through the police... and THEN explain what you saw.

Naming the guy "because VolNation would have grilled me if I didn't" isn't exactly the best reason to do something.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back