Breakdown tn vs kentucky (merged)

meeks2patterson09

Im a diehard blue fan but, I love talking with fellow fans with how they are going to matchup and so on, I think its interesting to note that, Im not here to flame, Im here to support.

I respect Tn and what they have done but, on to the breakdown.

I think the matchup That's going to be interesting is the chism vs patterson matchup, How will chism play against this guy, patterson is averaging almost 22.4 pts per game and leads the nation in fieldgoal percentage, It will become a interior game Because Tn likes to play on the glass so which I like this matchup because of that.

Meeks factor? Who will guard meeks? If I was Tennessee I would put tabb on meeks but, then again I would put tyler smith too, this one is iffy because Meeks will get his points, It just depends on if Tennessee's pressure will get to him, He is averaging almost 25.4 pts a game, He has had 21 pts,24 pts, 29 pts, last few games, That is some big numbers right there.

Homefactor with Tn, This game is a huge game for both teams, I think it comes down To Who makes the breaks and Who gets the calls and knowing the home teams get most of them I wont argue with that because that's just how it is. This game will be close, if Tn plays normal I think Tn loses by 10 + but, if Tn plays like Regular Tn, I think they win by 10 or more, Should be interesting game.

I know it wasnt much of a breakdown but, Thats what I thought would happen.

Point guard play will be huge in this game too, liggins vs maze will be awesome to watch, both like to run up the floor and pick up the pace.

thoughts?

Chism/Williams/Negedu are all going to be abused by Patterson. All 3 will probably have at least 3 fouls, and I'm thinking Patterson will get at least 25/10.

I think if we manage to keep Tabb on Meeks for a majority of the game, we'll keep him to around 10 or less. I doubt we do though, and he'll end up going off when like JP is on him.

I'm not expecting a win TBH

Chism is our only chance of containing Patterson. The key is for him (Chism) to stay out of foul trouble. Hopefully we can attack Patterson early and get him in foul trouble instead.

I could see Meeks going off for 25+ or 30+ as that seems to be what most guards are doing against our team so far. I'd be surprised if he got less than 20 points and that's includes Tabb/whoever guarding him.

It's definitely a losable game but I think the home court advantage pushes us to a win.

Problem We Have Had is slow starts. In TBA you don't want to do that.

We are a pretty good basketball team but, We havent had a 3rd option besides patterson and meeks, it will be interesting who steps up for us tuesday night.

our group of guys play hardnose defense and We get in your face which is BCG's style. Patterson leads the nation in fieldgoal percentage and meeks leads the nation in scoring 2nd to curry. so, this game is a winnable game but, its also a losable game too.

I see the complete opposite.

There is no doubt that Patterson is a beast but Chism aint a scrub and Kentucky has played a couple of garbage post defenders lately. Great confidence builders for that young team but in no way did it get them ready for a down SEC schedule. I think Williams could take a couple of rebounds away from Patterson and Negedu could wear him down more but overall, he will abuse them on the offensive end.

Tabb is a lock down defender so I don't see Meeks getting 30 +. I think he can pest him under his season average but he'll still get his points.

Huge question is who is going to be Kentuckys 3rd scorer? We defend the 3 poorly and I see Porter getting more points than normally. I think bringing the ball up is going to be the biggest problem for KY. Liggins is too young and unproven and Porter turns the ball over too much. Pressure D is going to be huge and I see Patterson/Galloway or another big coming up a lot to distribute to Meeks. Darius Miller? No.

If this turns into a track meet than UT would run Kentucky out of TBA but I think their smart enough to slow it down and play solid zone to make this struggling team shoot out of it.

TN - 85
KY - 67

Don't flog me haha. I'm not disrespecting the Kats at all. I think we got enough big bodies to bang with Patterson and Meeks is only one player. Turnovers will dictate the tempo and in big games, UK has turned it over a lot (see Miami, UNC, and the Cards) that and this team is real young and this is only their 3rd true road game.

I'll be interested to see whether TN presses more in this game. Judging by the way KY handles it, I'd say that we might. Also, it seems like Stevenson always has big games against us (averaged 14 pts and 11 rebs against us in two games last year). If he can be that 3rd guy then we could be in trouble.

I see the complete opposite.

There is no doubt that Patterson is a beast but Chism aint a scrub and Kentucky has played a couple of garbage post defenders lately. Great confidence builders for that young team but in no way did it get them ready for a down SEC schedule. I think Williams could take a couple of rebounds away from Patterson and Negedu could wear him down more but overall, he will abuse them on the offensive end.

Tabb is a lock down defender so I don't see Meeks getting 30 +. I think he can pest him under his season average but he'll still get his points.

Huge question is who is going to be Kentuckys 3rd scorer? We defend the 3 poorly and I see Porter getting more points than normally. I think bringing the ball up is going to be the biggest problem for KY. Liggins is too young and unproven and Porter turns the ball over too much. Pressure D is going to be huge and I see Patterson/Galloway or another big coming up a lot to distribute to Meeks. Darius Miller? No.

If this turns into a track meet than UT would run Kentucky out of TBA but I think their smart enough to slow it down and play solid zone to make this struggling team shoot out of it.

TN - 85
KY - 67

Don't flog me haha. I'm not disrespecting the Kats at all. I think we got enough big bodies to bang with Patterson and Meeks is only one player. Turnovers will dictate the tempo and in big games, UK has turned it over a lot (see Miami, UNC, and the Cards) that and this team is real young and this is only their 3rd true road game.

Whatever

No matter how many scenarios I play out, in no way do I get a UT 85 UK 67 score.

However, I can see the opposite being true. Hopefully, we can put it all together and play a complete game. We have a lot of bodies to throw at Patterson, but that doesn't mean we will contain him. Our best case scenario is to bang on him and get him in early foul trouble.

If Meeks is on, he'll get 25+ regardless of who we put on him. If Ethiopian Stevenson gets a double/double, we're in trouble.

Where we have advantages are home court and point guard. We have to have someone on from 3. I've watched several UK games this year and they do leave open 3's. If Tatum or Hopson is hitting, then that bodes well for us. UK is a man to man defense, so we shouldn't see much zone. If we can attack the basket, we can have success.

If we press, we might have success, as Porter and Liggins struggle with turnovers. If it comes down to coaching, we are in trouble in a matchup with Clyde. If we continue with our M.O. we will get a double digit lead, only to see it whittled down to 4 before halftime, and then we will be down 10 points 5 minutes into the second half. If this happens, it will be a l-o-n-g night at TBA.

UK 73
UT 64

This game will be close, if Tn plays normal I think Tn loses by 10 + but, if Tn plays like Regular Tn, I think they win by 10 or more, Should be interesting game.

So, if UT's performance is "normal," UK will win, but if UT's performance is "regular," the Vols will win?

:eek:lol:

Kentucky is playing us on Tuesday. I sense the negativity here over Vols basketball, That seems to be because you guys are football fans. Most college teams lose games in mens basketball it happens. We played a tough schedule the toughest out there. Kentucky is going to come in not ready. They may win you never know. But our Defense is better than what they are used to. I know it needs improvement to be big time but this is the SEC not Big East and this is not the old KENTUCKY this is kentucky. I would put my guess on we slam them they come back because we are young and immature and then we slam them again.

It's a big game. If Kentucky can't get up for the league favorite, they should stay in Lexington. I have no clue how it will end up, but it should be a fun watch.

I usually analyze, but not now. i don't care how you break it down!!! WE MUST WIN THIS GAME!!!! This will be my first time in three years not being in TBA for this game.. Thank you scheduling change!!! We always played in Lexington first. Anyway, we MUST win, and I don't care how!!! Have Chism tell Patterson he's got a booger hanging out of his nose when he's guarding him or something!!!

I'll be interested to see whether TN presses more in this game. Judging by the way KY handles it, I'd say that we might. Also, it seems like Stevenson always has big games against us (averaged 14 pts and 11 rebs against us in two games last year). If he can be that 3rd guy then we could be in trouble.

Ky handles the press pretty well.....they have shown a lot of patience against the press and have not made many TO's due to a press for the past month or more.....

Ky's TO's come from dumb passes in half court primarily....not from the opposing press.

mm

Ky handles the press pretty well.....they have shown a lot of patience against the press and have not made many TO's due to a press for the past month or more.....

Ky's TO's come from dumb passes in half court primarily....not from the opposing press.

mm

Thanks for the info

d821

Kentucky fans hope the game comes down to coaching Tuesday night in Knoxville. Billy Clyde outcoached Pearl twice last season and should do the same tomorrow night. If the Cats don't take care of the basketball, Coach Rupp wouldn't be able to help them. If they don't have countless turnovers, they should prevail. That's my two cents, anyway.
:clapping:

Kentucky fans hope the game comes down to coaching Tuesday night in Knoxville. Billy Clyde outcoached Pearl twice last season and should do the same tomorrow night. If the Cats don't take care of the basketball, Coach Rupp wouldn't be able to help them. If they don't have countless turnovers, they should prevail. That's my two cents, anyway.
:clapping:

Out coached in the losing effort? i will never understand UK and their moral victories. More like UK hit a ton of shot clock buzzer beaters.

Out coached in the losing effort? i will never understand UK and their moral victories. More like UK hit a ton of shot clock buzzer beaters.

UK took us to the wire without their best player, Patterson. Pearl was outcoached in both games. The OP was correct. Lay off the kool-aid.

Moral victories at Kentucky? You know better than that. It was a loss and a loss is a loss. Kentucky went into Knoxville without Patrick Patterson and took a Vols team that was supposed to be among the best in the country to the wire. Billy Clyde had them prepared and ready without their best player. Call it what you want.

UK took us to the wire without their best player, Patterson. Pearl was outcoached in both games. The OP was correct. Lay off the kool-aid.

Im not on the kool aid look at my previous posts before you bash me. I live in KY and have to listen that, a win is a win over UK especially. With or without Patterson my point was UK hit a lot of shots that they normally didnt hit, including a few fade aways by Jasper, who was not known for his shooting.

Im not on the kool aid look at my previous posts before you bash me. I live in KY and have to listen that, a win is a win over UK especially. With or without Patterson my point was UK hit a lot of shots that they normally didnt hit, including a few fade aways by Jasper, who was not known for his shooting.

It was not my intention to bash you. However, being in denial that CBG outcoached Pearl in both meeting is incredibly bias.

It's in CBPs DNA to run, he should do so at every turn against UK. Wear their only two threats and highlight their penchant for TOs. We looked our best at UGA while running, so we should get back to it. Pearl is clearly at an advantage in that style play and our team isn't suited to the half court on either end.

I don't feel good about this game. Kentucky is the sort of team that capitalizes off of all our shortcomings thus far.

We may be able to turn them over, though.

VN Store

Back