Bowls

A win may give us a majorish bowl shot, Sugar, Cotton, Orange. A loss means we probably can the entire defense minus Garner.

I do hope we're back to our usual self come January so we can disembowel our opponent, whoever that may be.

This is usually the time of week when I start getting excited and optimistic again about the Vols, regardless of the prior week’s performance. But I got a bad bad feeling about this one. The team is in total disarray from what I can tell.

These bowls are meaningless. I’m just happy we had a real shot at the playoffs. It didn’t work out and that’s ok. Just fix the defense and we’re going to be a scary team in the future.

Reactions: Marquis
These bowls are meaningless. I’m just happy we had a real shot at the playoffs. It didn’t work out and that’s ok. Just fix the defense and we’re going to be a scary team in the future.
Need to be more balanced. We're offense heavy right now and that doesn't work when you run into a team with balance, like Georgia.

CFP picks the Cotton Bowl. Since LSU is either going to the playoff with a win or outside the top 8-10 with a loss, we are very likely to be the Orange Bowl as I think Bama has the Sugar Bowl locked up.
we are only assuming the Committee would throw them out of the top 10. For some reason they are holding LSU's value higher than any 2 loss team right now. We will have to score big on Vandy on saturday for them to drop LSU behind us imo. We are being punished for that South Carolina loss + the loss of Hendon Hooker. we got jibbed twice. Do not trust this failure of a committee to do the right thing. It wouldnt surprise me to see Tennessee get absolutely hosed come selection sunday.

we are only assuming the Committee would throw them out of the top 10. For some reason they are holding LSU's value higher than any 2 loss team right now. We will have to score big on Vandy on saturday for them to drop LSU behind us imo. We are being punished for that South Carolina loss + the loss of Hendon Hooker. we got jibbed twice. Do not trust this failure of a committee to do the right thing. It wouldnt surprise me to see Tennessee get absolutely hosed come selection sunday.

I see no world where an 10-3 LSU stays ranked ahead of 10-2 Bama and 10-2 Tennessee.. I would be shocked if a 3 loss team stays in the Top 8 after the final rankings.

In regards to LSU being held higher, I agree with it 100%. The CFP is sort of investing in LSU by keeping them at 5 these last couple weeks. Beat UGA and they are in the Playoff. Lose and get a 3rd loss and they are out.

It is pretty much a low risk / high reward ranking that the committee did.

If LSU goes 11-2, their resumê would be the most impressive one in the Top 10 of teams even with a 13-0 Big Ten Champ....

Beating 3 Top 7 teams in a 7 game win streak to close the season is very impressive. LSU is in this spot because they are a coincidental victim of their SEC schedule.

If they had Top Ten Ole Miss or Bama earlier in their schedule, they prolly aren't at this ranking.

Reactions: bpalmer28
I see no world where an 10-3 LSU stays ranked ahead of 10-2 Bama and 10-2 Tennessee.. I would be shocked if a 3 loss team stays in the Top 8 after the final rankings.

In regards to LSU being held higher, I agree with it 100%. The CFP is sort of investing in LSU by keeping them at 5 these last couple weeks. Beat UGA and they are in the Playoff. Lose and get a 3rd loss and they are out.

It is pretty much a low risk / high reward ranking that the committee did.

If LSU goes 11-2, their resumê would be the most impressive one in the Top 10 of teams even with a 13-0 Big Ten Champ....

Beating 3 Top 7 teams in a 7 game win streak to close the season is very impressive. LSU is in this spot because they are a coincidental victim of their SEC schedule.

If they had Top Ten Ole Miss or Bama earlier in their schedule, they prolly aren't at this ranking.
Joel Klatt released a video today. Normall i do not like the guy, he hates the SEC bias. But the video he released today talking about the failed experiment that is the committee. He nailed it on the money. No way should they be ranked ahead of USC at this point. If you havent watched it i would recommend doing so.

Joel Klatt released a video today. Normall i do not like the guy, he hates the SEC bias. But the video he released today talking about the failed experiment that is the committee. He nailed it on the money. No way should they be ranked ahead of USC at this point. If you havent watched it i would recommend doing so.

I saw it but he’s delusional. LSU’s wins more than make up for their losses. FSU likely going 9-3 helps too. But if LSU has wins over top 7 Ole Miss, Bama, and #1 Georgia, there is nothing on USC’s schedule or resumè that comes close to those 3 wins. USC could very well not face a top ten opponent all season. And LSU would have 3 wins vs top 10 (actually Top 7) teams.

I agree with Klatt. Top ten should look like this.
Ga 11-0
OSU 11-0
Michigan 11-0
TCU 11-0
USC 10-1
Clemson 10-1
Tennessee 9-2
Penn St 9-2
LSU 9-2
Ala 9-2
Oregon 9-2
Period .

Reactions: Orange12
You want to play a weaker opponent. I think most like me would rather see us in Orange playing Clemson or a higher profile team. You can’t shy away from playing the best competition. Your insinuation that we can’t win a bigger game is pretty weak coming from a Vol fan. I want the best bowl we can get the highest we can. GBO!

Just a difference of opinion. We all have them. I personally don't think we're beating Clemson, K state, or any of the big boys - not with a backup QB and the way we just got trounced. For those reasons I'd rather play a weaker opponent and get the win.

Bowls mean something to the fanbase, the players who will not have a bright future in the NFL, and the alumni. It still matters, but the landscape is changing where it may not become something we relish.

The SEC should've done like the BIG12 and made it to where the next team in the standings go to the Sugar instead of the highest ranked. It makes sense for the Orange to select from the highest ranked but since the Sugar is tied to the SEC it should take no.2 in the conference standings. The polls can carry too much bias where as the standings give you the next best conference team. It also potentially punishes teams for having a tougher non conference schedule.

Just a difference of opinion. We all have them. I personally don't think we're beating Clemson, K state, or any of the big boys - not with a backup QB and the way we just got trounced. For those reasons I'd rather play a weaker opponent and get the win.
How do you win a bowl game when significant players opt out?

Reactions: onevol74

VN Store

Back